Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RTS scene dying out?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

Minister of the Dark Arts

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:162944
  • Souls Baptized:1,876,873
  • Squadron:Kilo
You guys feeling the same, I think the last surge happened with StarCraft 2 launch, there hasn't been much hype going on in the scene...

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:040973
  • Souls Baptized:7,122,755
  • Discord ID:Blade
The Total War series is still going strong. Personally I think it's a shame that the FPS + crime genres are doing so well... stifles growth in other areas.

40973-detailed.png

Blade 619 you have been baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

I will remember this, Blade, and I will be forever grateful... oh hell words fail me!  ( @ )( @ )

Revenge is best served cold, tasting of vanilla yoghurt with vanilla and chocolate balls.

Leave it to Blade to step in and say the most completely true post in this thread. You make my day Sir.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976
Yeah I get the same feeling...

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 471 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:562713
  • Souls Baptized:289,018
  • Squadron:Delta

yeah same here too... personally the RTS genre is what led me to gaming. Now I'm focusing on other genre (mainly Geo-Political Simulation/Business Sims.. etc about sims... Oh and some stealth games like the AC series or Hitman.)

While we're at it, what games do you guys recommend? (Preferably games from the RTS/Sims [as mentioned above] genres)

All for the Grateful Fatherland in this Glorious Struggle; Honored in Blood. Presented to us in this Iron Cross

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lord Hippo

Lord Hippo

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 116 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:572553
  • Souls Baptized:0
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

I used to play a shitload of Empire Earth, but it's kind of an old game. It came out in 1999 iirc.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

I remember my first RTS game. C&C Red Alert. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 471 posts
  • Resources:

I used to play a shitload of Empire Earth, but it's kind of an old game. It came out in 1999 iirc.

I've heard of the EE series before but I cant find a decent place for me to get the game... without "paying." (yes, I'm talking about a torrent site that gives a decent amount of seeders..)

I remember my first RTS game. C&C Red Alert. :P

hey thats my first also.. XD

good times.

All for the Grateful Fatherland in this Glorious Struggle; Honored in Blood. Presented to us in this Iron Cross

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:534338
  • Souls Baptized:773,445

727007-950820083_00.jpg

Ah, Dune 2 and taking down the Atriedies menace with Harkonnen nukes.

I think the RTS is a victim of the increase in nation sims (Paradox games, Civ, etc.). The arcadey action of old style RTSes worked well with the technology of the time, but tastes have turned to the more complex sims as computer specs got better. Players that want strategic action go to your LoLs, instead.

Crime/FPS games may have a small impact, but their audience is pretty different from your standard strategy player. Their growth is more likely from non-gamers joining the hobby than existing gamers abandoning other genres. These genres are the easiest to understand and play, so they attract a more casual audience looking to blow off steam. Strategy players enjoy puzzling out play mechanics and developing system efficiencies, which isn't going to be satisfied with an FPS.

Hippie Warrior

tumblr_ltn48fQZK51qlktl7o1_500.gif

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Lord Hippo

Lord Hippo

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 116 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:572553
  • Souls Baptized:0

Games like CK2 and EU4 are macro level, though. They're similar, but not the same as games where you micro-control units like in SC2 for example.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

Games like CK2 and EU4 are macro level, though. They're similar, but not the same as games where you micro-control units like in SC2 for example.

Yeah, but in the 90s, those games couldn't have even existed on the level they are now. So people got their strategy on with RTSes, instead. Now that there's a more satisfying way to scratch the itch, that portion of the RTS audience is going away. I'm one example (played the Warcrafts, Dune 2, AoEs, and the Starcrafts, but haven't touched an RTS in years, while I've put hundreds of hours into nation sims).

Micro-control is better suited to the action RPGs, since you have more control of the characters. That leaves the RTS in an awkward niche between two genres that better suit those needs. Some innovator could find a way to revitalize the genre, but you can't just re-skin the mechanics anymore and make a profit, like you could in the 90s.

Hippie Warrior

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811

Some of the best RTS games were Age of Empires 1 and 2, Starcraft 1 and 2, Empire Earth Series, Command and Conquer games up until about late 00s, Rise of Nations, Dawn of War 1 (Dawn of War 2's gameplay is debatable), Company of Heroes 1, Men of War, Supreme Commander, Ruse, World in Conflict, Sins of a Solar Empire, and the Wargame Series.

Other awesome strategy games include the Total War and Civilization Series. Although some of the newer Total War games aren't living up to the expectations of their predecessors.

I have yet to experience a new, enjoyable RTS series or game that has come out since 2010. With the sole exception of the Wargame Series. Unfortunately the RTS genre has been quite stagnant for about 4-5 years.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595

The first strategy game I owned was Kessen. Its a fun game on the PS2, but I've pretty much done everything on it except on the harder lvls, where it basicly spams. 

