Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PC Culture and the Hidden Tribes of America

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976
  • Squadron:Kilo
So, I came across an article by a Harvard professor, with some interesting analysis. It seems support for PC culture is actually much lower than online interactions and social media would lead you to believe:
https://www.citylab.com/perspective/2018/10/americans-strongly-dislike-pc-culture/572641/

The piece is based on a very fresh 2018 study, that is frankly worth reading on its own. Very long, but has some easily digestible graphs:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a70a7c3010027736a22740f/t/5bbcea6b7817f7bf7342b718/1539107467397/hidden_tribes_report-2.pdf

Highly recommended if you have the time, bit of a long read.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

The "PC Culture" is a Progressive created mob of relentless zealots determined to control speech and emotion. They have this problem with their own agenda, because it's hard to sell a platform that's full of oppression, regulation, and redistribution. So they have created this ever growing list of words, established law with no legislation, and declared that no one can ever say anything that offends them. It's intended to blunt the power of words directed at them, and they call out the mob to supress this in any way possible. Through pure pressure, they destroy lives. It's totally un-American, and it cannot be crushed fast enough. It's time we create our own mob that protects the Constitution.

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:

The "PC Culture" is a Progressive created mob of relentless zealots determined to control speech and emotion. They have this problem with their own agenda, because it's hard to sell a platform that's full of oppression, regulation, and redistribution. So they have created this ever growing list of words, established law with no legislation, and declared that no one can ever say anything that offends them. It's intended to blunt the power of words directed at them, and they call out the mob to supress this in any way possible. Through pure pressure, they destroy lives. It's totally un-American, and it cannot be crushed fast enough. It's time we create our own mob that protects the Constitution.

It's one of those rare moments when I agree with everything you said there...except for the last sentence. Mob politics should NEVER be the answer, nothing good can come of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rafay

Rafay

Tempered IRON

• BR|Member
  • 4,450 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:607118

I will never understand why people wanna say bad words/things that offend others.

Don't call me something I don't want to be called. Respect my feelings and I will respect yours. Nothing to do w/ free speech here just caring for one another that's all.

rafaysig2.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
PC is not just about name calling, the problem isn't with that. It's discussing issues openly and honestly without the discussion being shut down by the screaming mob. For example one should be able to say affirmative action as a policy is discriminative and counterproductive without being called a racist.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

I will never understand why people wanna say bad words/things that offend others.

Don't call me something I don't want to be called. Respect my feelings and I will respect yours. Nothing to do w/ free speech here just caring for one another that's all.

The biggest gripe for me is just that, basic courtesy, empathy and decency have somehow been shipped into this "PC culture" tag were it doesn't belong. For some reason people get shouted down because they express the opinion that the shouters have crossed an accepted social line in terms of interactions between people (aka, decency usually). The hypocrisy of shouting down people who the shouters think are shouting down them is both hilarious and utterly dangerous.

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rafay

Rafay

Tempered IRON

• BR|Member
  • 4,450 posts
  • Resources:

should be able to say affirmative action as a policy is discriminative and counterproductive without being called a racist.

I agree. Unless you're talking negatively about a race then you should be frowned upon but nothing wrong with discussing policy. 

rafaysig2.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
I will never understand why people wanna say bad words/things that offend others. Don't call me something I don't want to be called. Respect my feelings and I will respect yours. Nothing to do w/ free speech here just caring for one another that's all.

It's called "manners", and is normally taught at a young age from caring parents. Those that do not practice good manners have normally paid for it through the normal course of life. Most correct themselves before losing too much, or they are stuck with like minded individuals that no one likes, for the rest of their life. I have lived by the very first advice my mother gave me as a child... "Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me".

The PC Culture took things way off the rails. It granted unlimited power to a mob of unhinged fanatics that never earned it... and it's used as a weapon to advance an entirely unconstitutional agenda. That last line you didn't agree with CC, was veiled sarcasm... we already have a mob that is supposed to protect the Constitution... it's everyone who takes the oath, and the buck stops at the Supreme Court.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507
  • Squadron:Alpha

PC culture literally doesn't exist. PC culture is a boogeyman invoked by people to dismiss shit that makes them uncomfortable or is inconvenient for them to examine. It's an exonym, people  invoke it without meaning to go "HEY I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE GUYS" 

"The washington redskins mascot is kinda racist as fuck, maybe that should be changed"  ....and then Del Jackson Miller gets on national TV to whine about PC culture

Twitter has a problem with jackasses harassing and stalking women, takes even the slightly step to address it.... and Andrew Sullivan  flips his shit about PC culture causing mass censorship. 

