Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

would anyone be interested in a SW/sci-fi RP? [4/5 slots filled]

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:589288
  • Souls Baptized:56,643
  • Squadron:Delta
'tis been a while since someone tried to start an RP, and that's deathmerchant's GTA RP that didn't quite take off from a year ago. so, I was thinking of a simpler, smaller thing to test (maybe 5 people at the most) if people want to jump on board with this.

sci-fi is my specific genre, so i'm inclined to do RP's based around star wars and 40k.. trek, maybe. depends, really! maybe I'll rotate between those after each game.

it won't be poll-based, but a legit narrative based system with character creation and stats. if you're familiar with traditional wargaming and RP, that's even better, because I'll try to make it like a simpler watered-down chinese knockoff homebrew version of stuff I've come across.

i'll be using online dice for it from here: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

Posthumously saw action during the Doom House-NPO War. God Save Pentaria.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I CAN'T SEE A THING IN THIS HELMET
Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811
  • Squadron:Kilo
Quite the coincidence you posted this! I have actually been working on a small RP and was going to be posting it next week. Something fun for us to do over the summer. I had contemplated doing a Sci fi, Star Wars theme but I realized how difficult ship combat would be. Its easy when everyone is on at the same time, but when you have a PBP (play by post) game going, it becomes horribly drawn out when dealing with combat factors. Are ships firing main/secondary weapons, managing power output, shield strength, evasive maneuvers? Now calculate that with whoever else they are fighting. And you have to wait for others to respond to counter the attack. Unless of course everyone is on the same side and no PVP is allowed, or if PVP is allowed the attacks are very basic (ship 1 fires on fast ship 2, roll D6, hit successful for rolls 5 or higher). Firefly is actually a great setting for an RP because it revolves primarily around character development and the crew running missions together. Not so much combat but largely character interaction with each other or NPC, and the occasional trading/supply run.

The theme for the RP I will be starting centers around the players running a private military contract company. Set in a fictional wartorn country, different factions are vying for control and resources. Since these factions have been unable to break the stalemate after years of fighting, they begin to hire PMCs to do their dirty work. The players will have access to their faction's arms dealer to procure weaponry and hire more contractors to take on more jobs. Role play and strategy will be quite prominent in this game.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys

Cast IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 583 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:592061
  • Souls Baptized:10,981
  • Squadron:Alpha

Wait so what is this... RP thing?

//

I mean I know what it is and what you do but what does it mean in this context?

Echo Sqad Master Sergeant
Mentor
Recruiter
Editor

Mentee: evilfix

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
Its a role play game. Players play by posting about their character or group. The person running makes sure rules are followed, do dice rolls, creates events, or takes on NPC characters.

Everyone is encouraged to be as creative and indepth as they want.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:

Quite the coincidence you posted this! I have actually been working on a small RP and was going to be posting it next week. Something fun for us to do over the summer. I had contemplated doing a Sci fi, Star Wars theme but I realized how difficult ship combat would be. Its easy when everyone is on at the same time, but when you have a PBP (play by post) game going, it becomes horribly drawn out when dealing with combat factors. Are ships firing main/secondary weapons, managing power output, shield strength, evasive maneuvers? Now calculate that with whoever else they are fighting. And you have to wait for others to respond to counter the attack. Unless of course everyone is on the same side and no PVP is allowed, or if PVP is allowed the attacks are very basic (ship 1 fires on fast ship 2, roll D6, hit successful for rolls 5 or higher). Firefly is actually a great setting for an RP because it revolves primarily around character development and the crew running missions together. Not so much combat but largely character interaction with each other or NPC, and the occasional trading/supply run.
The theme for the RP I will be starting centers around the players running a private military contract company. Set in a fictional wartorn country, different factions are vying for control and resources. Since these factions have been unable to break the stalemate after years of fighting, they begin to hire PMCs to do their dirty work. The players will have access to their faction's arms dealer to procure weaponry and hire more contractors to take on more jobs. Role play and strategy will be quite prominent in this game.

ah, starships. that's a different story on its own. i've found that ground based RP's (but grounded in the lore and fluff) at the individual level are much easier to handle, though.

that PMC one sounds exciting. i've read that you made your own formulas to determine things for your own RPs, right? if the system seems adaptable enough i might as well spin a homebrew version of that.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

that PMC one sounds exciting. i've read that you made your own formulas to determine things for your own RPs, right? if the system seems adaptable enough i might as well spin a homebrew version of that.

