Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Into The Wild

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire
Has anyone ever been on a survivalist adventure?

I am planning to go live in the wild. (No, that wasn't a joke.) I have to do some prep, like lots of reading, saving up some money for a new gun and misc supplies. I also need to find someone who's done this before and go on a few practice treks. I hope to be living off the land by next year. Where? I'm not sure yet. Utah and Montana have some nice wilderness, but I haven't decided on location yet.
I'm wondering if anyone here has done something like this before? If so, do you have any advise or helpful tips?
My biggest concerns are illnesses, the winter, and loneliness.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811
  • Squadron:Kilo

I personally haven't gone to quite that extreme, living off the land somewhere in the wild. But over the years I've been gathering supplies for in the event of a disaster, man made or otherwise. Not exactly part of the 'prepper' sphere, but I identify with those interested in securing their own survival, independent from the rest of society.

Some of the things I put major emphasis on are:

Learning skills. This is the most important aspect of survival. Some people feel that if they buy tons of high quality gear and tools it will help them achieve their goals. That is very far from the truth. The best tools in the world are worthless without the knowledge to properly utilize them. Best way to learn is to have others teach you, or by reading manuals/books. Which brings me to my next point.

Reading. Check out your local library for a start, and if they fail to offer much, go to a bookstore. By no means is this only regulated to print. Many excellent survival forums and blogs exist out there. In fact, almost every detail that can be found in survival books, can be found for free online. If you have a Kindle, Nook, or some other Tablet, you look into ebooks. Ebooks typically cost less than buying a printed book.

Necessities. This category is very broad. It includes food, water, soap, and medical supplies.

Firearms. The main tool for self defense. While ammunition can be expensive, its important to shoot regularly. Establish good shooting habits and accuracy will improve over time. Learn to completely disassemble and clean your firearms after each use. Rifles or shotguns can also be used for hunting. While pistols are more ideal for self defense, given short range and lower stopping power. Acquire firearms in popular calibers (.22, .223, 7.62x39, .308, 30-06, 9mm, 45ACP, .38 Special, .357 Mag) as ammunition is abundant. Avoid the odd ball calibers as cost is likely be higher and availability is low. Your ammunition supply should contain both Full Metal Jacket and Hollow Points (or some other expanding bullet). So I have to ask, what firearms have you been considering?

I'll post one of my favorite survival sites. Its probably the best survival blog on the internet. It contains a vast array of knowledge to help you get started and pointed into the right direction.

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
I'm thinking something like a .308 maybe. Idealy, I don't want to rely too much on technology, nor do I want to be packing around a while arsenal. I want a single hunting rifle I can use for hunting various animals. Though, I've never hunted large game before. Only rabbits and birds.
I think I'm gonna go practice making fire with various methods today. (There's a lot of ways to make fire.)
And thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

His Lordship

His Lordship

Raccoon Handler

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 307 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:531953
  • Souls Baptized:96,714
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat
I would advise you against this completely. If you really want to do this then fill your brain with knowledge on how to actually survive of the land and have a good set of tools that you can properly work with. You'll be fine for a while. Remember humans don't survive I their own, the reasons the native Americans survived living off the land is because they worked together. Good luck

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Antoine Roquentin

Antoine Roquentin

Quenched

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:533155

Just don't end up like Christopher McCandless. He made a lot of bad moves.

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

Try Chicago or Detroit. Good Luck :)

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

I would advise you against this completely. If you really want to do this then fill your brain with knowledge on how to actually survive of the land and have a good set of tools that you can properly work with. You'll be fine for a while. Remember humans don't survive I their own, the reasons the native Americans survived living off the land is because they worked together. Good luck

I know for a fact people have successfully done this alone. And I will be doing a lot of learning, experimenting and testing first.
I know I want to take classes on wild plants for sure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
Also, I would take a companion so long as they can contribute skills and are crazy enough to actually do it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

His Lordship

His Lordship

Raccoon Handler

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 307 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:531953
  • Souls Baptized:96,714

A companion would probably be your best bet.

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811

It would be wise to take someone whose skill set differs from yours. You can support eachother better, and in the meantime be gaining a vast array of knowledge. And make sure you get along with them. Last thing you need is getting into ridiculous arguments when preparing food supplies or building a shelter.

I highly recommend beginning to learn now as it takes years to perfect survival skills. It doesn't take long to have a basic understanding, by then you will know enough just to get by. But the more knowledge you accumulate the better. It will make life in the wild a whole lot easier and much more bearable. Your local community college might offer wildlife courses, and I suggest checking if your library does as well.

As for the caliber you mentioned, .308 is an excellent choice. Your two main options will be Bolt Action Rifles, or semi auto rifles based around the AR-10 system.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Third King

Third King

Retired

• NM|Former Member
  • 6,250 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:352151
  • Souls Baptized:4,287,567

Yeah we don't want that happening.

Another interesting option. I don't know where you're from, but living in a large city on your own can be equally as challenging. Maybe NYC, or even a foreign city like.

Either way, good luck. 

