Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2014 Formula 1 Cars

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:480480
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

So the season tests have begun with the unveiling of the new F1 Cars. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25946895

We have the McLaren Anteater, the Sleek looking red Bull, The Ferrari Vacuum cleaner, the Lotus split nose and the Caterham....well no one knows what the fuck the caterham is supposed to be.

So its waay to early to get an idea of how cars will finally perform, but I guess some people will be excited to see the Red Bull totally failing. Not only does the Renault engine have a problem, but the Red Bull seems to have a fundamental heating problem. To give an idea of how fundamental, it apparently normally takes ten laps for a car to start to overheat if it has a problem. Red Bull overheats in one lap. So even if they fix that they could well go into the next test  having no idea if it will overheat in ten laps time. 

Icewolf has been baptized in fire and blood and has emerged as IRON-Bay102174 14th March 2013

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501

caterham seems to me like a grasscutter, must be the green color >_>

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Theophilos

Theophilos

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,696 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:320624
  • Souls Baptized:5,332,509
It's like the designers went to the zoo or something ... I see an anteater (Ferrari) and one or two platypus' >.>

I mean really they went all out on ugly this season >.<

Edited by Theophilos, 06 February 2014 - 10:03 PM.

mJnoONX.png

Partout où nécessité fait loi

Quodsi ea mihi maxime inpenderet tamen hoc animo fui semper, ut invidiam virtute partam gloriam, non invidiam putarem

3TPCKxk.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:

Now the question will be if McLaren have discovered this years loophole?

Icewolf has been baptized in fire and blood and has emerged as IRON-Bay102174 14th March 2013

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Hooch

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 8,520 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:265174
  • Squadron:Kilo
I firmly believe they have with the wishbone idea (it's also hard forother teams to implement, due to changes etc).
I actually quiite like the look, but then I liked the stepped noses after a while too.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Dodoei123

Dodoei123

Steadfast

• NM|Former Member
  • 2,770 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:160262
I seem to remember one of the teams trying something similar with the front pull/push rod's at one point which got countered by the FIA. Considering the goal of the FIA this year is to make the rear a lot less stickier i'm curious as to see how it will play out. All in all i think it's a great interpretation of the rules and applaud them for it. With all the fuss with Merc > Ferrari > Renault in terms of engines, the little Honda's with great milage for their one car is doing brilliant as well. Can't wait to see bahrain and see all the finished cars for the first time. A lot of them were missing monkey seats and camera mounts and stuff like that. And finally get a tiny peek at what the performance of this years car is compared to last year.

mclaren-and-ferrari-rears-diffuser-mp4-2

As for the looks... The biggest losers are force india and catherham if you ask me :P I think i like the merc the most. To go a bit further on this, i have seen some very interesting images in terms of packaging with renault vs ferrari. ... Can't find it when i spot it again i'll post it. It was from sky. Anyway it came down to ferrari based cars being able to have smaller sidepods (not needing the entire floor space) and on top of that being able to have a lot smaller sidepods in terms of length. So the rear end packaging of all the ferrari based cars is a lot sleeker than the renault engines, well maybe except for red bull but we all know how that ended up :)

dodosigv2-1.png
1zyeyr4.png

Forever for the Light!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Dodoei123

Dodoei123

Steadfast

• NM|Former Member
  • 2,770 posts
  • Resources:
Hmm.. basically these 2 next to each other:

Lotus-E22_3073762.jpg?20140128125133
Ferrari-F14-T2_3072388.jpg?2014012514090

dodosigv2-1.png
1zyeyr4.png

Forever for the Light!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:

Just to note, McLaren are still Mercedes powered, Honda are not in on the act until 2015. GIven two of the top 3 lap counters were mercedes it does seem that Engine has a big reliability side of it, with the Ferrari cars all looking much neater in terms of cooling probably giving the fastest times. 

The Red Bull is even tigher packaged that the Ferrari, which given how wide the rears are on the other Renault cars must be seen as a massive risk as it means that Renault are not confident in their engines cooling ability. However it is strange that their factory team (Red Bull are the de facto factory team) would be the ones to get it so wrong. 

