Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today, I had to perform the ultimate, and final act of love.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

HackSlash

HackSlash

Baptized

• NM|Former Member
  • 880 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:600902
  • Souls Baptized:1,518,583
  • Squadron:Kilo

They say that pets have no concept of death.

And that's truly a blessing.

But that awful certainty lurks, like a dark cloud

In the mind of every true pet lover.

Six hours ago, I had to put my buddy, my best friend, my dog Caesar to forever sleep.

I'm not doing this for attention.  I frankly don't need it.  I have the love and support of my husband, and our family.

I'm doing this because its cathartic.

I've cried, I've raged, and I've screamed to Valhalla.   Just to let them know a true warrior is coming.  He was so brave when he walked into the vet for the final time.

I don't know what happened.  The Doctor told me he had fluid in his lungs, his organs were enlarged and displaced.

He was fine on Friday night.  On Saturday he couldn't walk, he was disoriented, wouldn't eat or drink, and was shaking.  He wouldn't go up or down the stairs unless I was standing next to him, with my hand on his back.

This morning when I got up, he was the same.  I watched as her walked in circles, coughed, and threw up.

I made the decision to bring him the the Emergency Veterinary Hospital.

Hang the damned expense.

He was alert in the car ride.  He loves riding in the car, looking out the window.  Basking in the AC.

The Doctor needed to run a bunch of tests.  I had to go home, and wait.  It was awful.  When they called me three hours later they told me all of the bad news.  I collapsed to the ground and my husband held me.

There were treatment options, but the Doctor said my best course was to let him go.

I vaguely remember saying "Don't you do a damned thing until I get there.  He's not going to die alone in that place."

It took us 15 or twenty minutes to get there.  They led us into a room, and I got to say good bye to my buddy.  They left us alone to say our good byes.  We both cried a lot, and I sat on the floor with him. 

I fed him chicken.  He loved chicken, but his allergies made it impossible for me to give it to him.

Then I pushed the button, and made the call.  The vet came in, and explained what was going to happen.

She gave him a sedative,  and he went to sleep.

Then the final needle.

He was gone in less than 30 seconds.  His little heart stopped.  At least he died in my arms.  Which is how I think he wanted to go.  Surrounded by the people who loved him so much.

I'm glad I had him in my life.  I did my very best to give him the life he deserved.

He was part of my life for 16 years.  He'll always be a part of mine.

I miss him so much.  Its strange no seeing him curled up on his blanket, or hearing him walk behind me.

Goodbye my buddy.  You'll always be a part of me.  I'll always love you.  I'll always be there for you, just like you were there for me.  I'll miss you.  I'll always cherish the times we had.  You are my friend, my best buddy.  I hope you're happy and free of pain.  I did my best, and I hope that was good enough to repay everything you gave me.

Rest easy buddy.

I love you.

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

Damn, I'm so sorry HackSlash, you have my full empathy.

We have an adorable cat, who is getting on in years as well (he's 12) although he's still completely healthy. Still, there are only so many years pets can live, and I dread the day when we have to make the same choice as you did.  :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

HackSlash

HackSlash

Baptized

• NM|Former Member
  • 880 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:600902
  • Souls Baptized:1,518,583

Damn, I'm so sorry HackSlash, you have my full empathy.

We have an adorable cat, who is getting on in years as well (he's 12) although he's still completely healthy. Still, there are only so many years pets can live, and I dread the day when we have to make the same choice as you did.  :(

Thank you ccabal. 

I know what you are going through.  For the last year and a half, I thought or discussed with my husband about what would happen when the time came.  Yes, I dreaded it to.  CCbabal, when the times does come, it will be a very easy decision to make.  That's because, it is the only right one to make.  Most of us will do anything for our pets.  When you see your beloved cat in pain and suffering, and you have it in your power to relieve that suffering, you'll make that choice with out a second thought.  Just like I did.

On that note, Caesar came home on the 26th.  I had him cremated.  He's currently sitting on the mantle. 

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Briano Chiappetta

Briano Chiappetta

Forged

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 50 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:628082
  • Souls Baptized:0
  • Squadron:Alpha

Come down to mio bar! In alpha squadron. It is the one in Italiano

Briano Chiappetta

🇮🇹Italia Italia🇮🇹

:salute3: FERRO CREDIMUS :salute3:

:awesomeiron2a:

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

It's kind of insensitive to spam in this topic, you know.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users