Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

We have it!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976
  • Squadron:Kilo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18702455

Quite a historic milestone. This might just open a new chaper in theoretical physics :awesome:

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Danvey

Danvey

Blade's Biatch.

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 1,484 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:554315
  • Souls Baptized:10,496
  • Squadron:Delta
Hooray Physics! A great discovery - I particularly liked Stephen Hawking talking about his $100 bet :P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

[22:20:55] Deus Tonitrus: i got handcuffed today
[22:21:09] onbekende: wrong fetish room?

The young nations, they are THE future of IRON. And God knows they're very hard ****ing nuts to crack.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shan Revan

Shan Revan

Tempered IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 1,877 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:004657
  • Squadron:Alpha
CMS was such a troll, coming to a total of only 4.9σ after starting out with all those fives. They put on a good presentation though with lots of awesome jokes. Atlas however was making comic sans cool again. Hilariously bad presentation but at least they pulled out the results. Big day for Peter Higgs. In tears recalling how Heisenberg had flat out told him he was wrong.

A lot of disappointed physicists out there today and SUSY people are gonna be pissed but really it seems nothing is gonna kill that thing, it just gets made harder to test.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
Also interesting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18708741

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shan Revan

Shan Revan

Tempered IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 1,877 posts
  • Resources:
You know what's really damn impressive and explains why it was so hard to find?

The Higgs-Boson has a mass of ~125GeV right? That's about equivalent to Caesium. That means the particle is heavier than a little under half of the known atomic elements.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shan Revan

Shan Revan

Tempered IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 1,877 posts
  • Resources:
You know what's really damn impressive and explains why it was so hard to find?

The Higgs-Boson has a mass of ~125GeV right? That's about equivalent to Caesium. That means the particle is heavier than a little under half of the known atomic elements.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
It should account for all the missing mass in the universe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shan Revan

Shan Revan

Tempered IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 1,877 posts
  • Resources:

It should account for all the missing mass in the universe.

Perhaps but I don't think so. Especially considering that the Higgs mechanism only imparts a small amount of the mass of matter (fermions specifically). Whereas I understand gluon self-interactions make up the majority of mass so that even if the fundamental particles were mass-less (somehow having disabled the interactions with the Higgs field) you would still have significant mass in matter from the gluons doing their thing.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rafay

Rafay

Tempered IRON

• BR|Member
  • 4,450 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:607118
Oooh Physics geniuses.

I also wanted to be a Nuclear Physicist.

Anyway I heard it traveled faster than light, this boson. Not Neutrino, I know there was a glitch in the equipment in that.

But think of the possibilities that this discovery has opened for us. Are we getting closer to space travel guys?

Also I heard that the universe has dark matter, what's up with that? Is it dark or anti-matter?

Please impart your knowledge to a wannabe Physicist.

rafaysig2.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Dark Specter

Dark Specter

Wrought IRON

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 212 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:540018
  • Souls Baptized:15040
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

Oooh Physics geniuses.

Anyway I heard it traveled faster than light, this boson. Not Neutrino, I know there was a glitch in the equipment in that.

But think of the possibilities that this discovery has opened for us. Are we getting closer to space travel guys?

Also I heard that the universe has dark matter, what's up with that? Is it dark or anti-matter?

this could get us closer to space travel depending on what they do with it.

And i believe that dark matter is anti-matter
Victory or Death

IRON the home of the brave, the proud and the willing to protect peace.

Posted Image

^ made by Lorikz

Posted Image

Alliances fought

LSF, Sparta

Number of Nations put into Anarchy: 7

(To Ichigo) "Ichigo, what's the difference between a king and his horse? I don't mean kiddy shit like "One's a person and one's an animal" or "One has two legs and one has four." If their form, ability and power were exactly the same, why is it that one becomes the king and controls the battle, while the other becomes the horse and carries the king?! There's only one answer. Instinct! In order for identical beings to get stronger and gain the power they need to become king, they must search for more battles and power! They thirst for battle, and live to mercilessly, crush, shred, and slice their enemies! Deep, deep within our body lies the honed instinct to kill, and slaughter our enemies! But you don't have that! You don't have those pure, base instincts! You fight with your brain. You try to defeat your enemies with logic! And it doesn't work! You're trying to cut them with a sheathed sword! That's why you're weaker than me, Ichigo!"

Dark Specter

Dark Specter

Wrought IRON

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 212 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:540018
  • Souls Baptized:15040
but i am more into things like this My link and quantum technology
Victory or Death

IRON the home of the brave, the proud and the willing to protect peace.

Posted Image

^ made by Lorikz

Posted Image

Alliances fought

LSF, Sparta

Number of Nations put into Anarchy: 7

(To Ichigo) "Ichigo, what's the difference between a king and his horse? I don't mean kiddy shit like "One's a person and one's an animal" or "One has two legs and one has four." If their form, ability and power were exactly the same, why is it that one becomes the king and controls the battle, while the other becomes the horse and carries the king?! There's only one answer. Instinct! In order for identical beings to get stronger and gain the power they need to become king, they must search for more battles and power! They thirst for battle, and live to mercilessly, crush, shred, and slice their enemies! Deep, deep within our body lies the honed instinct to kill, and slaughter our enemies! But you don't have that! You don't have those pure, base instincts! You fight with your brain. You try to defeat your enemies with logic! And it doesn't work! You're trying to cut them with a sheathed sword! That's why you're weaker than me, Ichigo!"