On another note, does anyone else feel that the "floor" of the car, that big ugly square is just...strange looking? It kind of makes the car look like a badly manufactured toy.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Dodoei123

Dodoei123

Steadfast

• NM|Former Member
  • 2,770 posts
  • Resources:
Ah, i misunderstood mclaren then, it makes a lot more sense to me now :D haha. Hmm, compared to ferrari and mercedes themselves the rest of the teams had a certain factor of uncertainty with regards to the body work around the engine and the packaging. That sort of stuff normally gets picked up later in the season. However with red bull being the de facto factory team, i think you are partly right. But i don't think you can neglect the fact that lotus used to be the renault f1 team. I don't know how much they have grown apart, but they are more than just a costumer i think. So for renault it's probably still a little bit of a juggling game rather than the focus on just red bull. Can be wrong though, don't know the inner workings of renault :D.

And yeah from the top down the floor looks ugly. But you still want the full square for aerodynamic purposes. They are basically allowed to have that square as designated area for the floor so they are all using the full size. If at one point they would be allowed to make the square as big as the wheel lines so to say you can put money on it that they will make it that size :P. Then again, you hardly notice it looking at it from the side

dodosigv2-1.png
1zyeyr4.png

Forever for the Light!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:

Red Bull were bragging before the break about how by being a de facto factory team the engine would be packaged so it fit with their design of car. 

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Dodoei123

Dodoei123

Steadfast

• NM|Former Member
  • 2,770 posts
  • Resources:
Disaster for RBR continues :)

dodosigv2-1.png
1zyeyr4.png

Forever for the Light!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:

Looks like the Red Bull finally got some laps in. But with Lotus admitting that their tests are not about finding car balance and Renault still several hundred laps behind the others I would guess there will be a few lurking snags ready to get them.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:

Red Bull are totally screwed. I mean royally and totally.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Hooch

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 8,520 posts
  • Resources:
^

But they do have the fastest jn season development. I expect them to get it right for barcelona. Those double points may come in handy.
come on macca

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Wolfpacks

Wolfpacks

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 5,508 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:492737
  • Souls Baptized:Retired
  • Squadron:Alpha
  • Discord ID:Wolfpacks

Double points is a stupid idea personally,  also i think RBR will get it right in the end, Adrian Newey is to good to get it wrong for long. most people think Rosberg is favorite if RBR dont get it right but i think Hamilton is by far the better driver.

For continued dedication and tenacity, as a warrior and as military officer. Wolfpacks has been fighting both in this war and the last with complete abandon, he has also been pounding the pavement as Commanding Officer making sure every enemy has been covered.Without members like you IRON would be less of an alliance. Well done.
Wolfpacks has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

NAAC Will Never Be Forgotten
Ero Sum Ideo Vici

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:
Hamilton is faster but less consistent.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Wolfpacks

Wolfpacks

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 5,508 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:492737
  • Souls Baptized:Retired
  • Squadron:Alpha
  • Discord ID:Wolfpacks

he also has had a lot of bad luck with tyres and engine failures, 

For continued dedication and tenacity, as a warrior and as military officer. Wolfpacks has been fighting both in this war and the last with complete abandon, he has also been pounding the pavement as Commanding Officer making sure every enemy has been covered.Without members like you IRON would be less of an alliance. Well done.
Wolfpacks has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

NAAC Will Never Be Forgotten
Ero Sum Ideo Vici

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Stewie

Stewie

Quenched

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 282 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:152155
  • Souls Baptized:25,261,424
Button will win the world championship

Leader of Non Grata

https://discord.gg/VGHVNqD

Ironmonger of the Forge Accords

Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Hooch

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 8,520 posts
  • Resources:
#yearofthebutton
#ibelieveinmclaren

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:
Hamiltons lack of consistency goes deeper than engine issuea

Edited by Icewolf, 02 March 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users