Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Falcon Heavy Test Launch: It didn't explode. There's a car in space! 2 out of 3 for booster landing. (link to livestream of car in space)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507
  • Squadron:Alpha

Live stream here:

They've hit the button for the auto Launch auto-sequence. Launch window closes at 4, so hopefully we don't get blue balled. 

ETA: above is no longer live video.

How fucking cool was that. 

Synchronize-booster-landing-879x485.png

Countdown

Side booster cut off and decouple followed by main engine cut off and decouple

The cars in space! 

Booster Reentry burns

Side boosters land. Core doesn't

Space Man live stream.

Edited by Rand0m her0, 07 February 2018 - 01:23 AM.

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976
  • Squadron:Kilo

Thanks for this!

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

odds on # of upright 1st stages! :D

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

odds on # of upright 1st stages! :D

surprised I can't actually find  odds on that.you'd think someone will have published numbers. 

Gonna say all three though. SpaceX has gotten pretty good at it. They even accidentally landed one recently, because apparently that's a thing

For anyone not following: They plan on landing the side boosters at Canaveral and the central booster on the Of Course I Still Love You out in the atlantic. hopefully no unplanned lithobraking maneuvers in the process 

Also looks like they're fueling the second stage atm, so probably not gonna see a scrub. 

Edited by Rand0m her0, 06 February 2018 - 07:54 PM.

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

Live stream is uh...live. just under 20 minutes to go. 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

Welp it didn't blow up, there is a car in space, side boosters are down safely. Still no idea what happened to the core stage  but given the lack of info...

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

Watched it live on TV... it was awesome!

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

joe44

joe44

IRON's High Priest

• BR|Member
  • 2,080 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:568614
  • Souls Baptized:9,297,525
  • Squadron:Foxtrot

I see Captain Crozier driving a car.

A good reason to pull him over.

On duty cop joe issues a ticket:

measured speed: 24,600 mph

speed limit: 65 mph

penalty bill: 24535 x 10 000 $ =245 350 000$.

To pay within 10 days.

Bank account: 

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=568614

Your rights sir:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/police-stops-when-pulled-over-30186.html

Edited by joe44, 07 February 2018 - 01:59 AM.

568614-iron.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Colonel Medved

Colonel Medved

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,595 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:609249
  • Discord ID:TechnicalGamerz#1337

Looks like the core didn't land, it had an issue during re-ignition and hit the water going 300mph and hit 300 meters from the drone ship. Still very cool to watch, and impressive for the test flight :)

Posted Image

Nukes Eaten for IRON: 23

Nukes "donated" in the name of IRON: 5

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

-Plato

The day we beat the Council

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811

Very cool to watch it. History was made yesterday!

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

SeaBeeGipson

SeaBeeGipson

Retired

• Dishonoured - TRAITOR
  • 2,610 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:552359
  • Souls Baptized:Seven

check mate flat earthers, the livestream is round!

Formerly King Hitler of Deutsche.
IRON Diplomacy: Being Nice to Alliances we're about to roll since 2007.
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility and headaches.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Click to Add Me on FaceBook
Message Me to Apply for Diplomat Corps!
Ultimate Guide to CyberNations
Model Nations
Join Discord Here: Click ME!!

Get your Discord Member Mask Here!
Hit me up on RuneScape like it is 2008
Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

check mate flat earthers, the livestream is round!

It's not, it's just that the disc is always facing the camera :P

(Technically, the claim that Earth is "round" isn't correct either. it's more of a "geoid")

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:

Looks like the core didn't land, it had an issue during re-ignition and hit the water going 300mph and hit 300 meters from the drone ship. Still very cool to watch, and impressive for the test flight :)

How strange this may seem, you kinda hope it was a mechanical defect. Cause if it was just them miscalculating the return flight (core traveled further then normally on falcon 9 flights, hence atleast the drone ship needed to be stationed further) it would have made an entire room of engineers look like fools :D

Still, hope they got images/video of the core doing a "pressure test" out in the ocean :D