Indeed. I ran a Dutch East India themed game many years ago on another forum. And I wrote out a zombie theme rule set for a different game which unfortunately was never played. I have often found it easier to write my own ruleset as most other play by post RPs are either too simple, or too complex.

Former Member of the VOC

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Black Rook

Black Rook

Baptized

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 800 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:590694
  • Discord ID:Black Rook
I'll play, be warned I are noob 😛

-----

And thank you to Blade the most merciful Master of Nukes

-----

Posted Image

ZI is good for you[iron]>
builds character[iron]>

-----

And thank you to Blade the most merciful Master of Nukes

-----

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:

Indeed. I ran a Dutch East India themed game many years ago on another forum. And I wrote out a zombie theme rule set for a different game which unfortunately was never played. I have often found it easier to write my own ruleset as most other play by post RPs are either too simple, or too complex.

hmm. mind if you share some rulesets?

I'll play, be warned I are noob

don't worry i'll make it ez pz. it's going to be like a squad-based RP thing

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

I would be willing to share it, if I could find it... I have about 9 TB of storage so who knows where it ended up after all these years. Once I finish balancing my rule set for my new RP, I would be more than glad to share it with you. In fact, I'll even rewrite some sections so that it could be better modified for other RPs. Most of the rule sets I create are usually for one specific game. Because the setting/themes are always vastly different. But I really should just create one generalized system that could be ported to another RP with minimal modifications.

Former Member of the VOC

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:

I would be willing to share it, if I could find it... I have about 9 TB of storage so who knows where it ended up after all these years. Once I finish balancing my rule set for my new RP, I would be more than glad to share it with you. In fact, I'll even rewrite some sections so that it could be better modified for other RPs. Most of the rule sets I create are usually for one specific game. Because the setting/themes are always vastly different. But I really should just create one generalized system that could be ported to another RP with minimal modifications.

much thanks! balance is always the main thing I struggle with, so any existing and working system always helps as a reference.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Theophilos

Theophilos

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,696 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:320624
  • Souls Baptized:5,332,509
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

Yes

mJnoONX.png

Partout où nécessité fait loi

Quodsi ea mihi maxime inpenderet tamen hoc animo fui semper, ut invidiam virtute partam gloriam, non invidiam putarem

3TPCKxk.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:

Yes

the cat's interested! we'll go for 5 slots for now.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Theophilos

Theophilos

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,696 posts
  • Resources:

Meow

mJnoONX.png

Quodsi ea mihi maxime inpenderet tamen hoc animo fui semper, ut invidiam virtute partam gloriam, non invidiam putarem

3TPCKxk.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:
the list right now then. 2/5. are you interested, myrrdin?

Black Rook
Theophilos

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Theophilos

Theophilos

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,696 posts
  • Resources:

bump

mJnoONX.png

3TPCKxk.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:
merp, bump

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:
Pick a scenario - yeah, this one's going to be Star Wars themed.

1) Set shortly after the loss of the first Death Star at Yavin, the Rebel Alliance decides to push their advantage by launching small-scale, but numerous offensives against the Galactic Empire to set them further off balance. You are part of a small Rebel Pathfinder task force, sent to disable a well-defended Imperial sector communication hub on the planet Jelucan in the Outer Rim Territories.

2) You are a group of Jedi apprentices during the final days of the Clone Wars. The conflict has just ended and Palpatine has declared himself Emperor by reorganizing the the Galactic Republic into the new Empire. He has enacted a secret order implanted into the Jedi's clone army - one to betray and hunt them down. You and your group must survive this purge by your own former troops and find transport off-planet.

3) The galaxy is shadowed by the First Order, a new organization rising from the ashes of Palpatine's old Empire. Once again, your planet is immediately reconquered, with their superior forces decisively defeating the local New Republic garrison. Construction swiftly begins on a First Order weapons factory. With no hope of reinforcements, it is up to you and your fellow Resistance mates to destroy it.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys

Cast IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 583 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:592061
  • Souls Baptized:10,981

Black Rook
Theophilos

Indeed I am. Sign me up. I'm a n00b so..

Echo Sqad Master Sergeant
Mentor
Recruiter
Editor

Mentee: evilfix

altoclef

altoclef

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 446 posts
  • Resources:

Black Rook
Theophilos

Indeed I am. Sign me up. I'm a n00b so..

ah I'll make it easy, don't worry. just go vote for the scenario above so i can get started with the mechanics. Black Rook over there's pretty fresh for this sort of thing too.

so then, 3/5. two more

Black Took
Theophilos
Myrrdin Emrys

Posted Image

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Black Rook