Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PCmasterace: question of budget gaming pc

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

Minister of the Dark Arts

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:162944
  • Souls Baptized:1,876,873
  • Squadron:Kilo
Looking for gaming Pc $400 range, ok I'll be lowlevelPCmasterrace but yea.

Can I squeeze in something better than 750ti, I would need to rub it on my consoleunderling mates.

I know 750ti with true multicore processor is on par or better than consoles, but yea, my minimum requirement is definitely to be noticably better than console poops. 1080 good settings will do the trick.

Now I have some grasp on the gfx cards, but I really have lost touch with motherboards processors etc. My last custom build was a decade ago.

I really didn't plan on getting a pc, but let's just say I have unexpected savings lol.

Edited by Shahenshah, 30 December 2015 - 10:18 AM.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811

I would highly recommend paying more than that. Build your own to save cost or buy refurbished parts. You can get cheap AMD CPUs and mother board combo packs. Get 8 Gigs of RAM. Find a cheap but large enough case and a cheap CPU cooler. But I do recommend spending a little more on a graphics card. You don't want it to be obsolete within a year.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Hung Wang

Hung Wang

Baptized

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 751 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:583597
  • Souls Baptized:

AMD is definitely the way to go for budget gaming. Nvidia is great but they're overpriced and you don't necessarily need a 750ti. What kind of gaming are you looking to do?

"-17.60 - Your population absolutely hates you."

Posted Image

Life is the difference between jumping out of a third story window and jumping off a penthouse suite.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:040973
  • Souls Baptized:7,122,755
  • Discord ID:Blade
A 7970 will run the vast majority of things at 1080p and is massively cheaper than the 750ti (last I checked).

Personally I'd go 16gb rather than 8gb... and on your budget, definitely a self built, or partially self built AMD rig. Check gumtree for someone selling something cheap which has an adequate PSU, Mobo and HDD / SHDD already installed in the case, then you can swap upgrades to the ram / CPU / GPU in periodically as funds free up.

40973-detailed.png

Blade 619 you have been baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

I will remember this, Blade, and I will be forever grateful... oh hell words fail me!  ( @ )( @ )

Revenge is best served cold, tasting of vanilla yoghurt with vanilla and chocolate balls.

Leave it to Blade to step in and say the most completely true post in this thread. You make my day Sir.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:

I've realised going for second-hand parts still under warranty can be a huge saver.

Figured, while I'm at it, let's do this proper.

i5 4460

AMD r9 380/380x/ or (290 second hand at same price!), nVidia is definately over priced here. 

8 gigs for now, i can easily add 8 more later

1 tb 

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

I've realised going for second-hand parts still under warranty can be a huge saver.

Figured, while I'm at it, let's do this proper.

i5 4460

AMD r9 380/380x/ or (290 second hand at same price!), nVidia is definately over priced here. 

8 gigs for now, i can easily add 8 more later

1 tb 

Just add in a motherboard compatible with the CPU, and then buy a CPU cooler.  Not sure if the CPU you listed has a stock cooler, but most of them are garbage so I would spend $10-20 and buy a good one.

I take it you have a Case/Tower available?

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

Hey guys, could you recommend me a good config for approx. $1000? The time has finally come...

Edited by ccabal86, 15 January 2016 - 06:01 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

If you will be spending that much, I recommend waiting a couple more months. NVIDIA is about to release their new GPU line and it looks like its going to be quite the game changer. Even if you do not want their new cards, the price of the 970 and 980 will drop significantly.

Former Member of the VOC

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
Actually both are, AMD just announced Polaris.

DM, I'm not gonna overclock, do I still need cpu cooler?

For thousand, ccabal, i7 xxxxK+16gigs+ 980?

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

I forgot about Polaris. I will admit I do not follow AMD that much anymore. Almost everything these days is coded to take advantage of Intel and Nvidia architecture. Which is unfortunate if you are trying to future proof your computer as much as possible.

I would still buy a CPU cooler, if you google stock coolers you will see the general consensus is to forgo the stock one. And besides the cost of buying one is pocket change compared to the rest of the hardware.

If it is strictly a gaming PC just go for I5 series CPUs. There is some debate regarding the I7 Hyperthreading having a slight slowing problem in certain games. I7 is nice for video editing, music creation, PhotoShop, and other CPU intensive programs. But when it comes to just gaming, it often makes sense to buy the cheaper I5. Unless of course you want to run multiple applications at once while gaming.

Former Member of the VOC

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

All righty guys, I guess I'll wait till the new product lines are out, seems like they will make a lot of things cheaper. Any ETA on either the GPU or Polaris? I'm thinking of going with AMD though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

NVIDIA Pascal is supposed to be released Q1 or Q2. And I think AMD is releasing Polaris shortly after. I would put NVIDIA between March-April. With AMD following 2 month after. All of this is of course making an educated guess from the summarized speculation.

Former Member of the VOC

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:

I do have one question, and that is of power efficiency, the only thing is in, it's great for laptops etc, but does one should give a shit about it on desktop? 

AMD is slotted for mid 2016 from what I recall. Not sure about Nvidia Pascal. 

Ccabal, new products really are a generational leap from 28nm? to 14-16nm, hopefully, it's not just the power efficiency curve like it was for intel 3rd gen vs 4th gen, sure the battery lasted longer, but did the 'performance' improve alot? CPU performance improve by 10%?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/7

Everyone's becoming sucker for battery, so the desktop enthusiasts, who care less about battery life(it's a desktop) and more about performance are stuck with minor performance increments lately.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:

*Edit: This is much better:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/15

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Hung Wang

Hung Wang

Baptized

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 751 posts
  • Resources:
  • Souls Baptized:

I agree with going for an i5 processor if this is going to be a gaming rig. Although, a lot of i7s should be dropping again soon. I went with an i7 4790k and it never really budges if I play games, even on ultra. As for cooling... you could pick up a nice H100i. All 4 of my cores are between 33 and 35 degrees Celsius. I've seen them  peak as high as 59 with 90% consumption. AMD I'm not as familiar with, but the h100i comes with a frame for AMD processors.

ccabal, if you haven't already, remember to plan ahead. There are some pretty banger deals that come up, so if you have a case in mind currently, keep an eye for sales on it. My case was on sale, $20 off and then it also had a $20 rebate offer tied to it. SSDs also pop up with great deals here and there. I've gotten 500 gigs for as low as $128 with high end performance. Also don't forget about the operating system, unless you plan on acquiring it through other means.

Posted Image

Life is the difference between jumping out of a third story window and jumping off a penthouse suite.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
Just bought the rig,

I5 4460, Gtx 970, 8 gig, 1 t, monitor keyboard etc. Total hit around $950. Now I need a chair.

Edited by Shahenshah, 19 January 2016 - 07:58 PM.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Hung Wang

Hung Wang

Baptized

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 751 posts
  • Resources:
  • Souls Baptized:

Nice, you bought a pre built rig, or did you just finish building it?

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
I went to shop, told him these are the parts I need. Got the price locked, then said, I'll take a monitor too if you assemble it for me :>

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Hung Wang

Hung Wang

Baptized

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 751 posts
  • Resources:
  • Souls Baptized:

Nice, you have a picture yet?

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Prime Minister Johns

Prime Minister Johns

IRON cat

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 61 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:586700
  • Squadron:Alpha

i would like to see a picture too

Posted Image