Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ebola Case in Texas

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811
  • Squadron:Kilo

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/30/health/ebola-us/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

If Ebola has finally made its way to America, lets pray it doesn't become airborne. At least for now it can only be spread through bodily fluids.

Perhaps its time we start doinga better job at screening those who enter our country both legally, and illegally. Entering the the US from another continent, you get screened for symptoms and other signs. Close up our porous southern border and use tunnel detection systems to prevent illegal entry. Those wishing to cross the border legally must submit to the same level of health screening. Adopting the same screening procedures for the Canadian border wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Perhaps this incident will finally convince the American public that having a secured border isn't a bad thing. Its not racist, elitist, heartless, mean, or rude to have a border that is well protected. Its about keeping America safe from threats. If a poor and impoverished Mexican national can walk across our border in search for a better life, then surely a well funded terrorist whom is hell bent on causing destruction could gain entry to America as well.

The Ebola issue isn't just related to the medical field, it also is calling into play our country's abysmal Foreign Affairs policy, along with the current lack of security our borders face.

On a happier note, perhaps Admin will code a new event regarding dealy viruses. And Orange Team Senate will have to vote on it.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

And it looks like the person came in contact with numerous people after showing symptoms. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple more Ebola infections emerge within the new few weeks.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:040973
  • Souls Baptized:7,122,755
  • Discord ID:Blade
Sounds like he flew, so probably legally on a tourist visa. Would certainly be interesting if the disease spread beyond Africa.

40973-detailed.png

Blade 619 you have been baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

I will remember this, Blade, and I will be forever grateful... oh hell words fail me!  ( @ )( @ )

Revenge is best served cold, tasting of vanilla yoghurt with vanilla and chocolate balls.

Leave it to Blade to step in and say the most completely true post in this thread. You make my day Sir.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blaskowicz

Blaskowicz

Bungalow Bill

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,548 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:289177
  • Souls Baptized:1,592,418

My biggest fear regarding Ebola is getting it used in terrorism. We've got a particularly crazy (and surprisingly competent) strain of terrorists right now in the Middle East that has the willingness and know-how to spread this in the world.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

--------
"If you know the enemy and know yourself,
you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Sun Tzu, The Art of War
--------
Former Councilor - Bored Artist - Ze Big Brother of Angel

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:

My biggest fear regarding Ebola is getting it used in terrorism. We've got a particularly crazy (and surprisingly competent) strain of terrorists right now in the Middle East that has the willingness and know-how to spread this in the world.

There are far worse things they could spread with similar ease. Luckily they're currently obsessed with their own lands.

40973-detailed.png

I will remember this, Blade, and I will be forever grateful... oh hell words fail me!  ( @ )( @ )

Revenge is best served cold, tasting of vanilla yoghurt with vanilla and chocolate balls.

Leave it to Blade to step in and say the most completely true post in this thread. You make my day Sir.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard

Steadfast

• NM|Former Member
  • 4,871 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:449726
  • Souls Baptized:3,970,043

:picard:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire
Maybe I will go live in the wild after all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard

Steadfast

• NM|Former Member
  • 4,871 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:449726
  • Souls Baptized:3,970,043

Though is does remind me of something I vaguely remember about something about a man with a sickness trying to expose others as a terror act.

I have no idea what that is or it is just a jumbled up memory of something that happened.
For some reason I am thinking it happened in Elementary but I can't picture that as an episode, might have being something else I watched. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

There are far worse things they could spread with similar ease. Luckily they're currently obsessed with their own lands.

You're absolutely right, Blade. Our country's shipping ports and railways are prime examples of how Chemical/Biological material could be smuggled into the country.

In all honesty I'm actually amazed something like that hasn't already happened over the years. I graduated from College with a Criminal Justice Degree so I got a good look into how poorly our entry points are safeguarded. Consider that some of the recent 'terror incidents' over the past 5 years have failed, a good share of them was because luck happened to be on our side that day. Or the incident was only supposed to be a dry run.

Former Member of the VOC

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ElementalPhase

ElementalPhase

Wrought IRON

• BR|Member
  • 218 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:561813
  • Souls Baptized:140604
  • Discord ID:Enum

Deploy all the nukes!!! jk

Nukes taken: 4

EjVyaxs.jpg?1

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:534338
  • Souls Baptized:773,445
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

Bah, I've had the swine flu and it wouldn't shock me if I had gotten West Nile down here in mosquito haven. Any disease that kills me deserves to spread.