Tim Allen can't be bothered to update his material for the last 20 years, goes full principal skinner  and spends the last 5 years never shutting up about political correctness instead of not being a hack. 

John Schnatter  gets called to task by shareholders for his company underperforming...and bitches about PC culture. investors decide that 4 months of him whining about NFL players kneeling not only isn't fixing the sales slump but making it worse...and he stuffs his foot further in his mouth while whining about "political correctness" . They sit him down with a marketing company to extract said foot, and he proceeds to ram his head up his arse while complain about political correctness. The marketing company quits because they can't fix stupid, and from somewhere in Schnatter's lower intestine we hear muffled whinging about how unfair this "political correctness" thing is. 

it literally does not exist. It never existed. 

For example one should be able to say affirmative action as a policy is discriminative and counterproductive without being called a racist.

Have a case in point since you've provided CC. People crying "political correctness"  have their thoughts on the matter go no further than that. Or they spit out some bullshit that demonstrates they have no knowledge of the topic...and then cry political correctness. Or they spout off something that might as well be a quote from someone arguing in favor of segregation in the 60s and cry political correctness when that gets pointed out. 

Affirmative action in the US aint new. It's a de segregation "policy" (using that term very loosely), and we've had 60 years of pro segregation motherfuckers and similar throwing bullcrap around about it.  If you can't add anything to the discussion in more detail than "affirmative action as a policy is discriminative and counterproductive" then intentionally or not all you've done is blow real hard into a dog whistle and you're probably gonna get called on that.  Cause if someone spouts off with shite that's indistinguishable from 60 years of pro segregationist assholes and similar, what they're saying will be received like they're one of those pro segregationist assholes.

So if you're getting  called on that on any regular basis, consider that the folks doing it aren't endless waves of  idealogues and that maybe it's time to buy a saddle. 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rafay

Rafay

Tempered IRON

• BR|Member
  • 4,450 posts
  • Resources:

It's called "manners", and is normally taught at a young age from caring parents. Those that do not practice good manners have normally paid for it through the normal course of life. Most correct themselves before losing too much, or they are stuck with like minded individuals that no one likes, for the rest of their life. I have lived by the very first advice my mother gave me as a child... "Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me".

Agreed. But you need to understand that words do hurt. Take it from someone who's been an intern in a Psychiatry Ward. 

rafaysig2.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:

PC culture literally doesn't exist. PC culture is a boogeyman invoked by people to dismiss shit that makes them uncomfortable or is inconvenient for them to examine. It's an exonym, people  invoke it without meaning to go "HEY I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE GUYS" 

"The washington redskins mascot is kinda racist as fuck, maybe that should be changed" ....and then Del Jackson Miller gets on national TV to whine about PC culture

Twitter has a problem with jackasses harassing and stalking women, takes even the slightly step to address it.... and Andrew Sullivan flips his shit about PC culture causing mass censorship.

Tim Allen can't be bothered to update his material for the last 20 years, goes full principal skinner and spends the last 5 years never shutting up about political correctness instead of not being a hack.

John Schnatter gets called to task by shareholders for his company underperforming...and bitches about PC culture. investors decide that 4 months of him whining about NFL players kneeling not only isn't fixing the sales slump but making it worse...and he stuffs his foot further in his mouth while whining about "political correctness" . They sit him down with a marketing company to extract said foot, and he proceeds to ram his head up his arse while complain about political correctness. The marketing company quits because they can't fix stupid, and from somewhere in Schnatter's lower intestine we hear muffled whinging about how unfair this "political correctness" thing is.

it literally does not exist. It never existed.

Well done for sidestepping the entire point of the thread to make a ridiculous denial akin to "the sky it not blue". No one's buying it. Just because you're bringing up 3 idiots who blamed their screwups on "PC Culture" doesn't mean the phenomenon that is at the fucking core of contemporary political discussion, doesn't exist. But you know what cracked me up literally? That you are scolding these people for INVOKING a concept for having to avoid dealing with shit that is uncomfortable for them. Yeah, they should instead DENY the obvious existence of something, you seem to have no problem with that.

Have a case in point since you've provided CC. People crying "political correctness"  have their thoughts on the matter go no further than that. Or they spit out some bullshit that demonstrates they have no knowledge of the topic...and then cry political correctness. Or they spout off something that might as well be a quote from someone arguing in favor of segregation in the 60s and cry political correctness when that gets pointed out. 

Affirmative action in the US aint new. It's a de segregation "policy" (using that term very loosely), and we've had 60 years of pro segregation motherfuckers and similar throwing bullcrap around about it.  If you can't add anything to the discussion in more detail than "affirmative action as a policy is discriminative and counterproductive" then intentionally or not all you've done is blow real hard into a dog whistle and you're probably gonna get called on that.  Cause if someone spouts off with shite that's indistinguishable from 60 years of pro segregationist assholes and similar, what they're saying will be received like they're one of those pro segregationist assholes.