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
Posted Image

Also, dark matter is not anti-matter :P

Dark matter
Anti-matter

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DevastationStation

DevastationStation

Baptized

• NM|Former Member
  • 824 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:219130
  • Souls Baptized:1,284,002
In it's current state it will be years until any kind of use will be derived from it, however as such with all great scientific experiments and findings, it will be tested in the weaponry class before anything else (at least maybe not publically announced). It is human nature (or will be explained via 'we must defend ourselves'!) We are thrilled for creation, we strive for destruction.

Posted Image

Shan Revan

Shan Revan

Tempered IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 1,877 posts
  • Resources:
I'm not sure we'll ever find a direct use of this knowledge (as in a means to manipulate the higgs field) - considering the rather extreme conditions required to even produce. It's hard to say though - no one expected to be cooking when they invented microwaves. However it's vastly important because it confirms parts of existing theories and challenges others - it means we can now solidly move forward with better theories. The standard model, as it exists, is actually woefully inadequate. It outright ignores gravity for instance and dark energy. Whether or not it's ever a directly useful technology, the knowledge that can be built on this is very important and probably more directly useful.

Not to mention all the new technologies and processes invented for the LHC to work since construction started is expected to pay back the 7.5B E something like 350% which is hard to complain about.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507

Oooh Physics geniuses.

I rather doubt it traveled at FTL nor is it likely to get us appreciably closer to real space travel (at least not in the short term, the higgs boson is massively important, and with the greater understanding it will provide who the hell knows what shakes loose in the next 50-100 years)

Antimatter is matter composed of the various antiparticles, (A particle with the same mass but opposite charge, so the antielectron or positron mass the same mass as an electron, but a positive charge). Otherwise it should have the exact same properties as regular matter (Ignoring the fact that there's WAY less of it then there should be)

Dark Matter is matter that doesn't emit (or absorb) light or EM radiation (Which is to say it's literally dark matter) in contrast to "luminous" matter which does . This makes it impossible to observe through telescopes. It'll be composed of an as yet unobserved subatomic particle.

Also, dark matter is not anti-matter :P

Technically incorrect. Unless dark matter is very weird, there should be Antidark matter.

Edited by Rand0m her0, 06 July 2012 - 05:03 AM.

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shan Revan

Shan Revan

Tempered IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 1,877 posts
  • Resources:

I rather doubt it traveled at FTL nor is it likely to get us appreciably closer to real space travel (at least not in the short term, the higgs boson is massively important, and with the greater understanding it will provide who the hell knows what shakes loose in the next 50-100 years)

Antimatter is matter composed of the various antiparticles, (A particle with the same mass but opposite charge, so the antielectron or positron mass the same mass as an electron, but a positive charge). Otherwise it should have the exact same properties as regular matter (Ignoring the fact that there's WAY less of it then there should be)

Dark Matter is matter that doesn't emit (or absorb) light or EM radiation, which makes it impossible to observe through telescopes (Which is to say it's literally dark matter). It'll be composed of an as yet unobserved subatomic particle.

Technically incorrect. Unless dark matter is very weird, there should be Antidark matter.

Fun fact, if matter were to fall backwards in time, it would look and behave exactly like anti-matter.
Also there's heaps of anti-particles popping in and out of existence within every single proton constantly. It's a real complicated mess.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DevastationStation

DevastationStation

Baptized

• NM|Former Member
  • 824 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:219130
  • Souls Baptized:1,284,002

I'm not sure we'll ever find a direct use of this knowledge (as in a means to manipulate the higgs field) - considering the rather extreme conditions required to even produce. It's hard to say though - no one expected to be cooking when they invented microwaves. However it's vastly important because it confirms parts of existing theories and challenges others - it means we can now solidly move forward with better theories. The standard model, as it exists, is actually woefully inadequate. It outright ignores gravity for instance and dark energy. Whether or not it's ever a directly useful technology, the knowledge that can be built on this is very important and probably more directly useful.

Not to mention all the new technologies and processes invented for the LHC to work since construction started is expected to pay back the 7.5B E something like 350% which is hard to complain about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all conspiracy and no theory - I think this is one of the most important things to happen within the scientific field in some years (thinking almost first computer proportions (a.k.a T.I. -01, not really but it was basically a giant calculator)). Now, if we could just figure out cold fusion.

Posted Image

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
grats, they "think" they found something that will have no direct application whatsoever cause they made it the same way the universe did, a Big Bang. They also found it as long as the universe does, uncountable in milliseconds.

Theoretical physics is nice and all but theory is usually applicable to something, these fellows are going off into mathematical models where few know what greek symbol is what and even fewer know what the next line should be. Pointless mostly imo.

Yes I am raving cause I can't understand it myself but want to :(

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all conspiracy and no theory - I think this is one of the most important things to happen within the scientific field in some years (thinking almost first computer proportions (a.k.a T.I. -01, not really but it was basically a giant calculator)). Now, if we could just figure out cold fusion.

Proving it's existence will confirm the Higgs mechanism and give us a better foundation to build new theory on, which could lead to who the hell knows what. We're unlikely to see some new world changing tech come out of this however, assuming this is even the Higgs boson.

As for cold fusion happening... may as well hope for power-plants that run on fairy dust instead.
Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shan Revan

Shan Revan

Tempered IRON

• NM|Former Member
  • 1,877 posts
  • Resources:
We'd be better off investing in things like LFTR reactors than cold fusion. Or straight up hot-fusion.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users