Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Computer Building

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:489784
  • Souls Baptized:795,312
  • Squadron:Kilo

I feel that I need to contribute to the forums, so I thought I could help out by making gaming and/or rendering builds for the members. Just post the format below, and I or anyone that wants to help will post a build

*Budget:
Minimal Storage amount:
*What the PC will be generally used for:
Overclocking?:
SSD? (If price is right):

If anyone would also like a guide to building a computer, I can take pictures of the one I am building when my PSU comes in.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Theophilos

Theophilos

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,696 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:320624
  • Souls Baptized:5,332,509
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

I feel that I need to contribute to the forums, so I thought I could help out by making gaming and/or rendering builds for the members. Just post the format below, and I or anyone that wants to help will post a build

*Budget:
Minimal Storage amount:
Overclocking?:
If anyone would also like a guide to building a computer, I can take pictures of the one I am building when my PSU comes in.

Oh yes, please do. Should be interesting to follow your progress.

mJnoONX.png

Partout où nécessité fait loi

Quodsi ea mihi maxime inpenderet tamen hoc animo fui semper, ut invidiam virtute partam gloriam, non invidiam putarem

3TPCKxk.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:

well this is what i got thats currenctly being shipped

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1pzJe
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1pzJe/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1pzJe/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $232.49)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $109.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $142.48)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $67.24)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (Purchased For $89.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $67.24)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($419.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $84.41)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  (Purchased For $99.99)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($57.73 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00)
Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard  (Purchased For $76.99)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $49.99)
Total: $1498.53
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-08 17:49 EDT-0400)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:

Just bought the graphics card, got it for 400 even saved 40ish bucks on it. Just waiting for the PSU,SSD and GPU to arrive in the mail hopefully all tomorrow!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lanyaie

Lanyaie

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 243 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:532122

Just bought the graphics card, got it for 400 even saved 40ish bucks on it. Just waiting for the PSU,SSD and GPU to arrive in the mail hopefully all tomorrow!

Nice, I can't post it all detailed like you but my gaming PC is really top end because I just keep replacing parts as they become...bad

I have the same CPU you do i5-4670

8gb ram    

1TB   and a few external ones for my endless amount of games which reminded me I have to uninstall a lot of them

GTX 770

And about a dual montior setup   from asus (too lazy to check which model)

I'm anxiously waiting for a game that can challenge this build  i've tried the highest games none seem to be capable, crysis 3 which I think is a shit game I only downloaded to see if it could. 
hope the next gen games will be more intensive, I think this build can still last me a few years.

Edited by Lanyaie, 12 August 2013 - 10:26 PM.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lanyaie

Lanyaie

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 243 posts
  • Resources:

You got a good deal on it for a good card, capable of running anything around for quite a while.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:

I found a way to get things cheaper in my build i saved 170(including 30bucks mail rebate) bucks doing it this way. Also got a free copy of splinter cell game(new one). Do you have the 4670k or 4670? 4670k is the new haswell one. I plan to buy another 770 once my tax return comes in and run SLI on it and add another 8gb ram to get 16gb on it which really isnt necessary but figure i want the clean all slot filled look.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lanyaie

Lanyaie

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 243 posts
  • Resources:

I have the 4670,   maybe in the future 8gb extra would be helpful but so far I'm completely satisfied with my setup.  the most intensive thing I can imagine doing with it is running 6 Eve online clients   http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=7644&game=EVE%20Online:%20Odyssey

3 running ISboxer   if you'd play the game you'd understand why it's so helpful with 6 accounts and having fraps+Teamspeak and youtube on at the same time. so far nothing. I really hope to see some new high end games in 2014.  I usually play MMO's which don't require a hardcore PC.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:

I plan to play BF4 on max settings :D

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:040973
  • Souls Baptized:7,122,755
  • Discord ID:Blade

I'm putting a 7970-L in my next rig... becuase why the hell not? xD

40973-detailed.png

Blade 619 you have been baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

I will remember this, Blade, and I will be forever grateful... oh hell words fail me!  ( @ )( @ )

Revenge is best served cold, tasting of vanilla yoghurt with vanilla and chocolate balls.