Oh wait, did you just allude here to me being a racist? It does somewhat seem like that, and if so, thank you very much. You really are saving me a lot of time for confirming the accusations I have made against progressives in this very thread.

I guess in your crusade for social justice, it never occured to you that the fundamental problem with affirmative action is that in your great effort to de-segregate YOU ARE STILL PLAYING THE SAME GAME as the pro-segregationists of yore, since you are still using RACE as a yardstick. That is BY DEFINITION RACIST. And it's not a very good yardstick at that, since you are failing to provide an objective metric by which it can be decided whether someone qualifies or not. That leaves you with self-claims and face control. Are you advocating for face control RH? If not, you should provide something more specific, like certain genotypes or a range of hexacodes for supported skin colors. ALTERNATIVELY, we could just scratch the whole toxic thing and go with more sane and reliable metrics like economic background, that actually make sense. But this thread isn't about why affirmative action is a fundamentally flawed concept, we can save that for another time.

So if you're getting  called on that on any regular basis, consider that the folks doing it aren't endless waves of  idealogues and that maybe it's time to buy a saddle.

I never had the illusion that I'm being faced with endless waves of ideologues, I always thought that progressives are an obnoxious and loud minority that frustratingly manage to take up way too much of the public attention's bandwidth. This study confirms that. What's hilarious to me is that while you obviously think yourself to be miles above him, you and Lys are playing the exact same game with opposite signals. You are dogmatic, indoctrinated, all too willing to disregard obvious facts when they are inconvenient to you, and just as eager to belittle differing opinions without actually addressing them. So maybe it's time to get off your high horse? Literally.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:

OH MY GOD. The fucking quote tags in this forum will kill me one day. Faster than PC Culture for sure! :mad:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507
  • Squadron:Alpha

Oh just don't.

I said that if you're  finding the people are regularly calling you a racist for your approach to discussing affirmative action, you are probably copying the rhetoric of racist asshats. And if it's something that's happened all of once in your life or even just a thing you've heard happened to other people, then why even bring it up like it's relevant or affects you in anyway.  Either it happens all the time and you need to buy a saddle, or it doesn't happen and is in no way relevant. Pick one. 

Also you notice that literally nothing in this entire study even defines what political correctness is. Seriously, try to find a single consistent definition anywhere of what political correctness is. You can find studies of people trying to define "political correctness"  if you look...and they can't. Turns out If you ask 10 people to define it you'll get 12 answers. And then if you take those 12 definitions, strip the word "political correctness" from them and ask the exact same people to rate how much they agree with the sentiment of each of those definitions, the answers you get back are entirely inconsistent with the first study.  Americans agree that "political correctness is a problem"  but they sure as hell don't agree on what political correctness is in the first place. 

That's because political correctness doesn't exist. It's a boogeyman. All the kids at preschool insist it's under the bed and just waiting to get ya,  and there's this one kid who inists that their freidns brother totally had their toes eaten by it, but no one who's looked has ever seen it. 

Working off this study and taking it's stats entirely at face value....the "pc culture" you envision is as relevant to your existence as flat earthers. Less actually since a full 15% of americans aren't entirely sure that the world is a freaking sphere. It's less relevant than people who think that TVs broadcast mind control waves (14% of americans aren't  entirely sure they don't). 13% of americans aren't entirely sure that obama isn't literally the antichrist.  It's about as relevant as the percentage of americans that think lizard people control the world (4% of americans).

Complaining about the PC culture you envision existing is like complaining that there's this huge problem in american with people screaming at you for not admitting that the lizard are trying to control your brain.  Could you imagine a world where endless op ends go on about the excesses of "Lizard Correct Culture" and politician get up on stage and go "I don't believe lizard correctness". Because it's exactly as real and would be as relevant to the average americans life as "PC culture" is. 

Seriously, what kind of logic is this, better than 9 in 10 americans don't  support political correctness but it's also somehow a huge problem? really?

I guess in your great crusade for social justice, it never occured to you that the fundamental problem with affirmative action is that in your great effort to de-segregate YOU ARE STILL PLAYING THE SAME GAME as the pro-segregationists of yore, since you are still using RACE as a yardstick. That is BY DEFINITION RACIST

See what you're doing there is saying nothing. Affirmative action can refer to any of a dozen different models. A company scrubbing any personal indicators from resumes is affirmative action. The harvard map, which prioritize diversity of candidates and is just as likely to give extra consideration to a poor white farm boy from alabama as it in some inner city black kid from new york is affirmative action. If a company looks at it's internal demographics and goes "You know, women make up 20% of the workers in this industry, but only 12% of our employees, that's unlikely to be a statistical anomaly" and then sits down to examine it's hiring and retention to find out why, that's affirmative action. If Microsoft goes "there are half as many black americans in the tech sector as there are in the rest of the private sector" and decide to run an outreach campaign...that's affirmative action. 

