Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Political Cartooning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

HackSlash

HackSlash

Baptized

• NM|Former Member
  • 880 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:600902
  • Souls Baptized:1,518,583
  • Squadron:Kilo

I recently read this on the BBC.  Given how charged political debates can become, I thought that some of you might like to have a read:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51387124

I found it interesting based on some of my own experiences.  I am a member of the Conservative Party of Canada, and I have been accused of being homophobic, among other things.

My response to that accusation is "Hi, I'd like you to meet my husband."  Ever see the Loony Toons?  When one of the characters gets hit in the head and their eyes turn into slot machines....yeah...that's what its like.

These people are content to attack me (and other), based on a stereotype that has been reinforced by social media.

At one point the author talks about how politicians play to the stereotypes.  That sort of hit home.

Earlier this week, I was gaming my Edge of Empire Star Wars RP group.

I play a Mando Outlaw Tech.

F**k Off!

Yes I'm a nerd.

Yes, I'm not ashamed of it!

LOL

I digress.  Two of them are life long NPD (https://www.ndp.ca/), our far left party, supporters.  One is a Youth Worker, the other is a Police Officer.  They couldn't vote for them in the last election.  

The cop said, "I'm not a fiscal conservative, I believe in social spending, but money doesn't grow on trees."

The Youth Worker couldn't bring herself to vote for the NPD, which she has done in every single election, because they were unrealistic.

I feel betrayed by the Conservatives.  They've gone from standing for the working person, stewardship, encouraging business, liberty, and responsible spending.  To a party that is willing to shoot themselves in the foot, and damn the economic consequences, to cater to social conservatives.

What are your thoughts?

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

John Mathews

John Mathews

Minister of the Vault (P&W)

• FA|Director of Diplomacy
  • 927 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:621241
  • Souls Baptized:21,550
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:John Mathews
I am a member of NZ First so i get made out as a racist or supporter of a neo-trump (new flash our leader has been at it way longer then trump) i wont get to much into it you dont have to 100% agree with the party to support it and being a member of the party can help change it's views. The stereotype for my party is everyone is grey power racists but it is really the youth wing that is driving the change (hell we were able to reverse party policy on drug testing at festivals (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2019/10/new-zealand-first-to-reconsider-its-policy-against-drug-testing-pills-at-festivals.amp.html). The one thing you have to find is a party that sticks to its guns. People say we betrayed them at last election but we went in with the we are going to change the status quo and unfortunately as the junior partner in the collation there were compromises that had to be made. So the main thing i can say if you feel strongly about a party or one that is close enough with your views the best way is to get involved and hold them accountable. Also if we are going on partys willing to shoot themselves in the foot that's about half of new Zealand's political parties in a nut shell

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

Stereotyping is a basic human sociology instinct, coming from our group mentality functioning heredity.

And while we as a society, or even mankind, grew up from this thinking into a more pan-group/nationality/world society during the last few millenia, the advent of an ever interconnected but also easier to find like-minded individuals enviroment courtesy of the internet, has left us even more hunkered in our little boxes from which we feel the most secure against the wide open world.

Basically, we are moving to be so open, we shut ourselfes down to the basic instincts to weather the influx of information.

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:040973
  • Souls Baptized:7,122,755
  • Discord ID:Blade

Politics is very toxic in the UK atm. 

40973-detailed.png

Blade 619 you have been baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

I will remember this, Blade, and I will be forever grateful... oh hell words fail me!  ( @ )( @ )

Revenge is best served cold, tasting of vanilla yoghurt with vanilla and chocolate balls.

Leave it to Blade to step in and say the most completely true post in this thread. You make my day Sir.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

It's the fucking identity politics that is emerging everywhere like cancer. If you have the time, read Francis Fukuyama's excellent piece about that:

https://www.journalofdemocracy.org/articles/30-years-of-world-politics-what-has-changed/#f1

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users