Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Florida Shooting

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782
  • Squadron:Kilo
In switzerland, it is part of the history that all citizents are soliders able to defend the country, today, after having a military service, they have duty to be able for mobilisation, from 18 years old to max 50 years old. All males are concerned. And they have to keep their personal material at home to keep it in order. It contains guns. So theorically, there schould be arround a gun per home in switzerland.

This is true... it comes with neutrality, and being surrounded by countries that have a history of war. I have heard a similar policy exists in Israel. They too are surrounded with hostility. An armed population is not a strange phenomenon. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Alf Red

Alf Red

Forged

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 62 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610948
  • Souls Baptized:160
  • Squadron:Alpha
  • Discord ID:Alf Red

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)

that was a pleasure !  :D 

I'm a french trying to be expert in the speaking of french. Languages configure minds. I stopped german the day a teacher said me "you're too french in your phrases, they have no sense in german !" after 6 years.
I consider my chance to be here with native english, so tell me if i'm getting weird in my phrasal construction or if I make any mistakes. I really want to improve ! (even in this signature)

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

We shouldn't raise the age to own a gun. At 18 you should have the right to make all your own adult decisions. Including buying a gun, voting, screwing whoever you want and even drinking. The 21 year age limit for owning a handgun I suppose I can agree with.

Now this just screams inconsistancy, what was even the reasoning to make handguns 21?

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

SeaBeeGipson

SeaBeeGipson

Retired

• Dishonoured - TRAITOR
  • 2,610 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:552359
  • Souls Baptized:Seven

We shouldn't raise the age to own a gun. At 18 you should have the right to make all your own adult decisions. Including buying a gun, voting, screwing whoever you want and even drinking. The 21 year age limit for owning a handgun I suppose I can agree with.

Now this just screams inconsistancy, what was even the reasoning to make handguns 21?

Handguns are easily more concealed. I know in order to conceal carry in Texas, you need a CCL. That involves classes on the laws, target shooting, and a license fee. The laws, to my knowledge, actually do not ban 18-20 year olds from having handguns, but banning them from buying from federally licensed dealers. They can still get it as a gift from their parents, or buy it from a private seller. If you're in the military, you can actually buy from a federal dealer and get a CCL under 21 as well here in Texas. The reasoning for the age differences though, honestly. I have no clue.. I want to believe it has to do with the concealing factor.

Formerly King Hitler of Deutsche.
IRON Diplomacy: Being Nice to Alliances we're about to roll since 2007.
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility and headaches.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Click to Add Me on FaceBook
Message Me to Apply for Diplomat Corps!
Ultimate Guide to CyberNations
Model Nations
Join Discord Here: Click ME!!

Get your Discord Member Mask Here!
Hit me up on RuneScape like it is 2008
Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Alf Red

Alf Red

Forged

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 62 posts
  • Resources:

Could it come from Civil War, as states who suffered or feared the most the war, have set their age limit on 18 instead of 21 ?

Maybe states with lower or upper age had an election with a senator proposing to increase/decrease the minimal age to buy, in order to guarantee a majority ?

a story like : a state sets its age to vote on 18 (getting more electors), then a senator get 18+ votes proposing them to access to "federal dealer" or something like that ?

I'm a french trying to be expert in the speaking of french. Languages configure minds. I stopped german the day a teacher said me "you're too french in your phrases, they have no sense in german !" after 6 years.
I consider my chance to be here with native english, so tell me if i'm getting weird in my phrasal construction or if I make any mistakes. I really want to improve ! (even in this signature)

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811
If you go back far enough in US history, most state gun control laws all had to do with restricting the ability for immigrants and freed former slaves to own firearms. So that is where conditions like age, fees, and licensing came into existence.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507

If you go back far enough in US history, most state gun control laws all had to do with restricting the ability for immigrants and freed former slaves to own firearms. So that is where conditions like age, fees, and licensing came into existence.

No a lot of the current law in the USA is patterned around Regan era laws, or is outright from that period. 

Which you know, very similar desire as the post civil war stuff, but occurred rather more recently.