What you're referring to is a one model of affirmative action that was a thing of the 70s, is explicitly illegal to use in many of the states, and has pretty much been gutted by the supreme court where it isn't outright forbidden. It hasn't been relevant in decades and dates to a period in time in which littrealty enforcing quotas was the only way to desegregate shit. Not to debate the merits, but given that this was an time where some cities closed every school rather than allow in black kids, buildings removed water fountains and the military was littrealy called in on several occasions, I'd contend that the unambiguous and explicit  requirements were appropriate for the era. 

You won't find many people who think that it would be appropriate now. It's not a controversial option; if you sit down and go through just about any map of HR policy developed in the last 20 years, it'll be held up as an example as what *not* to do, for exactly the reasons you state. Which means criticizing it is in no way relevant to any modern discussion on the topic. There's no reason to bring it up except as a red herring.

"Modern" affirmative action has two common models, one is focused on removing sources of bias and the other encourages diversity with the "action" as a side effect. 

Removing sources of bias can mean things like scrubbing names from resumes, and making sure that no one person is always running candidate selection. Or it can mean dealing with systemic issues. Women are less likely to get involved in STEM fields, and it's not because a second X chromosome makes them genetically incapable of doing math but because there are social factors  that encourage women to look elsewhere. 

The other can be something like Frances model for universities where the top 10% of students from any given school are given priority provided they otherwise meet admission requirements. It gives no priority based on class or race, and instead simply allows the law of averages to do it's thing.  More commonly there's the harvard map which boils down to "given two good candidates, pick the person with life and professional experiences your team lacks", which more companies are implementing not because of PC culture, but because it literally makes them more money (turns out if you hire lots of people from the same background, they tend to share biases and hello groupthink.)

So you know if a discussion starts up and you start all caps screaming that "you are still using RACE as a yardstick. That is BY DEFINITION RACIST."....yea your going to get called on that. That aint PC culture, that's you wading into a discussion with an understanding of the topic that dates to 20-30 years ago and proceeding to stuff your foot in your mouth. 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
Agreed. But you need to understand that words do hurt. Take it from someone who's been an intern in a Psychiatry Ward.

Agreed. That's why we have asylums to store the little snowflakes away so they can be understood and coddled by people like you.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rafay

Rafay

Tempered IRON

• BR|Member
  • 4,450 posts
  • Resources:

Agreed. That's why we have asylums to store the little snowflakes away so they can be understood and coddled by people like you.

Mental illness is real. Psychiatry is neural based not mind based as previously thought.

rafaysig2.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:

Mental illness is real. Psychiatry is neural based not mind based as previously thought.

Why do I get that strange feeling I'm gonna get accused of being a "mental illness denier"?

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rafay

Rafay

Tempered IRON

• BR|Member
  • 4,450 posts
  • Resources:

Why do I get that strange feeling I'm gonna get accused of being a "mental illness denier"?

No I'm not gonna accuse you of anything. Its a simple misconception you have that is very common throughout the world. People still cosider psychiatric illnesses taboo and relate them to the Spiritual realm. Even I had my doubts but my rotation completely changed my mind. 

rafaysig2.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:

No I'm not gonna accuse you of anything. Its a simple misconception you have that is very common throughout the world. People still cosider psychiatric illnesses taboo and relate them to the Spiritual realm. Even I had my doubts but my rotation completely changed my mind.

I have no misconceptions, nor do I relate them to the spiritual realm. Mental illness is everywhere. The problem is, because of the relentless desire to normalize mental illness as something to be accepted or managed, too many seriously damaged people are walking around among everyone else. It's only a matter of time before something really bad happens, and it's happening more frequently.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

RH, I know you got a medical interest but your notion to stick various appendages into every orifice comes over a tad creepy :D

Can we also "store" these people who keep shouting the same X words over and over? I got an answering machine that has a bigger repertoire :D

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:

Can we also "store" these people who keep shouting the same X words over and over? I got an answering machine that has a bigger repertoire

I don't really understand what you are saying here... but as far as speech goes, it's hands off. If the speech crosses a line and treads into criminal behavior, such as threats, intimidation, and inciting violence... then it's not a speech issue any longer. This is the whole reason for this thread about PC Culture. PC Culture... which does exist... seeks to criminalize chosen speech.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users