Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Military

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

sapper

sapper

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 445 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:533526
  • Squadron:Alpha

If you are anything like me you will find you generally hate the everyday BS that comes with military life but the people around you make it worth putting up with it.

This, so damn much!

Most of the cadets in my unit are imbeciles. Sadly.

I'd say that's how its going to be until responsibilities gets thrust upon them.

Edited by sapper, 07 December 2013 - 12:08 AM.

You've obviously never had head from a chick who can take her teeth out.

#1 thing to remember here is f*ck them.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Yates

Yates

Baptized

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 868 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:222016
  • Souls Baptized:5,185,190
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

Most of the cadets in my unit are imbeciles. Sadly.

I'd say that's how its going to be until responsibilities gets thrust upon them.

Which is why over 90% of the best Officers in the military were NCO's first.

I have a funny story related to this about an Officer getting smoked by an NCO [Yes. I said that right. The OFFICER was smoked by an NCO.] but maybe later.

[@Sapper - it has to do with a fresh ROTC butter bar and a CSM he called "sarge"   :lol:  Good times!]

Number8

Number8

Chairman of the IRON Eight

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 258 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:539459
  • Souls Baptized:355,985
We had a Captian Coward and a Major Major.

Posted Image

Chancellor of The Separated States

Member of IRON

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.

May God have mercy for my enemies because I won't.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

nconcilla

nconcilla

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 156 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:541003
  • Souls Baptized:10,171
  • Discord ID:TheNictator

I always hear that the best officers are prior NCO as well. I didn't go that route because I got offered the Army ROTC 4 year scholarship which was hard to turn down. I'm hoping I can take what I've learned from prior service officers and NCOs that I know to make sure I'm not like the butter bar you had.

Also I'm hoping that they wise up soon. End of semester means performance reviews, and we just lost our 13th cadet in just my class alone so far. It's embarrassing.

When Philip II sent a message to Sparta saying "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta", the Spartans responded with the single, terse reply: "If."

2 Nukes have been wasted on me

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Yates

Yates

Baptized

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 868 posts
  • Resources:

Also I'm hoping that they wise up soon. End of semester means performance reviews, and we just lost our 13th cadet in just my class alone so far. It's embarrassing.

When you say "lost our 13th cadet," do you mean they quit, died in a tragic gasoline fight, or couldn't find their way back from an FTX? Because all three are equally likely...

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:480480

Are you telling me that gasoline fights are common in the US military?

Icewolf has been baptized in fire and blood and has emerged as IRON-Bay102174 14th March 2013

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

nconcilla

nconcilla

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 156 posts
  • Resources:

One was because they didn't get medically cleared, three from alcohol related charges from the police, and the other ones were either performance review removals or they quit because it was "too hard." FTX was actually awesome, just freakin cold. We did EST and HEAT Training (among other less enjoyable things) and they were great. Also, we got to sleep in the barracks so it wasn't so bad.

When Philip II sent a message to Sparta saying "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta", the Spartans responded with the single, terse reply: "If."

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Yates

Yates

Baptized

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 868 posts
  • Resources:

One was because they didn't get medically cleared, three from alcohol related charges from the police, and the other ones were either performance review removals or they quit because it was "too hard." FTX was actually awesome, just freakin cold. We did EST and HEAT Training (among other less enjoyable things) and they were great. Also, we got to sleep in the barracks so it wasn't so bad.

Wait. You slept in the barracks during FTX? Whuuu?

nconcilla

nconcilla

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 156 posts
  • Resources:

It was 10 degrees that night so they took pity on us. Remember, were a college unit, and cadets are pansies.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lorikz Kain

Lorikz Kain

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,105 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:339638
  • Souls Baptized:4,484,630
  • Squadron:Kilo

The best thing any officer can do is listen to the advice of their senior NCOs. You do that and everything will be fine. Just don't be this guy: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/10/2nd-lt-promises-screw-first-address-wrong-platoon/

"Sir, we are surrounded!"
"Excellent! That means we can attack in any direction!"

Former: Councilor, Secretary of State, Academy Headmaster, BoI Editor In Chief, Postmaster General,

Diplomacy Director, Diplomat, Express Delivery Staff, RADAR (SWAG), Mentor, Recruiter,

Echo CO, Echo XO, Delta XO, Alpha MS, Mentor Staff, Academy Staff, Vault (Mattech)

(TLDR: No Longer Relevant)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Baron Aaron

Baron Aaron

Steadfast

• BR|Member
  • 2,731 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:267010
  • Souls Baptized:1,316,864

If you are anything like me you will find you generally hate the everyday BS that comes with military life but the people around you make it worth putting up with it. 

+1

US Navy for 6 years.  Our "grunts" painted ships all day and were not looked highly upon.  

I would really strike out and find a "real" job that will get you something better when you get out.

I did radar while I was in and now I do aerospace electronics.  Joining was the best thing I ever did with my life (even though I hated most of that 6 years).

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=267010

IRON Strong since 3/30/08
baron.aaron.iron on Skype
Proper preparation is the difference between sending and receiving defeat notices.

http://ironcentral.org/community/topic/37553-i-am-iron

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

The Warrior

The Warrior

10th President of IRON

• Secretary of State
  • 19,848 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:264357
  • Souls Baptized:4,017,067

I am not military in real life but I come from a pretty big military family spanning all four branches of the U.S. military. I was considering joining for quite a while throughout college but ultimately did not. I have great respect for each of you who are active/retired/reserves and I want to thank you for your service. I appreciate it greatly.

Nuked 131 times in the name of IRON. Delivered 193 nukes on those stupid enough to oppose IRON.

