Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Into The Wild

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Road2Victory

Road2Victory

Traitor

• Dishonoured - TRAITOR
  • 16,979 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:552089
  • Souls Baptized:556,516
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

And also this reminds me of another book called "Into the Wild by Jon Krakuer  that I had to read for class. 

Posted Image
Joshua 1:9
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"- Winston Churchill
"War does not determine who is right-only who is left" -Bertrand Russell
"We shall show mercy, but shall not ask for it"- Winston Churchill
"You ask what the aim is? I tell you it is victory- total victory"- Winston Churchill

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

And also this reminds me of another book called "Into the Wild by Jon Krakuer  that I had to read for class. 

I've seen the movie. It's a true story.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

War 2nd Horseman

War 2nd Horseman

Masked Menace

• NM|Former Member
  • 562 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:548363
  • Souls Baptized:1/3

Are you still going to be doing this? If so when?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Road2Victory

Road2Victory

Traitor

• Dishonoured - TRAITOR
  • 16,979 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:552089
  • Souls Baptized:556,516

I've seen the movie. It's a true story.

Yeah me too.  :)

Posted Image
Joshua 1:9
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"- Winston Churchill
"War does not determine who is right-only who is left" -Bertrand Russell
"We shall show mercy, but shall not ask for it"- Winston Churchill
"You ask what the aim is? I tell you it is victory- total victory"- Winston Churchill

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
So....
I've given up on this idea. Its just too difficult for one person to survive year round in the wild. I've had a couple people offer to go with me, but only people I barely know who have never done this either. I wouldn't want to end up in the wild to find out I don't get along with said person. :P
Aside from that, I've done tons of reading about winter survival and there doesn't seem to be any tips that I wouldn't already know. Overall, winter sounds like a death trap.
Further more, I've realized just how much practice and studying this would require. I'd never be able to meet my next summer deadline at this rate. I've only grazed the surface of learning about edible plants, an extremely tricky topic.

Though I'm not going to give up on practicing survival skills and learning all of this anyway, I don't think I'll be living indefinitely in the wild.
Instead, I'm leaning towards going to school for web design, graphic arts, or something along those lines.
-______-

BTW, I've already learned quite a bit about survival. Spent a week in the mountains with nothing other than what I could fit in a backpack. I realized just how for granted we take the most basic things, like fire and friends. It's almost hard to believe how far we've come from living in caves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

War 2nd Horseman

War 2nd Horseman

Masked Menace

• NM|Former Member
  • 562 posts
  • Resources:

Sorry to hear that, but at least you learned and are still learning a lot! Learning survival skills have always been an interest of mine. I would love to spend the Summer camping with friends and they would come in handy  :P

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

Sorry to hear that, but at least you learned and are still learning a lot! Learning survival skills have always been an interest of mine. I would love to spend the Summer camping with friends and they would come in handy  :P

I certainly plan to keep learning and practicing when I have time. But for now, I'm looking into online schools and getting a laptop.
BTW, I like your avatar. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

War 2nd Horseman

War 2nd Horseman

Masked Menace

• NM|Former Member
  • 562 posts
  • Resources:

Haha thank you it was a much needed upgrade  :D

Posted ImagePosted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Third King

Third King

Retired

• NM|Former Member
  • 6,250 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:352151
  • Souls Baptized:4,287,567

A week in the woods by yourself? That's damn impressive.

Kicking this much ass makes me warm and fuzzy.
Third King you have been Baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:534338
  • Souls Baptized:773,445

You might look into hiking/camping, rather than full-blown survival. It can be a relatively cheap hobby that helps to recontextualize any stress you're feeling. Especially if you look at it as minimalist camping, rather than the money drains that most people turn it into.

Hippie Warrior

tumblr_ltn48fQZK51qlktl7o1_500.gif

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Cadana

Cadana

Tempered IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 1,210 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:543690
  • Souls Baptized:0
  • Squadron:Alpha

I'm thinking something like a .308 maybe. Idealy, I don't want to rely too much on technology, nor do I want to be packing around a while arsenal. I want a single hunting rifle I can use for hunting various animals. Though, I've never hunted large game before. Only rabbits and birds.
I think I'm gonna go practice making fire with various methods today. (There's a lot of ways to make fire.)
And thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I don't have much experience with weapons, but I did shoot a .308. I found it a very light weapon. Depending on where you are going and the local wildlife, you might want to have a bit more firepower. I definately wouldn't want to be facing, say, a grizzly bear when all I have is a .308 peashooter...

Posted Image
My own little linkdump, because they say links help with google:
Boekennieuws, recensies en meer | Backpacken in Australië | Compassion News Network

SQUAD: DELTA

Following some uncoordinated event, this is the official policy of Cadana Pajan. Our nation (or I) will not follow orders from anyone, unless:
1) it has been communicated clearly to me from "higher up the hierarchy" that this individual is indeed an official for IRON.
2) The orders are given, or can be verified, through the forums.

IRC accessible here: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.coldfront.net&channel=%23iron

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

A week in the woods by yourself? That's damn impressive.

I won't lie. First night in the wild with not even a tent was a kinda creepy. After that, it wasn't so bad though.

You might look into hiking/camping, rather than full-blown survival. It can be a relatively cheap hobby that helps to recontextualize any stress you're feeling. Especially if you look at it as minimalist camping, rather than the money drains that most people turn it into.

I go camping all the time. :P
The idea of living in the wild isn't just for fun. Its a personal thing.

I'm thinking something like a .308 maybe. Idealy, I don't want to rely too much on technology, nor do I want to be packing around a while arsenal. I want a single hunting rifle I can use for hunting various animals. Though, I've never hunted large game before. Only rabbits and birds.
I think I'm gonna go practice making fire with various methods today. (There's a lot of ways to make fire.)
And thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I don't have much experience with weapons, but I did shoot a .308. I found it a very light weapon. Depending on where you are going and the local wildlife, you might want to have a bit more firepower. I definately wouldn't want to be facing, say, a grizzly bear when all I have is a .308 peashooter...
Well I live in grizzly turf. There isn't much that's going to stop one of them. That's why you just avoid them.
Living in the wild, I'd want something to hunt with, but not something over powerful that's going to destroy the meat I'm hunting.
I'd imagine most meals would come in a smaller size. So I figure .308 is a good all-around size.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

linpingping1314520

linpingping1314520

Forged

• NM|Registered Users
  • 54 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:000000

delete

Edited by DeathMerchant, 08 October 2017 - 05:16 PM.
Spam. Needs deletion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users