Leave it to Blade to step in and say the most completely true post in this thread. You make my day Sir.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

Minister of the Dark Arts

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:162944
  • Souls Baptized:1,876,873
Best bang for buck gpu in your opinion?

Or best GPU for laptops these days. I think overall budget would be $800 with has well and at least an SSD for windows ops.

Also, without metro, is win 8 better than win 7 in day to day ops? I always remove all the visual candy for win2k look.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lanyaie

Lanyaie

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 243 posts
  • Resources:

I plan to play BF4 on max settings :D

BF 4 from what I've seen and heard doesn't seem to be that intensive, it should run perfectly with that setup

I'm putting a 7970-L in my next rig... becuase why the hell not? xD

Get nvidia or go home.

Best bang for buck gpu in your opinion?

Or best GPU for laptops these days. I think overall budget would be $800 with has well and at least an SSD for windows ops.

Also, without metro, is win 8 better than win 7 in day to day ops? I always remove all the visual candy for win2k look.

For latops I'd have no clue but I do know the 600 line has some good desktop ones which are reasonably priced also windows 8 is shit I'll stick to windows 7 or vista

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Mia

Mia

Formattrix General [Salmia]

• NM|Former Member
  • 1,864 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:533501
  • Squadron:Alpha

*Budget:
Minimal Storage amount:
Overclocking?:

He is right about nividia. As for a decent laptop, depends on what you're trying to build for capacity/usage. Whether it is walking talking home PC, it is going to cost more than $600, for a decent laptop to build, it is around $600-$800 without the rip offs people try to sell you.

Posted Image
Have the strength to accept that which you cannot change,
Have the courage to change that which you can,
The gratitude to be grateful for what you've been given,
The faith that if it is meant to be, you'll see it again
And the fortitude to walk forward with the lessons learned if not.

Member of the Bitch-Slap Robot Hippies Club

[7:56:10 PM] Crusty Juggler: i taunted the cloud with lightning in it and it started peeing on me
[1:50:50 AM] Bama: I am quite inteeligent.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:

I'm never that fussed with Nvidia... My bitcoin hashing wouth be faster on the 7970 (last time I checked).

Best laptop GPU is a bit of a misnoma... should be "most tolerable and least likely to break under stress laptop GPU".

40973-detailed.png

I will remember this, Blade, and I will be forever grateful... oh hell words fail me!  ( @ )( @ )

Revenge is best served cold, tasting of vanilla yoghurt with vanilla and chocolate balls.

Leave it to Blade to step in and say the most completely true post in this thread. You make my day Sir.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:

Well the Radeon HD 7990 is a good price right now though but they do have issues having more than two of them in crossfire. Plus it does give a little stutter when crossfired. I prefer SLI myself. I build a computer every couple of months for fun. I actually am going to get my A+ cert here soon so I can repair mobile phones, laptops and desktops without having companies try not to honor stuff :P

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:

I'm never that fussed with Nvidia... My bitcoin hashing wouth be faster on the 7970 (last time I checked).

Best laptop GPU is a bit of a misnoma... should be "most tolerable and least likely to break under stress laptop GPU".

Should also have nice cooling so you dont burn yourself with heat. I like my hackintosh i made.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:

Should also have nice cooling so you dont burn yourself with heat. I like my hackintosh i made.

Yeah... my little 4k series runs at about 110-120 when i put it under stress... poor thing xD.

See... I'm unlikely to ever need to crossfire a 7990... that's a LOT of juice.

40973-detailed.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:

Well I can get two for 500 but i hate AMD graphics card with intel it just seems to have some errors to them atleast in my builds. Plus i get free games from Nvida every couple of months for buying so many  graphics cards lol

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lanyaie

Lanyaie

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 243 posts
  • Resources:

I have a shitton of games installed, everytime I feel like getting rid of them I just get bored and stop odds are that if you mention a good well known game I should have it installed. (I'm quite sure less than 40% of those are completed battlefield 3 for instance I only used to do multiplayer on it until I uninstalled it) 

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

thecapo

thecapo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 255 posts
  • Resources:

I been meaning to post some pictures but i cant find my camera charger for the life of me. Once i go and get my 3 moniters or 2nd graphics card and another two sticks of ram i will show you lot.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users