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:

Buying a gun and possessing a gun are two different things. This is the main reason an age restriction on purchasing a gun will not stop mass shootings. Mass shootings are planned out months in advance. The number of people killed with semi-automatic rifles is a fraction of those killed by handguns. There is an age restriction and a waiting period for handguns to curb the impulse murder... to make it harder to get their hands on a gun when someone is mad enough at people to kill. The logic is, several days later, cooler minds prevail. But gun stores and gun shows are not the fastest way to get a gun. My father had 30+ on display... if I wanted to kill, I would have had no problem getting the guns to do so. So yes... it's the brain of the person, not the tool.

Banning a person over 18 (majority age) from "possessing" a firearm, would be unconstitutional. It may be any age... I don't know... the Constitution is very powerful. There is an age restriction of 21 to buy alcohol... but there is no such thing as a constitutional right to buy booze, and it hasn't stopped kids from drinking.

We hear constantly about the number of people killed by guns, but we hear nothing about the number killed with good reason. I would include suicide as good reason... a suicide would cause grief on family and friends, but if someone wants to die, and uses a gun to commit suicide, that should be listed as the proper use of a gun. I would like to see the breakdown of proper use verses innocent victims. That might change the way people see this issue... and if anyone believes there is no good reason to kill with a gun, well you're not living in the realm of reality.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Alf Red

Alf Red

Forged

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 62 posts
  • Resources:

I feel concerned by the current conversation as it start to going round (I feel) you talk about age limit from the first page.

Many things have been said. I think you are trying to convince one-another. Well... it doesn't seem to work, then have a poll, vote for IRON's position about minimum age required to purchase weapons ! ^^

Or I may try to show why you doesn't succed to convice one-another ?   With math !

"During the 2013–14 school year, colleges and universities are expected  to award

943,000 associate’s degrees;

1.8 million bachelor's degrees; 

778,000 master'sdegrees;

177,000 doctor's degrees"

total : 3,7 million person each years.

4 killing spree a year (according to a post here)

So : there ar less than 00.00 % of people causing a killing spree as teenage or young adult.

I would say that a probability of 00.00001% (precisely) isn't a porbability that can count as a cause.

the problem isn't age.

As far as killing spree doesn't happen at office (as far as I know), It might be due to certain conditions directed linked to spécific persons in their environment.

conditions that would have more than 00.00% chances to be the issue.

Like treatment of other students, family environment, or other stuffs.  There are enough case to have good statistics.

Unfortunately everything has ended when we know we should have studied the case : so no mors statistics. (or complete ones)

And !  If  any cause or a spécific profile would have been found with those statistics, they would certainly concern private life or things that wouldn't be lawable (does that word exist ?) without higly restraining freedom or private life !

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

They account for the vast majority of murders because you can easily hide them. Rifles are good enough until people have become more mature as adults. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:

Bill Maher and I have different views on many issues, but once in a while he surprises me. This is kind of off topic, but related... and this happens to be the thread getting the attention lately, so I'll place it here. Bill and I sometimes agree on things... rare, but it happens.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:

They account for the vast majority of murders because you can easily hide them. Rifles are good enough until people have become more mature as adults. 

I didn't say I couldn't understand the reasoning, I said it is inconsistant with this "2nd means guns for all (who want)" attitude of the US.

Bill Mahr and I have different views on many issues, but once in a while he surprises me. This is kind of off topic, but related... and this happens to be the thread getting the attention lately, so I'll place it here. Bill and I sometimes agree on things... rare, but it happens.

You will find nearly everyone agreeing on this, but also nearly everyone likes a juicy story or a small rant of their own. It is best to keep a clear line between news and everything else. Heck one of the examples (Red Sparrow pic) got put in our national broadcasters newssite "and alse this" section, meant for obvious lighter/non-news content, plus it only got attention cause there is a belgian in the picture :D.

as for his "trolls go apeshit", someone should explain to him what "trolls" are :D

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976
He is right though, Buzzfeed, HuffPo and Salon really are complete clickbait trash. At least Buzzfeed is having financial troubles last I heard, so here’s hoping it goes down the toilet soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507

He is right though, Buzzfeed, HuffPo and Salon really are complete clickbait trash. At least Buzzfeed is having financial troubles last I heard, so here’s hoping it goes down the toilet soon.