Kicking this much ass makes me warm and fuzzy.
Third King you have been Baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

yiannakis

yiannakis

Baptized

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 839 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:613250
  • Souls Baptized:0
  • Squadron:Alpha
Try swimming through the pacific.......I dont mean NpO..im talking about the ocean
IRAKLIS THESSALONIKI GATE 10 ULTRAS!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

War 2nd Horseman

War 2nd Horseman

Masked Menace

• NM|Former Member
  • 562 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:548363
  • Souls Baptized:1/3
Not much I personally know but what I do know is that it's not easy, it's a lot of hard work. Time, energy, dedication, and even though it may sound cheesy, willpower. Those are the most important factors.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

Yeah we don't want that happening.

Another interesting option. I don't know where you're from, but living in a large city on your own can be equally as challenging. Maybe NYC, or even a foreign city like.

Either way, good luck. 

I hate big cities. Concrete is pretty ugly and people people people. Shootings are very rare where I live because there are so few people. Crowded places are disgusting to me.

It would be wise to take someone whose skill set differs from yours. You can support eachother better, and in the meantime be gaining a vast array of knowledge. And make sure you get along with them. Last thing you need is getting into ridiculous arguments when preparing food supplies or building a shelter.

I highly recommend beginning to learn now as it takes years to perfect survival skills. It doesn't take long to have a basic understanding, by then you will know enough just to get by. But the more knowledge you accumulate the better. It will make life in the wild a whole lot easier and much more bearable. Your local community college might offer wildlife courses, and I suggest checking if your library does as well.

As for the caliber you mentioned, .308 is an excellent choice. Your two main options will be Bolt Action Rifles, or semi auto rifles based around the AR-10 system.

Bolt action. Easy to maintain.
And I've already started learning, reading and experimenting with fire. :P
I grew up spending a lot of time in the wilderness. I have some mediocre experience already, at the least.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

LORD LEVISTUS

LORD LEVISTUS

Forged

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 70 posts
  • Resources:

So many times this.

You're going to be cut off from society, and while it's really easy to survive most anywhere through spring to fall, winters kill. We live in a world where barter isn't a very viable way to trade (at least if you stay on north america) and what little money you have saved will be lost fairly quickly. You'll find that you have no food, and at best poor shelter in the worst time to face those challenges.

Not saying it can't be done, but if you're just now leaning towards educating yourself on flora you're years away from being able to pull this off responsibly.

levi.png
regent.png

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
Well, I have survived with no money before... Plenty of times in fact.
I'm a type of person who gives no shit about money. In fact, I've always thought it was stupid. As far as bartering goes, it's actually fairly common in very rural areas. You just have to know how to talk to people and be able to deliver. Money is no object to me. Once I go fully into this, I plan to have no money, ID, SS Card, or any of that crap.
Winter? Yes, I already stated that winter is one of my biggest concerns. Unfortunately, I can't find much info on winter survival that I don't already know. Which is why I want to find someone who has done this before.

Despite the fact that I've just started learning, I do have a more knowledge of the wild than most Americans. And if people could do this thousands of years ago, so can I.
If I unfortunately die in the process, so be it. I have no fear of death and death by nature is actually my preferred way of dying. I would have no regrets if it were nature taking me out.

So is there really nobody on here who has done this? Or something close? (Not camping).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:534338
  • Souls Baptized:773,445

Looking for off-the-grid survivalists on the internet is...ironic? It sounds like you're approaching it as a learning experience, which will help a lot. Master the skills over time. Doing something when you're cold and starving is different than in a backyard or park. Also, don't approach it as a stress-free lifestyle. Living in the wilderness is far more stressful than life in the city. When most people think of stress that they experience, it's just bullshit that bosses and society puts in their heads. City dwellers can eat, drink, and sleep without worrying much about getting sick or dying (driving is hazardous, but that's about it; most other hazards are unlikely or take decades to harm you). In the wilderness, any wrong decision can and will kill you. It's like being in a constant war against nature and your own body just to survive. Nature is the mother of mankind, but she can take you out of this world as easily as she brought you in. A great test for someone who wants one.

Definitely look for a mentor, but I advise looking for someone closer to the area you want to get lost in. Every wilderness is different, and native people had a lifetime of knowledge to draw on. Surviving in Montana is different than Utah which is different from your home turf. Most survivalist types don't have a big web presence, so you are better off checking out the places they might return to society. Stores that sell supplies they might need, hunting clubs, etc.

Good luck with your journey. Hopefully, it leads you where you want to go, whether that's a full natural existence or a better appreciation for the beauty and horror of nature.

Hippie Warrior

tumblr_ltn48fQZK51qlktl7o1_500.gif

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

MutedFaith

MutedFaith

Wrought IRON

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 127 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:155817
  • Souls Baptized:3,998,189

How the fuck are you oing to play CN while in the wild?

HcmYm.gif

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

Will be sending my tech deals on a smart phone while roasting rat on a spit.

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Road2Victory

Road2Victory

Traitor

• Dishonoured - TRAITOR
  • 16,979 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:552089
  • Souls Baptized:556,516

You play with satellite internet lol. 

I think I read book about somebody who survived in Alaska and lived there for thirty years. 

Posted Image
Joshua 1:9
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"- Winston Churchill
"War does not determine who is right-only who is left" -Bertrand Russell
"We shall show mercy, but shall not ask for it"- Winston Churchill
"You ask what the aim is? I tell you it is victory- total victory"- Winston Churchill

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users