Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mafia Best Practices

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

The Warrior

The Warrior

10th President of IRON

• Secretary of State
  • 19,848 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:264357
  • Souls Baptized:4,017,067
  • Squadron:Kilo

In an effort not to hijack the Pokémon Mafia game thread with this discussion, I am deciding to give this topic it's own thread here. I think it might be a good idea for us to come up with a mafia "best practices" list of sorts that we expect all players to abide by in our mafia games.

There is nothing more frustrating to active players or mods than watching players sign up for games only to largely go MIA for the duration of the game.

This point was raised again in the Pokémon game thread and it is one that we have sort of been discussing off and on over the last year:

Just to be clear this isn't targeting anybody in particular or even this game in particular, it's a general statement for playing mafia as a whole. I honestly don't get how lurking, doing absolutely nothing but the bare minimum and baselessly pointing fingers when you actually do post, makes people 'more likely town'. If you refuse to play this game properly and only post minimally with absolute zero effort, then I don't see how you qualify more as town than as scum. I think it was pretty clear why TW in particular made this minimal post rule: so people actually play this game. If you honestly only think to do the bare minimum every single in game day, than why even bother playing at all. It's lazy, it's selfish and it's ultimately detrimental to town more than to scum. I agree with the sentiment that if we don't want this to be the standard every single game, we need to either vote off Rafay every D1 or mods need to stop letting him play in their games. What's stopping all of us just do to the same? Post 3 times with no contribution what so ever, people think you're 'more likely town', mafia probably wins most of the times, but at least you made it to the next day. Repeat and profit, whatever that looks like. 

Sorry for the rant, but this is honestly getting ridiculous 

I concocted the "3-Post Active Participation Rule" several games ago as a way to hopefully combat this issue and it has helped but only marginally. The minimum post requirement of 3 posts was my way of attempting to force participants to actually participate (a crazy idea I know) while simultaneously not burdening them too much with a large daily post requirement. Perhaps the 3 post minimum was set too low though. One would think that if someone signs up to play a mafia game that they would actually play the mafia game. This is not to discount the validity of anyone's individual playstyle per se as each player clearly has their own style. But the question is begged -- why sign up to play if you aren't going to actually play the game? How are you possibly having fun playing that way? It's not really fair to everyone who is actively playing the game that they get lynched/killed for actively contributing when there are players who are intentionally left alive or forgotten just because they post once every 6-7 days. It is also unfair to the game mods who spend a lot of time setting up and running a game that they think people will enjoy only to watch several players barely contribute to the end product. 

Imagine how great these games would be if 15 people signed up for a game and all 15 people actively participated. There would never be any more mafia team discussions of "let's kill this one person because they are clearly active and leading the town" or any town discussions of "let's lynch this person because he is a lurker and even if he's a townie he isn't helpful and won't help when needed".

How do we as a mafia community want to handle this moving forward? Should there be stricter post requirements? Should we do something else? Any suggestions?

Nuked 131 times in the name of IRON. Delivered 193 nukes on those stupid enough to oppose IRON.

<&Bay102174>The Warrior has been baptized in fire and blood and emerged as IRON.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

brewersalliance

brewersalliance

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,811 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:602775
  • Souls Baptized:1539600
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat
  • Discord ID:brewersalliance

even if there is a stricter post count, it doesn't mean they are gonna be helpful and wont just lurk.  one could still just lurk, not contribute anything, and just throw around meaningless votes or posts.  the only way to solve the issue is to restrict players who dont actually play from playing.  I think it would be on the mods.  Maybe either at the mods discretion to not allow them to play, or perhaps have the mod replace them if they continue to play like that.  its not fair to people who actually make an effort in the games 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Brewersalliance: Lover of the Pack and Beer. Hater of the Bears and Cheese.

Nukes Delivered for IRON-31

Nukes Taken for IRON-44

You are bresky, Brewsky, Brewers, stud-muffin, Mr. Sexypants, and that cute guy over in IA.