Buzzfeed,

Surprisingly. no. Buzzfeed gets a ton of its funding from clickbaity silliness, but it's one of the few places that do actual for real investigative journalism.  After The Wall Street Journal and a few other papers took the weed whacker to their investigative teams, buzzfeed turned around and hired a bunch of them. 

So they've put out

really

really

really

high quality work. They swung a pulitzer citation last year and only lost out because it was for international reporting and the NYT kicked the shit out of everything last year. They ouytihy have multiple  Pulitzer prize winners on staff. 

The clickbaity derp and lifestyle stuff is buzzfeed's solution to the funding problem facing journalism. Even if you don't like it, it is a hell of a lot better than some of the other "solutions" we've seen. And whatever else can be said about buzzfeed, it's been pretty good at keeping a bright line between the clickbait fluff and the real work, rather than trying to disguise the fluff as real work .

Personally I'll take 100 articles about "You won't believe how cute these smol bunnies are!" or whatever if it funds real journalism.  Sure as hell beats anything  Bill Maher has done, let alone of the trash rags like the sun/the independent/NY post etc. 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:

To ba fair, I don't think Maher claims he does journalism, he is a commentator. The big issue is the people tiptoeing the line between journalism and commentating. (ignoring the blatant hacks who should be clear to anyone with half a brain that they are commentators with very select "reporting")

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:

To ba fair, I don't think Maher claims he does journalism, he is a commentator. The big issue is the people tiptoeing the line between journalism and commentating. (ignoring the blatant hacks who should be clear to anyone with half a brain that they are commentators with very select "reporting")

Bill Maher is a comedian... he uses his political views for the basis of his entertainment. He had a similar show called "Politically Incorrect" in the late 90's, early 2000's, that was cancelled after he claimed the 9-11 terrorists were not cowards, that they were actually very brave to fly planes into buildings. A lot of people were very angry with him about that... thought he was glamorizing their actions.

He is a Progressive to his core.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lorikz Kain

Lorikz Kain

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,105 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:339638
  • Souls Baptized:4,484,630

As a gun owning American in the army reserves I can tell you that there are fuckers in the military (some soft MOS's mind you) that I don't even trust with weapons :/

I'm all for responsible gun ownership but there are multiple laws I would vote to change. Namely requiring some base level safety course and a digitally maintained and searchable database of firearm sales...

on a side note I'm really looking forward to my suppressor for my mcx virtus in .300 blackout :D

"Sir, we are surrounded!"
"Excellent! That means we can attack in any direction!"

Former: Councilor, Secretary of State, Academy Headmaster, BoI Editor In Chief, Postmaster General,

Diplomacy Director, Diplomat, Express Delivery Staff, RADAR (SWAG), Mentor, Recruiter,

Echo CO, Echo XO, Delta XO, Alpha MS, Mentor Staff, Academy Staff, Vault (Mattech)

(TLDR: No Longer Relevant)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

So I was just looking through the news...

xjRpv1o.gif

And saw that Florida just raised the age limit to purchase firearms....

giphy.gif

And Trump supports this. This is unacceptable. We cannot allow this unconstitutional idiocy to keep spreading. To the guillotine with these criminal politicians!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811
A couple lawsuits have already been filed on the grounds it is Unconstitutional. Honestly I have no clue which way the courts will side on it. I can bet that the ATF has already said, go ahead and deny a sale to whoever you want for whatever reason you want. That the individual FFL is given immense discretion and can have whatever policies they want. But it could be possible this gets over turned in a Federal Court. If it goes to the Supreme Court the 21 age limit might very well stay. We have to remember that Justice Roberts is a bit of a wild card and could side with the liberal Judges on this one.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:

And saw that Florida just raised the age limit to purchase firearms....

And Trump supports this. This is unacceptable. We cannot allow this unconstitutional idiocy to keep spreading. To the guillotine with these criminal politicians!

That is why I said this:

That and Trump has always been a wildcard, heck he swayed so much on this one topic already he puts palmtree's to shame...

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users