The next RTS was Endwar. I loved that game, and was my favorite 360 game. Besides maybe Mass Effect 2. Cammand and Counqur didn't come later, but it didn't meassure up to Endwar, with 1v1's, 2v2's, and 4v4's as a strategy game. 

Infinite Crisis, LoL, Total wars are fun to me. (Unless we talking about empire total war, that one is my least favorite). 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501

people are enjoying over the top fancy graphics to much I guess.

never understood why stuff needed to be so "shiny", its about the game, not the desktop picture generating capability :(

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lord Winter

Lord Winter

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 164 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:543625

Issue with RTS games is that it doesn't take long to run out of new settings. There are only so many History/Space/Future based RTS games you can have before they start appearing the same

Also each RTS uses different styles of economy/military management (or whatever else it allows you to control), and everyone will have their own preferred style they enjoy the most. For me that has been the Supreme Commander 1 & FA, that uses both simple resources that can become complex to maintain late game, and can be seen as a complex game to play with a debatably steep learning curve, especially in multiplayer.

Also some people just don't like the time required in RTS to build up your forces/strength etc. and prefer to get straight into the action, which you can do in most FPS, RPG, and Action/Adventure games.

But that's just my opinion.

Aequali tenore ... Donec End.

Posted Image

Unwavering... Till the End.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo

Quenched

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 471 posts
  • Resources:

Personally, I think the games of today are just more of the graphics and such... but doesn't have a soul (with, of course, the exemption of some of the great games of today)

True that we have our own taste and preferences.

for example. me; I have yet to find a game (rts/gps) that lets me create my own nation, customize it to however I please, with customized religion(?), managing both the military and economic growth, and somehow if possible, its a 4X

Note: it must not be a turn based strategy game

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

Personally, I think the games of today are just more of the graphics and such... but doesn't have a soul (with, of course, the exemption of some of the great games of today)

True that we have our own taste and preferences.
for example. me; I have yet to find a game (rts/gps) that lets me create my own nation, customize it to however I please, with customized religion(?), managing both the military and economic growth, and somehow if possible, its a 4X
Note: it must not be a turn based strategy game

You can do that in Paradox games with mods. They make all of their data files easily accessible and notepad friendly for a reason.

Hippie Warrior

Niels

Niels

Tempered IRON

• BR|Member
  • 1,810 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:520160

Can we consider Roller Coaster Tycoon to be an RTS game (in the original, you weren't allowed to construct anything while paused, so all actions needed to be done as the clock was ticking)?  If so, it was my favorite way back in the day.

Age of Empires II was a loved title as well.  It was nice that it was resurrected for modern computers recently, though I've unfortunately lost all my muscle memory needed to play well.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DarkFox

DarkFox

Minister of Defense

• Minister of Defence
  • 2,315 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:215271
  • Souls Baptized:7

I think its not so much dying out but more of a lack of quality ones being made. A lot of people havent moved away from competitive AoE2 scene. SC2 is not as good as SC1. AoE is gone. C&C hasnt had a new game in ages, and the most recent chance for a new one was canceled. RTS is just having a lull period while game developers figure out how to make great games again.

DarkFox, Since joining IRON you have been a great asset in our Military. You exemplify the IRON Values in support of IRON. Your hard work and dedication is not unnoticed.

DarkFox has been baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

I think its not so much dying out but more of a lack of quality ones being made. A lot of people havent moved away from competitive AoE2 scene. SC2 is not as good as SC1. AoE is gone. C&C hasnt had a new game in ages, and the most recent chance for a new one was canceled. RTS is just having a lull period while game developers figure out how to make great games again.

You can count C&C as gone too I think...

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595

Can we consider Roller Coaster Tycoon to be an RTS game (in the original, you weren't allowed to construct anything while paused, so all actions needed to be done as the clock was ticking)?  If so, it was my favorite way back in the day.

Age of Empires II was a loved title as well.  It was nice that it was resurrected for modern computers recently, though I've unfortunately lost all my muscle memory needed to play well.

I would not call Roller Coaster Tycoon a RTS. I'd personally call it Economy strategy. Witch isn't bad, I enjoyed RCT growing up. I'd personally love a new one, that had a muitiplayer Feature, and you could visit other peoples parks, and compete in how much money, how many guests, and compete for guests and money. I wouldn't also mind if they re-made Jurassic Park, Operation Genesis. For a PS2 game, it was amazing and ahead of its time. I'd be willing to drop the cash for that in an Instant to create my own Jurassic Park again. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users