TO: Brewersalliance | FROM: SeaBeeGipson
TYPE: Nuclear Missile Strike | DATE: 8/18/2017 9:07:26 AM
Your nation has been attacked with nuclear weapons in a standard nuclear attack by SeaBeeGipson. You lost 488 soldiers, 0 defending tanks, 0 cruise missiles, 1.602 miles of land, 0.000 technology, 103.283 infrastructure, 75% of your aircraft, and 25% of your nuclear vulnerable navy force. In addition to these losses your nation will experience many days of economic devastation.Your clones are dead

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

KevinH

KevinH

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 6,978 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:101765
  • Souls Baptized:9,094,132

In a certain sense, there is little difference between the inactive vs the fluffer vs the spammer vs the jellyfish.
So minimum post counts aren't the answer although they do provide an expectation of what the absolute minimum could be.

I'd like to keep the mafia community open and invite anyone to try it out.  If we twist everyone's arm to join in a game, it would be tough to get two dozen players so I don't want to discourage players from starting.  Real life time availability fluctuates and I'm OK with participation levels fluctuating even within a game.  I'm personally currently at one of those periods where work is interfering with my game-playing.   :(

But here are some ideas:

• Create a series of "newbie" games that players must complete before they can join the bigger themed games.  I think mafiascum.net has this sort of system.
  • Tell the scum they can only night-kill from the bottom half of players sorted by participation for the first few game days.
  • Set up a rating system where players can rate each other after each game and have certain games require a minimum rating.
  • Systematize the "lynch the inactives" style of play.  Self-policing within the games sort of works.  I generally play this way it and makes the end-game better when the inactives have been eliminated.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

The Warrior

The Warrior

10th President of IRON

• Secretary of State
  • 19,848 posts
  • Resources:

Fluctuating activity levels are fine. Of course things can come up at any time for any person and hinder their ability to participate here. It's not those things that anyone takes issue with. It's the people who make it their M.O. to only play this way that are the issue. I'm certainly not advocating to keep anyone from playing. I want everyone to play but if you sign up to play the game you need to actually play the game. If your activity level fluctuates that drastically in the middle of a game you need to ask for a replacement. Don't hurt the rest of the game because you can no longer dedicate the time necessary to play.

I like the idea of the player rating system. That would give everyone the opportunity to peer review the other players and decide whether or not they think they should be able to participate in the games.

Nuked 131 times in the name of IRON. Delivered 193 nukes on those stupid enough to oppose IRON.

<&Bay102174>The Warrior has been baptized in fire and blood and emerged as IRON.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

brewersalliance

brewersalliance

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,811 posts
  • Resources:

Set up a rating system where players can rate each other after each game and have certain games require a minimum rating.

i think this is a great idea 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nukes Taken for IRON-44

You are bresky, Brewsky, Brewers, stud-muffin, Mr. Sexypants, and that cute guy over in IA.

Your nation has been attacked with nuclear weapons in a standard nuclear attack by SeaBeeGipson. You lost 488 soldiers, 0 defending tanks, 0 cruise missiles, 1.602 miles of land, 0.000 technology, 103.283 infrastructure, 75% of your aircraft, and 25% of your nuclear vulnerable navy force. In addition to these losses your nation will experience many days of economic devastation.Your clones are dead

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

SeaBeeGipson

SeaBeeGipson

Retired

• Dishonoured - TRAITOR
  • 2,610 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:552359
  • Souls Baptized:Seven

Set up a rating system where players can rate each other after each game and have certain games require a minimum rating.

My favorite suggestion, I really liked this one

Formerly King Hitler of Deutsche.
IRON Diplomacy: Being Nice to Alliances we're about to roll since 2007.
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility and headaches.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Click to Add Me on FaceBook
Message Me to Apply for Diplomat Corps!
Ultimate Guide to CyberNations
Model Nations
Join Discord Here: Click ME!!

Get your Discord Member Mask Here!
Hit me up on RuneScape like it is 2008
Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lachiton

Lachiton

Tempered IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,306 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:604839
  • Souls Baptized:224,049
  • Squadron:Alpha
  • Discord ID:Lachiton
Yeah rating system is a good way to force players to play a more proactive part. I just want to know on what basis town will rate scum?

Posted Image

Nukes Eaten : 47

Nukes Thwarted : 35

Nukes Delivered : 27

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight

The IRON Maiden

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,988 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:592482
  • Souls Baptized:Plenty
  • Squadron:Delta
What criteria would be used for rating others? Skillful playing? Willlingness to participate? A not being an annoying jerk?

Will limiting participation based on ratings discourage newbies from playing?

What are the risks of it becoming a popularity contest?

I’m not saying rating is a bad idea, just raising questions.

