Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RTS scene dying out?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 471 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:562713
  • Souls Baptized:289,018
  • Squadron:Delta

Can we consider Roller Coaster Tycoon to be an RTS game (in the original, you weren't allowed to construct anything while paused, so all actions needed to be done as the clock was ticking)?  If so, it was my favorite way back in the day.

Age of Empires II was a loved title as well.  It was nice that it was resurrected for modern computers recently, though I've unfortunately lost all my muscle memory needed to play well.

I would not call Roller Coaster Tycoon a RTS. I'd personally call it Economy strategy. Witch isn't bad, I enjoyed RCT growing up. I'd personally love a new one, that had a muitiplayer Feature, and you could visit other peoples parks, and compete in how much money, how many guests, and compete for guests and money. I wouldn't also mind if they re-made Jurassic Park, Operation Genesis. For a PS2 game, it was amazing and ahead of its time. I'd be willing to drop the cash for that in an Instant to create my own Jurassic Park again. 

RCT series to me personally is just a Simulation game.

All for the Grateful Fatherland in this Glorious Struggle; Honored in Blood. Presented to us in this Iron Cross

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Niels

Niels

Tempered IRON

• BR|Member
  • 1,810 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:520160
  • Squadron:Kilo

Can we consider Roller Coaster Tycoon to be an RTS game (in the original, you weren't allowed to construct anything while paused, so all actions needed to be done as the clock was ticking)?  If so, it was my favorite way back in the day.

Age of Empires II was a loved title as well.  It was nice that it was resurrected for modern computers recently, though I've unfortunately lost all my muscle memory needed to play well.

I would not call Roller Coaster Tycoon a RTS. I'd personally call it Economy strategy. Witch isn't bad, I enjoyed RCT growing up. I'd personally love a new one, that had a muitiplayer Feature, and you could visit other peoples parks, and compete in how much money, how many guests, and compete for guests and money. I wouldn't also mind if they re-made Jurassic Park, Operation Genesis. For a PS2 game, it was amazing and ahead of its time. I'd be willing to drop the cash for that in an Instant to create my own Jurassic Park again. 

I suppose Economy Strategy is a fair genre to lump RCT into.  That's where other vintage, but nostalgia-inducing, titles like Sim City 2000 and Railroad Tycoon II are.  Somewhere I think I have the disk for the latter - wonder how well it runs on a Win 7 machine.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

Minister of the Dark Arts

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:162944
  • Souls Baptized:1,876,873
Anyone remembers 7 kingdoms? That hooked me in, I played my first ever multiplayer on Red alert 1, you would dial to friends number on 56k modem, good times.

What I feel as also mentioned is converting people to this genre is a bit harder. I managed to convince a few guys in uni to play Ra2 (they were all single player ra2 fans), hit 7 of them like a truck on the map and they never played again. :-/.

Similarly, some new friends wants to play DOTA or something, they just get raoed even if you're going easy on them.

I don't think there's all slow and wait involved these, you generally get hit within first 5 mins.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

I got 7 Kingdoms, never understoof how it worked. Then again i hardly tried and I was way younger :D

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Khandov

Khandov

Wrought IRON

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 189 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:555876

All you who complain about bygone RTS era being dead since EA raped C&C franchise, wipe your tears and grab your vuwuzelas. Act of Agression will resurrect the oldschool RTS genre and we will greet Eugene Systems as heroes.

tgE7uci.jpg

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595

We should make a list of Good RTS games and discuss if worhty of remakes. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lord Hippo

Lord Hippo

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 116 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:572553
  • Souls Baptized:0
I feel like an AoE tournament between ourselves would be pretty sweet.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Khandov

Khandov

Wrought IRON

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 189 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:555876

We should make a list of Good RTS games and discuss if worhty of remakes. 

Rise of Nations. it's one of these I want to get so much but am too busy with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

tgE7uci.jpg

DarkFox

DarkFox

Minister of Defense

• Minister of Defence
  • 2,315 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:215271
  • Souls Baptized:7

I feel like an AoE tournament between ourselves would be pretty sweet.

That would be awesome

DarkFox, Since joining IRON you have been a great asset in our Military. You exemplify the IRON Values in support of IRON. Your hard work and dedication is not unnoticed.

DarkFox has been baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

Minister of the Dark Arts

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:162944
  • Souls Baptized:1,876,873

All you who complain about bygone RTS era being dead since EA raped C&C franchise, wipe your tears and grab your vuwuzelas. Act of Agression will resurrect the oldschool RTS genre and we will greet Eugene Systems as heroes.

AoA looks very interesting

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Raugin Bludhaven

Raugin Bludhaven

Cast IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 731 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:563022
  • Squadron:Alpha

Yeah, currently have my eye on AoA too.