Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Get the ball rolling, PC builds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595
  • Squadron:Kilo

So this ball needs to get rolling and surprised this hasn't been discussed yet.

So I'm going to be wanting to build a PC. More Pacifically a Gaming PC. I have a general Idea what I like, and I want this Computer to be high end computer. 

People with PC building Experience, I want your recommendations. 

So, I've never built a PC before, but have researched it in the past. 

I will need the whole set up. 

Mouse,

Keyboard,

Monitor, 

Power Unit,

Cooling Unit,

Graphic Card, 

Mother Board,

Memory, I have a bad habit of not deleating much of anything but Cookies and small files, so I will need probally TB memory if not more, 

The Tower itself,

(Then My memory comes foggy with other parts of the PC build. )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811

Before we can start, how much are you willing to spend? Low level build $600-$750? Mid level $800-$1150? High end $1200-$1800+ ?

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
I want a high end build. At this point I was expecting to spend over 1000 easily.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

If you want something high end which will give you great performance for years to come, then go with this build I've linked below.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-high-end-gaming-pc/

Don't want to spend almost $2K? Some of these parts are slighlty cheaper than when they first came out. Howeverthere are ways to save money on this build by doing this: ditch the 2 SSDs and get a 1-2 TD HDD, skip the blu ray drive and get a cheap dvd drive instead, and this last one is entriely up to you but if all you will be doing is playing games then go with 8GB of RAM. But get 16 GB of RAM if you plan on doing video editing, lots of photoshop, or running multiple hardware intensive programs at once.

Still don't want to spend quite that much? Then go with this build instead.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-recommended-mid-range-gaming-pc/

Only thing I would change is get the Nvidia 980 instead of the 970. 970 claims to be 4 GB of memory, which is true, however the last 500 MB of memory is of a slower type. So once you use that slower memory, you will experience problems as your card struggles to keep up. This will only happen if you are running multiple 1080[ or 4K monitors. If you're using one 1080p monitor and all you will be doing is gaming, then the 970 will be more than adequte for several years. My personal plan is to buy the 980 once the 990 gets released. Should happen by sometime late fall or winter and I'm hoping the price drops into the $400-$450 (or if a special deal comes up)

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:

alright, this a good start, but I'm still going to need a mouse, keyboard, and Windows 10 Operating system, and a monitor also. 

I do for sure want the 16 ram. I've always ran a lower processing power, so the best processing power would be great. I'm just wondering how many cores that ones has. Graphics Card is actually more expensive then I was expecting, but if I'm going to be streaming, processing and Graphics are a must. Power Supply seems fine. Memory, I have to say, I'm a bit worried about the size of the memory. I tend to not delete games I'm no longer playing. So, maybe an upgrade there if possible? CPU Cooler, I see no problems with it. DVD drive, Might as well go for the main one for the price. Case, I'll look around a bit more.

So,

$339

$230

$520

$145

$88

$41

$95 (Best looking case I've seen so far).

$110

I removed the memory prices right now till we find some better memory. Thoughts on bigger memory?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

I5 and I7 only has 4 cores. But they are much more efficient than AMDs 8 core processor. I have an 8 core, and I would have to over lock just to get to the stock performance of an I5 4 core. As for the hard drive, go with a 1 or 2 TB traditional hard drive. SSDs are expensive and don't offer much space currently. I suspect in the next 2 years we will see inexpensive 500 GB and 1TB SSDs. As for the graphics card, definitely go with an 980 if you plan on doing all of that.

Former Member of the VOC

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

JacobZuma

JacobZuma

Forged

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 97 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:577929
  • Squadron:Alpha

As the other guys said, GTX 980 graphics card. I'd say the choice between MSI or Gigabyte is just personal preference. I opted for the MSI but it was out of stock so I settled for the Gigabyte. Use a website where you can compare the different parts. I forgot the one I used but it was easy to use and really cool, will look it up for you.

You'd want the i7-4790 4.00 ghz CPU and then pick any motherboard, that's what I did lol. I ended up buying the Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 chipset, but I really wanted to get the MSI Intel Z97 Gaming 7 chipset but it was out of stock and I couldn't wait for it. I'm satisfied with the Gigabyte though and it's SLI compatible as well as M2 memory which is pretty much the future.

If you really want to spoil yourself get a Samsung 128 or 256gb M2. It's more compact than the SSD's and they have really great reviews. Do some research into it - the Samsung 256 and 512 gb is by far the best at the moment and the 128gb isn't that expensive. Use that for your OS and important programmes, it will run really fast. Then get a few 2 TB hard drives for how many space you need. Just make sure whichever motherboard you choose supports the M2 memory, and the capacity. Many of the older motherboards will have a problem supporting 512gb.

The Chasis is again personal preference. I can tell you that I got the Corsair Carbide 200R ATX case and it's awesome. It's not big (my brother has this huge case that takes up A LOT of space and he doesn't even use all the slots). The 200R is small and compact but it can still fit in 4 SSD's, 4 HDD's and it has more than enough room for the big GTX 980. It's cheap and it's effective, honestly. Another good chasis is the Fractal Design R5 but it's a big case.

Regarding RAM get DDR-4 but make sure the motherboard supports it - otherwise get Vengeance DDR3.

Posted Image

Robert2424

Robert2424

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
Right. Tb's were what I was thinking. Other then that a need a mouse with a the scrolling thing. Sure that's cheap. Keyboards are cheep. I saw one today for 3 bucks. Case can wait while I save some money.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Zacch

Zacch

Cast IRON

• Military - Delta Officers
  • 609 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:531407
  • Souls Baptized:708,171
  • Squadron:Delta

Intel I7 CPU

MSI Mobo

Nvidia 900 Series GPU

Samsung 850Evo 1TB SSD & 1TB HDD (HDD good for media storage)

Corsiar/G.Skill 16GB Ram

However if your willing to spend the money I would wait for the new Intel Skylake processor family to come out.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Zacch

Zacch

Cast IRON

• Military - Delta Officers
  • 609 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:531407
  • Souls Baptized:708,171
  • Squadron:Delta

Mouse & Keyboard

Razer Mouse & Steelseries Keyboard (Model Type depends on type of games you play)

Monitor

Doesn't really make much of a difference, 2k resolution (If you want to spend a lot of money, True IPS is said to be elite, 4k is another option but youll need a large screen to run in 4k as it makes everything super small)

Power Unit

Corsair, Use PSU calculator to size for your particular build

Cooling Unit

CPU I assume, Again depends on personal preference. Do you plan on building this yourself?

Graphic Card

Nvidia 900 Series

Mother Board

MSI Z97

RAM

Corsair Vengence or G.Skill Ripjaws

Storage

Samsung EVO 850 SSD, Generic HDD (1TB Each)

CPU

Intel I7 4790 Haswell

Case

Personal preference, generally whatever you find cool, internal lighting systems, case fan configurations and misc add-on features.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users