Posted Image

( @ )( @ ) The official salute from women in the great, nudist nation of Secor. I'm naked and very excited to be here.

Posted Image
The Supercalifragalisticexpealadocious Award

"This award was custom made for a special person. Its gleam reflects the endearment of the people that she leads. Awarded to the IRON Maiden, Sister Midnight."

[center]~~A partner in Blade's crimes~~[center]Nukes taken for IRON since restarting on 6/10/2016: I stopped counting after 69.

Sister Midnight has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

The people of Antropomorphica join their leaders in welcoming the discovery of this previously unknown colony of Secor in the wilds of South America. They organised an airdrop of money and soldiers to protect this fledgling state as it undergoes construction (I mean... 1k infra at day 1 guys... come on!).

(@)#(@)
_ # _
_ # _
_ # _
8========D ~~

from our leaders to yours.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

brewersalliance

brewersalliance

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,811 posts
  • Resources:

What criteria would be used for rating others? Skillful playing? Willlingness to participate? A not being an annoying jerk?

Will limiting participation based on ratings discourage newbies from playing?

What are the risks of it becoming a popularity contest?

I’m not saying rating is a bad idea, just raising questions.

agreed 100%.  lachiton mentioned those points in the thread kevinH made for a sample rating system

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nukes Taken for IRON-44

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Ali bin Turban

Ali bin Turban

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,647 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:346180

Imagine how great these games would be if 15 people signed up for a game and all 15 people actively participated. There would never be any more mafia team discussions of "let's kill this one person because they are clearly active and leading the town" or any town discussions of "let's lynch this person because he is a lurker and even if he's a townie he isn't helpful and won't help when needed". How do we as a mafia community want to handle this moving forward? Should there be stricter post requirements? Should we do something else? Any suggestions?

That would be so glorious. I think you've made a step into right direction with your last game (even though it's still to easy to avoid) and we can build upon it.

We'd need a rating you mention in other topic (like post numbers, overall activity, contribution to discussions, etc.), however not as a general rating but a mod's checklist for the game. This would be rules every game participant needs to obey. If he does not, he gets a warning from the mod. After let's say third warning he's removed from the game.

By removing I mean either:

- Replacing the player if there's anyone waiting

- Seeing if a quick rebalancing cane be made (for example adding randomly 1-shot bulletproof mod to some town for removing a vanilla townie). I don't know how much work it would need from mod, but I guess it would be very effective tool and people would start do play by the rules as soon as first guy gets kicked. There are probably some easy modifiers that can be applied to rebalance things. For example a standard townie could be exchanged for mentioned 1-shot bulletproof (or something like that, I'm sure KevinH will know better). On top of that if player that's being removed is for example a Doc some other vanilla townie can be promoted to a nurse just a moment before Doc is being removed from the game.

In a certain sense, there is little difference between the inactive vs the fluffer vs the spammer vs the jellyfish

What's jellyfish?

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

KevinH

KevinH

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 6,978 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:101765
  • Souls Baptized:9,094,132

What's jellyfish?

Someone who floats along with minimal effort. Not necessarily inactive, but not contributing significantly.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lord MK

Lord MK

Steadfast

• NM|Validating
  • 4,567 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:577566
  • Souls Baptized:1,019,503
  • Discord ID:MK#3275
AbT, your idea of removing players is good. But it runs aground when the concerned player is mafia.
We can't solve that by giving a power role to another mafia as for mafia, they need numbers to survive.
"Every morsel of your entire being alive to the infinite mystery of it all" - Captain Jack Sparrow

"%20alt=

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Mandarijn

Mandarijn

The Orange One

• Vault: Leadership
  • 20,057 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:268021
  • Souls Baptized:2,124,729

AbT, your idea of removing players is good. But it runs aground when the concerned player is mafia.
We can't solve that by giving a power role to another mafia as for mafia, they need numbers to survive.

I don’t see a problem with this, the other way around (making a mafia town) is a problem.
You just need to change some things if the townie has already been investigated or something I suppose.

ew

mandarijn juice

Posted Image
Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Ali bin Turban

Ali bin Turban

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,647 posts
  • Resources:

Mafia is totally different thing. Inactives were never a problem for them. They were always a problem for the town. Being a town you never know if that's a scum lurking or inactive/not caring townie. And you'll never know because he wont respond to your questions/accusations. So anytime you want to do something about that (that means lynch the inactive) it's a lottery - you either hit mafia or town.