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Historyh22

Historyh22

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 164 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:606062
  • Souls Baptized:125,177

Watched it live yesterday. Easily one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

How strange this may seem, you kinda hope it was a mechanical defect. Cause if it was just them miscalculating the return flight (core traveled further then normally on falcon 9 flights, hence atleast the drone ship needed to be stationed further) it would have made an entire room of engineers look like fools :D

Still, hope they got images/video of the core doing a "pressure test" out in the ocean :D

Core hit still doing 300mph and apparently managed to land close enough to damage the landing barge.  So either they utterly managed to fuck up the altitude, the booster failed to throttle up or failed while doing so. The later two have happened in the past in various forms, and fucking up the altitude for throttle up that badly would be...spectacularly dumb. 

Mechanical failure of some sort would be my guess 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:

Core hit still doing 300mph and apparently managed to land close enough to damage the landing barge.  So either they utterly managed to fuck up the altitude, the booster failed to throttle up or failed while doing so. The later two have happened in the past in various forms, and fucking up the altitude for throttle up that badly would be...spectacularly dumb. 

Mechanical failure of some sort would be my guess 

I heared talk of both not enough fuel and not all engines igniting to slow down (it uses 1 for trajectory change and landing, 3 to slow down). It being close atleast means the trajectory and all went well.

Musk promised video to be included in the gag-reel, I want it now!

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire
I don't get it... What was the point of throwing a car in space?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

Shits and giggles. Also Tesla advertising.

This is the firstl launch of a new rocket design. No one wants to stick anything important on it in case it explodes, but you still need a payload to test the thing ( you don't just need to see if the rocket can go up, you need it to be able to carry however many tons at the same time). You also can't really launch a bunch of low cost things, since new designs can easily be delayed. Like if tesla had offered to launch a bunch of cube sats for university students at the Falcon heavies original launch date...they'd have all graduated by now. Also if it does blow up, even if the financial cost isn't huge what the hell does anyone who's thesis was dependant on that experiment do now?  You basically can't do anything useful with the first launch. 

So you launch dead weight. Which is why there are a fair few blocks of concrete and tanks of water floating about the solar system. Cheap, heavy, entirely useless. . SpaceX however...they like to launch silly things. The payload for the dragon capsule test was a massive wheel of cheese, because Monty Python joke.

And yea elon musk owns both companies, and Tesla got the world's greatest car advert out of it. 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

This is the firstl launch of a new rocket design. No one wants to stick anything important on it in case it explodes, but you still need a payload to test the thing ( you don't just need to see if the rocket can go up, you need it to be able to carry however many tons at the same time). You also can't really launch a bunch of low cost things, since new designs can easily be delayed. Like if tesla had offered to launch a bunch of cube sats for university students at the Falcon heavies original launch date...they'd have all graduated by now. Also if it does blow up, even if the financial cost isn't huge what the hell does anyone who's thesis was dependant on that experiment do now?  You basically can't do anything useful with the first launch. 

So you launch dead weight. Which is why there are a fair few blocks of concrete and tanks of water floating about the solar system. Cheap, heavy, entirely useless. . SpaceX however...they like to launch silly things. The payload for the dragon capsule test was a massive wheel of cheese, because Monty Python joke.
And yea elon musk owns both companies, and Tesla got the world's greatest car advert out of it. 

Meh. I guess. I'm quite sceptical of Elon. His cars are impressive at face value but even the cheapest ones have ridiculous price tags and are the subject of much criticism. I feel like they are overhyped and by connection, probably Spacex.
But I do like the idea of private space exploration and I hear Spacex is cheap in that market.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595

Meh. I guess. I'm quite sceptical of Elon. His cars are impressive at face value but even the cheapest ones have ridiculous price tags and are the subject of much criticism. I feel like they are overhyped and by connection, probably Spacex.
But I do like the idea of private space exploration and I hear Spacex is cheap in that market.

*Tackle hugs*!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users