Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My boss might get fired...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

Minister of the Dark Arts

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:162944
  • Souls Baptized:1,876,873
  • Squadron:Kilo
So I've heard it from two independent sources that my boss might be on the way out, this has obviously gotten me bit worried.

As far as work is concerned, I think I'm pretty good at what I do and pretty much analyze as well as operationalise things single handedly in my dept.

Downsides that can be negatives is I am routinely late lol, but I stay late if I have to get things done, and browse a lot of cn if they're monitoring logs, these things tho haven't been mentioned to me directly or indirectly.

My boss is pretty bad at perception management and generally there's alot of shit politics at work sometimes. I generally try to stay out of that and am helpful and respectful to other managers etc. Unfortunately there are some ethnic based lobbies here and I'm not part of that or could ever be. I understand that and try to avoid any negatives with such lobbies.

I got promoted about two months back too, from a management trainee to a junior management, all in all, I fall in management cadre but ATM, within that cadre I'm at the bottom of the food chain.

Nonetheless, I'm worried obviously.

My plan of action is:
- Keep the rumours to myself, don't go around telling anyone or my boss- Stay respectful and loyal to my boss, I avoid gossiping as a rule and just throw diplobs if such things are being talked about.
- Come early and go late.
- keep calm and do the job, go full cylinders nitro mode until things calm down at least.
- Start actively seeking other opportunities.

All in all, I earn three times the average of our university class that passed out, pay is therefore good and I'm at a good place financially, tho the work culture (ethnic lobbies etc and related politics) are shit, but bearable for the time being.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Shahenshah, 27 January 2015 - 06:58 PM.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

you scared your whole department is getting scrapped or another indication it wouldn't just be your boss? Or perhaps worried the replacement would overturn alot, including your own post?

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595

sounds like a good start. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. 

Maybe try if possible unless you have to to stay late. Many employers don't like it too much. Unless you're working off the clock for them. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
Our dept is Sales and marketing. There is one sales guy and I am the marketing guy, plus our boss, who is more marketing type than sales, so we are total of three guys.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
Well, in our particular division, staying late is good, koz the CEO himself stays late than anyone else, I personally hate having my work life balance disrupted, tho I can pretend otherwise for the time being.

As for replacement guy, well I don't know, perhaps its the concern of unknown.

Edited by Shahenshah, 27 January 2015 - 07:07 PM.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

Well if the rumors are true and your boss gets the axe, maybe you work for people that are smart enough to fire him and promote you.

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
I just got one recently, I doubt I'd get any anytime soon.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
Ok new development is I've heard about him in hot waters from other sources, one person told me they don't feel they need him because i can do same work at less than 3x the salary he gets.

I have also gotten two projects, they've been marketed to me as part of my development plan to show I can work independently. One project is to increase M-o-M sales of a category by 60%, its ridiculous. But I've got some good friends in sales who all do me the favor.

So things are getting interesting, it appears my boss is now aware of the trouble he is in, so he is all weird, sometimes, he's ok, sometimes he is not, in either case I'm now working on full cylinders.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Captain Crozier

Captain Crozier

IRON Rose

• Vault: Leadership
  • 13,748 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:374610
  • Souls Baptized:7,459,493

Oh Boy, overtime, same pay!

Good Luck my friend.  Stay Cool.

CC  B)

374610-iron.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:480480

It sounds like you have it covered. I work public sector and the pay gap to my boss is only about 33% more than my current salary, so tbh it sounds strange to here that someone can head a team of 2 and earn 3 times as much, especially if they are not considered to add value as an individual. So it could be a sensible restructure. 

Icewolf has been baptized in fire and blood and has emerged as IRON-Bay102174 14th March 2013

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:

Yea, I just need to execute the two projects, I have the internal and external teams aligned but I need to get those things on the paper now. 

I invited the external Sales guy to my house today, we sat down and jotted the plan down between us but...he is getting married so he'll be off in a week's time for a month lol, talk about random wrenches in your master plans.

The coming week is gonna be hell. But I'll make sure to land a nuke daily, cant have Mand, Imran racing me out on the race :D

@Ice, yea, gap is what it is, I dont mind all that stuff, what I mind is how all of this is happening with lack of transparency.  