Hippie Warrior

tumblr_ltn48fQZK51qlktl7o1_500.gif

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Jayman00007

Jayman00007

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 472 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:552200
  • Souls Baptized:19726
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

Honestly, I think that it doesn't pose nearly as much as a threat as its hyped to be in america. The great thing for us is that it is not an airborne virus, and as DeathMerchant said before, it can only be transmitted through bodily fluids. From what I have read on the BBC (Which has been discussing the Ebola problem for a much longer period of time then american news) the virus hasn't mutated since is inception in 1976, so tomorrow it wont decide to mutate and go airborne. The Bio Terror is a concerning factor, but it is very unlikely ISIS or another terrorist group has the knowledge or resources to weaponize ebola. Hopefully this man will recover just as well as the others did.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

1 Nuke Taken for IRON

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595

Build a wall on our borders, 8 foot high, 3 feet wide. And don't give me the any shit that isn't an impossible, Mount Rushmore, Hover Dam, the rail road. It can create US job, and a secure border is a happy border. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

Build a wall on our borders, 8 foot high, 3 feet wide. And don't give me the any shit that isn't an impossible, Mount Rushmore, Hover Dam, the rail road. It can create US job, and a secure border is a happy border. 

Great Wall of China. If they could build that with shovels, we should be able to build a wall 1,000 meters high, encircling the entire country by now. The IRON curtain ×10. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:

Well, I was meaning America, The Great wall of China is a Chinese accomplishment. But it works to. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ElementalPhase

ElementalPhase

Wrought IRON

• BR|Member
  • 218 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:561813
  • Souls Baptized:140604
  • Discord ID:Enum

Honestly, I think that it doesn't pose nearly as much as a threat as its hyped to be in america. The great thing for us is that it is not an airborne virus, and as DeathMerchant said before, it can only be transmitted through bodily fluids. From what I have read on the BBC (Which has been discussing the Ebola problem for a much longer period of time then american news) the virus hasn't mutated since is inception in 1976, so tomorrow it wont decide to mutate and go airborne. The Bio Terror is a concerning factor, but it is very unlikely ISIS or another terrorist group has the knowledge or resources to weaponize ebola. Hopefully this man will recover just as well as the others did.

Let me kiss you then :P jk

Nukes taken: 4

EjVyaxs.jpg?1

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:

From what I have read on the BBC (Which has been discussing the Ebola problem for a much longer period of time then american news) the virus hasn't mutated since is inception in 1976, so tomorrow it wont decide to mutate and go airborne.

The virus mutates with every new outbreak (and several times within an outbreak) which is why it has varied from a 95% kill rate to a 70% kill rate and change in kill times etc. However it has not mutated to develop any new methods of transmission. Additionally it wouldn't be that hard to achieve. If I had it and sneezed onto you you could catch it due to the bodily fluid transmission.

However all being said and done, at this point in time Ebola is not an important threat to the vast majority of the worlds population due to it's relative isolation. One could also argue that if the US does develop a home grown case that would be very good for the global population as it'd likely force research at an incredibly high pace.

40973-detailed.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Third King

Third King

Retired

• NM|Former Member
  • 6,250 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:352151
  • Souls Baptized:4,287,567

Maybe I will go live in the wild after all.

Alright, that was damn funny.

My 2 cents on this: The U.S. is one of most prepared to handle something like this (I live just around the corner from Emory, where they treated 2 other Ebola patients), so I'm confident it'll all be OK.

Kicking this much ass makes me warm and fuzzy.
Third King you have been Baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:

true, if any country could stop this virus, it be america. Though that being said, I had a weird dream about sickness last night. Hate that shit. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Deputy A

Deputy A

Tempered IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 1,247 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:551489

Ebola is a threat, I would say that people should start contributing monetarily, if they can, to the NGOs that are doing work in Africa, the faster this threat goes, the faster the world can become safer from this deadly disease

Not sure if you are aware (you are at 100 tech, so maybe you do know, but gonna say it anyway), when you are buying tech to send out, NEVER have more than 100 on hand at one time. You should be profiting from selling tech if you are using the 12 step format. Starting at 0 tech, buy 12 batches in this order: one batch of 4.5, then two batches of 10, then a batch of 5, then four batches of 10, a batch of 5, two batches of 10, and finally a batch of 5.5.

NOTE:
If you have an odd number of tech that is less than 0.5 tech (0.01 to 0.49), ignore it as if it doesnt exist. This can happen from being hit in war and losing partial tech. So if you have 0.34 tech, buy like normal using the steps exactly. (You'd have 4.84 in this example after buying the first batch of 4.5...and end with 100.34 after all batches are bought).)

If you have an odd number more than 0.5 (0.51 to 0.99), you would buy only 4 on the first batch, not 4.5. So if you have 0.69 tech, you only buy 4 tech on the first batch, then follow all other steps exactly. (You'd have 4.69 in this example after buying the first batch of 4 instead of 4.5...and end with 100.19 after all batches are bought. Then your next time buying you'd follow the above example having less than 0.5 tech remaining.)

o/
JC
Echo MS

0.0 to 4.5 (4.5)
4.5 to 14.5 (10)
4.5 to 24.5 (10)
24.5 to 29.5 (5)
29.5 to 39.5 (10)
39.5 to 49.5 (10)
49.5 to 59.5 (10)
59.5 to 69.5 (10)
69.5 to 74.5 (5)