<&Bay102174>The Warrior has been baptized in fire and blood and emerged as IRON.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

I too have not posted here until now... to me this is sacred ground.

I lost sight in one eye when I was 7 from a jerk swinging a 5 iron, and I have had problems from it all my life.

I made it to Colonel in military school but they never would have let me near billion dollar equipment.

I chose another path. You guys are my heroes and you have my full unconditional support.

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

sapper

sapper

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 445 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:533526

I would really strike out and find a "real" job that will get you something better when you get out.

I'm of the opinion that you should do something in the military that you may never have the chance to do again. Then again, I had to go to school after I got out because there isn't really anyone looking for people who like to blow shit up and lay landmines in the private sector...

You've obviously never had head from a chick who can take her teeth out.

#1 thing to remember here is f*ck them.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

nconcilla

nconcilla

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 156 posts
  • Resources:

The best thing any officer can do is listen to the advice of their senior NCOs. You do that and everything will be fine. Just don't be this guy: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/10/2nd-lt-promises-screw-first-address-wrong-platoon/

That's what I've heard from everyone. I've also heard that there are a lot of snco's that aren't up to snuff to put it nicely. I'm just hoping that luck of the draw is in my favor.

+1

US Navy for 6 years.  Our "grunts" painted ships all day and were not looked highly upon.  

I did radar while I was in and now I do aerospace electronics.  Joining was the best thing I ever did with my life (even though I hated most of that 6 years).

I'm of the opinion that you should do something in the military that you may never have the chance to do again. Then again, I had to go to school after I got out because there isn't really anyone looking for people who like to blow shit up and lay landmines in the private sector...

I'm hoping to branch Civil Affairs or Foreign Area after I make Captain, if they'll let me. Field Artillery first, because I'm told they prefer combat arms prior for CA and FAO. I'm an international relations major and chinese minor. So, hopefully that can be transferred to a "real" job. And so far, so good. Officer is just a tad different than enlisted :P. It's what I want to do and the powers that be granted me a scholarship, here I am.

TW and Lysistrata: I think I can speak for everyone else when I say that your support is very much appreciated, thank you.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Yates

Yates

Baptized

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 868 posts
  • Resources:

You basically *need* combat arms to get past O4.

And whoever told you a "lot" of senior NCO's aren't "up to snuff" is probably an officer that didn't like being put in his place by an NCO that made him feel stupid.  :lol:

You don't get to be a senior NCO by being a screw up because somewhere along the line you will be discovered and simply will not be promoted.  Think about it.  You don't get to E5 due to time in service.  You have to actually take and pass at least PLDC.  And you only get recommended for PLDC by being a solid and promotable E4 since each unit has a finite number of slots allocated [my unit had ONE and gave it to me - because I had them fooled!].  Now think further down the line.  How many E5's are there vying for a single E6 slot?  Even if you somehow fool the system for, technically, a second time [getting promoted to E5 in the first place] what are the chances that as a screw up you are going to beat out a high speed candidate for those super rare E7 slots?  I will buy that there is a small segment of E5's that just don't pan out as expected.  Even if that number is as high as 25% [and I highly doubt that to be the case based on my experience], those low performers aren't going to be recommended for BNCOC [ALC] or ANCOC [SLC].

Conversely, O1-O3 is pretty much promotable due to time in service.  My sister was promoted to O3 while serving the IRR portion of her contract!  O1-O3 are typically XO's, and Company Commanders.  Thus, you have a lot of screw ups running military organizations in a very public way.  It isn't until vying for that O4 position that you really need to be stellar.  And at O4, you're probably getting out of the field and high enough up that you aren't really interacting with enlisted troops all that much anymore.

nconcilla

nconcilla

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 156 posts
  • Resources:

When they said "a lot" it wasn't like, a majority. Just more than you'd expect. 

The SMI (the SNCO of my bn, a MSG) makes it his daily job to ruin someones day. I have an essay on 670-1 because my hair (while in regulation) made me look like a "fucking hippie." Also, E4 is given to any enlistee that has his bachelors (my squad leader freshman year was green to gold, he made E5 within like 6 months of joining, because he came in as an E4, and he was pretty broke dick even for cadet land. Good leader, but didn't know jack.

And yeah, they tell us that the only way you don't get O3 is if you mess up really bad.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Yates

Yates

Baptized

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 868 posts
  • Resources:

Also, E4 is given to any enlistee that has his bachelors (my squad leader freshman year was green to gold, he made E5 within like 6 months of joining, because he came in as an E4, and he was pretty broke dick even for cadet land. Good leader, but didn't know jack.

6 months is pretty fast. That said, unless he's politically connected, what are his chances of making E6 over a better NCO? Obviously, there's always the exception that proves the rule but it seems to me he's the kind of person that stalls at E5 the way some people stall at E4. Just a guess knowing nothing about the soldier but what you said. ;)

nconcilla

nconcilla

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 156 posts
  • Resources:

Also, E4 is given to any enlistee that has his bachelors (my squad leader freshman year was green to gold, he made E5 within like 6 months of joining, because he came in as an E4, and he was pretty broke dick even for cadet land. Good leader, but didn't know jack.

6 months is pretty fast. That said, unless he's politically connected, what are his chances of making E6 over a better NCO? Obviously, there's always the exception that proves the rule but it seems to me he's the kind of person that stalls at E5 the way some people stall at E4. Just a guess knowing nothing about the soldier but what you said. ;)

I hope low, because we conduct squad tactics to evaluate leadership (why I have no idea). And if he were my squad leader I'd be scared. Lol. Great guy though!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users