Edited by Shahenshah, 06 February 2015 - 09:14 PM.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

welder572

welder572

Steadfast

• BR|Member
  • 3,597 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:130042

Sorry, I'm a Union guy and don't have to look for a job. As most of you know, I move from job to job on a pretty regular basis. Not many politics going on in my line of work, but we do have several occasions of backstabbing when it's time for the lay offs to start. The backstabbers are usually the guys that can't live a week without a paycheck.

The one thing I would like to add is the same thing I tell my apprentices....Have a huge "Go fuck yourself fund". You need to have enough money saved so at any time you can walk in and tell the boss "Go fuck yourself, I quit!! The GFYF is not only to be able to quit, it is also to make sure if you do lose your job you can make it at least 6 months while looking for another one.

Aid Given To IRON Members--956.5 Million
Aid Given To Non-IRON Members--21 Million
Soldiers Given--178,000
Aid Received--41 Million
300 Tech Donated to Matt Tech

Tech Donated--750

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Icewolf

Icewolf

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 2,968 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:480480

Yea, I just need to execute the two projects, I have the internal and external teams aligned but I need to get those things on the paper now. 

I invited the external Sales guy to my house today, we sat down and jotted the plan down between us but...he is getting married so he'll be off in a week's time for a month lol, talk about random wrenches in your master plans.

The coming week is gonna be hell. But I'll make sure to land a nuke daily, cant have Mand, Imran racing me out on the race :D

@Ice, yea, gap is what it is, I dont mind all that stuff, what I mind is how all of this is happening with lack of transparency.  

Lack of transparency is a dumb move. If they are restructuring it should be in the open, if it is a sacking rather than a redundancy it shouldn't be leaking like that. They risk losing good employees who don't like political games that way.

Icewolf has been baptized in fire and blood and has emerged as IRON-Bay102174 14th March 2013

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
Its done, boss given notice. So much work, FML.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Captain Crozier

Captain Crozier

IRON Rose

• Vault: Leadership
  • 13,748 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:374610
  • Souls Baptized:7,459,493

FML ... unfamiliar, guessing screw my life ... close?

Any indications this is the end of it?  Are they looking for a replacement or to "make do"?

I'm sure you are making a good show for yourself, but don't be afraid to arrange things so when it's time to go looking that others can see it too!  Good Times don't last forever OR always return after a rough patch.  I'm not saying "Plan on leaving", I'm saying plan so that IF you leave, it can be easier rather than harder.

Good Luck, Shah!

CC  B)

374610-iron.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:534338
  • Souls Baptized:773,445
i know it hurts now, but try to keep track of everything you are doing that used to be your boss's responsibility. I wouldn't hope too much for an internal promotion (unless you are really lucky or your management is actually smart), but you're more likely to get a better job at another company if you have the experience needed, even without the title.

Hippie Warrior

tumblr_ltn48fQZK51qlktl7o1_500.gif

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Grayshadow

Grayshadow

Tempered IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 1,341 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:184546
  • Souls Baptized:2,234,400

Years ago when I was management one thing I always did was before taking over a new position I got a job description laying out the duties and responsiblilties of the position. It was amazing how often when I took over a new position that the job description was so out of date that it bore little resemblance to the duties of the job at present. This was so that when my boss asked me to take on work and responsibilities beyond my present job description the next year at salary review time I could document an increased level of work and responsibility to justify asking for a raise. :)    

This ties into what Duderonomy said above as well.

Pinky: Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?
Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

Yeah, anyone who isn't willing to negotiate for a raise will never get one. This sad fact is why the average job stay has become 2-4 years rather than the lifetime that Baby Boomers had. Less than 2 years doesn't give you enough time to master your position and give your employer a positive return. More than 4 years without a promotion means you aren't getting one.

Smart management recognizes the benefit of rewarding competent employees, but most would rather have bigger bonuses than lower turnover.

Hippie Warrior

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:

So just an update

- boss asked to leave

- started reporting to ceo

- ceo left, new ceo

- started reporting to new ceo

- new HoD coming, will report to her from tomorrow.

cest la vie

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

Well, at least you have facetime (virtual even if not personal) with the CEO. Keep track of the numbers and duties while you ran the department. Look for a new job, if you'd like to move up. It's obvious this company won't promote you when they just had a big opportunity to do so.

All up what you want to do. If you don't care, then just sit pretty as long as you can. Just make sure the new boss trusts you. In my experience, HoDs generally dislike anyone they didn't hire so watch out for that. I've had to change jobs because HoDs favored their own hirees over me.

Hippie Warrior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users