On the other hand mafia has all the knowledge needed and the more inactive town the better for them. So if I were a mod I wouldn't even monitor them - if they start lurking (And that's a valid strategy for them) they risk getting exposed and killed by the town.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

The Warrior

The Warrior

10th President of IRON

• Secretary of State
  • 19,848 posts
  • Resources:

I will just note that it is not always very easy to rebalance a game once it has begun. There is a certain amount of rebalancing that can be done but re-assigning roles is a messy proposition.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Ali bin Turban

Ali bin Turban

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,647 posts
  • Resources:

Yeah, I suppose it might be difficult. First step should be to replace such person (with a guy that was waiting or a killed player that gained no knowledge - that worked pretty well in the last KevinH's game).

If replacement is not available mod could try altering the game if possible.

If that's not an option player should be killed.

I think such approach would work since it would keep players behavior in check during the game. There would be no system abuse (like posting 3 times at the end of the day). Players would get private warnings from the Mod and they would know they'll be removed should they keep braking "activity rules".

Also it's better than ratings because it allows for immediate Mod reaction (there's no need to wait for 3 games to see that someone is breaking the rules) and secondly Mod's judgment cannot be abused by players (at least not as easily as some rules created for rating purposes).

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

SeaBeeGipson

SeaBeeGipson

Retired

• Dishonoured - TRAITOR
  • 2,610 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:552359
  • Souls Baptized:Seven

In an effort not to hijack the Pokémon Mafia game thread with this discussion,

Can we address whatever is going on with the Pokemon Mafia here? Like, can someone please explain to me the logic of having a town role and creating an entire backstory that doesn't exist? NOT ONCE BUT TWICE in this game? Did I miss a memo to just mass throw this game? In what idea is this "fun"?

1) If scum wins, what type of win is that? They win because town basically Kurt Cobain'ed itself twice.
2) If town wins, it would be no thanks to those involved with whatever the hell was going on.

Like, what am I missing? 

Formerly King Hitler of Deutsche.
IRON Diplomacy: Being Nice to Alliances we're about to roll since 2007.
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility and headaches.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Click to Add Me on FaceBook
Message Me to Apply for Diplomat Corps!
Ultimate Guide to CyberNations
Model Nations
Join Discord Here: Click ME!!

Get your Discord Member Mask Here!
Hit me up on RuneScape like it is 2008
Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lachiton

Lachiton

Tempered IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,306 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:604839
  • Souls Baptized:224,049
  • Squadron:Alpha
  • Discord ID:Lachiton

Can we address whatever is going on with the Pokemon Mafia here? Like, can someone please explain to me the logic of having a town role and creating an entire backstory that doesn't exist? NOT ONCE BUT TWICE in this game? Did I miss a memo to just mass throw this game? In what idea is this "fun"?

1) If scum wins, what type of win is that? They win because town basically Kurt Cobain'ed itself twice.
2) If town wins, it would be no thanks to those involved with whatever the hell was going on.

Like, what am I missing? 

This. How is this "fun" for anyone involved, town or scum alike? How is this fair to anyone else who want to enjoy a good mafia game? I am at complete loss of words with what went down two days in a row.

Posted Image

Nukes Eaten : 47

Nukes Thwarted : 35

Nukes Delivered : 27

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

brewersalliance

brewersalliance

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,811 posts
  • Resources:

=

Like, what am I missing? 

This. How is this "fun" for anyone involved, town or scum alike? How is this fair to anyone else who want to enjoy a good mafia game? I am at complete loss of words with what went down two days in a row.

we have tons of people who are actually taking a lot of time to read peoples posts and formulate ideas and whatnot.  It doesnt matter if you are town or scum.  What is going on is totally disrespectful to every single person who is actually making an effort in the game.  Sure its a game, but when you intentionally throw a game for whatever reason, all you are doing is spitting in the faces of everyone who makes an effort.  It is disgusting.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nukes Taken for IRON-44

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Mandarijn

Mandarijn

The Orange One

• Vault: Leadership
  • 20,057 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:268021
  • Souls Baptized:2,124,729

Exactly. I just can't understand why you would lie like that as a townie...

ew

mandarijn juice

Posted Image
Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BR Converter