Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help me build my PC

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Samus

Samus

The Convict

• Samus Mask
  • 14,677 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:254470
  • My Aid Data:254470
  • Souls Baptized:2,311,441
  • Squadron:Kilo

You can get 2 x 480gb SSD cards cheaper than 1x1tb... probably about a tenner cheaper to only lose 40gb.

Don't forget to check out ebay / gumtree / craigslist / facebook marketplace (etc) as you can often find some great deals especially on components.

My understanding from what you were saying is you don't want the computer for gaming, more for processing the live stream from your PS4? What sort of specs do you actually need for that?

yeah primarily it's not for gaming, but there's a possibility I may transition into PC gaming in the future, so would want a kinda stepping stone for future. And i'm not sure, i'm assuming it's just CPU?

254470-ng.png

samus1.png
Root Admin
Ex-Kilo CO, Ex-Bounty Director, Ex-Mentor, Ex-Admissions Admin Ex-Deputy Headmaster of Academy, Ex-Recruitment Staff, Ex-SWAG Personell, Ex-Academy Staff, Ex-Trade Post Director, Ex-Deputy Trade Post Director, Ex- Foxtrot Master Sergeant, Ex-Award Panel Deputy Director, Ex-Award Panel Staff, Ex-Trade Post Staff, Ex- Delta Executive Officer, Ex-Express Delivery

00:48 Fernando[IRON] � I will refer to you as Supreme Overlord Guru Samus

Only I have the baptismal power.

Samus because of your dedicated service to IRON; your high casualty count and aid given your fellow IRONers. I hear by baptize ye in Fire and blood. You rise as IRON!

You may now wear proudly in your Sig "I have been Baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON."

18:28 %FinsterBaby[IRON] • I'm only afraid of Master Samus.
18:28 %FinsterBaby[IRON] • All powerful root admin
18:29 @onbekende • wussie
18:29 %FinsterBaby[IRON] • he can make you disappear. I've seen it

MVP(Mod’s Choice)= Master Samus; I think Master Samus played amazingly for a guy who claims it was his second only mafia game. He never led the town on him and that’s why he deserves this award. He was impressive in manipulating the town that led to the ultimate mafia victory.

Player of Mafia; Master Samus/emudevelopment (shared); I think both were instrumental in the town’s defeat. Both were manipulative and deceptive. They clearly came out as pro-town and looked like de-facto town leaders. They led the lynch wagon w/o anyone uncovering their true motives.

Samus, you should be proud that you've helped make an environment where people feel safe enough to share their experiences.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507
  • Squadron:Alpha

As said, for streaming it's CPU "heavy" work, however on the scale of things encoding video for streaming is still pretty light (your not exactly taking 8k video off a red camera and doing any real processing to it). A decent i3 or some of AMDs APUs would be more than enough, while anything better than that would be future proof for quite some time. What your looking at is hilariously overkill for just streaming 

I'd honestly not recommend bothering with large SSDs at all. If you want, you can skip ti entirely. They're a fantastic quality of life improvement (PC boots much quicker, programs launch faster etc), but realistically they don't do a whole lot for game performance and will do nothing for streaming. Also games don't universally benefit from an SSD. Some games preload a lot of their assets into memory, which means the SSD has almost no impact. For other games load times have to do with scripts etc that need to execute, and so the storage device will only shave a little off. About the only place where the SSD might have an impact is in open world games with really quick movement. And even then you'd be lucky to see a difference of 1 frame per second. 

My prefered set up is a smaller SSD, 250 or 500 gigs, and then a larger HDD for bulk storage (any music, videos, pictures, whatever you have don't need to be on an SSD).  Doing a quick looksie, you can probably get a 500 gb SSD and a 1tb HDD for a bit less than that 1tb SSD  you've picked out. a 500 gb SSD and a 2tb HDD will be about the same price. a 250 gb SSD and a 4tb HDD will only be a little more expensive, although a 250 gb  C drive  will mean you need to be proactive about moving stuff over to the HDD.

Or you could just drop the SSD entirely grab a 2TB HDD,  and cut the cost of that down by half. It is just a QoL upgrade as opposed to a performance upgrade 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Samus

Samus

The Convict

• Samus Mask
  • 14,677 posts
  • Resources:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've literally just ordered everything, all came up to about £900~

But here's the main parts:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/MikeyBeLike/saved/jV6w6h

Got this GPU: https://www.ebuyer.com/787051-sapphire-amd-radeon-rx-580-4gb-pulse-graphics-card-11265-09-20g

This USB for windows OS: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DQG9OZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All ordered through amazon prime, so should be getting the parts in a few days, so if i've made any mistakes, let me know and i'll get it returned asap.

Is there anything else I need?

Really looking forward to putting everything together

254470-ng.png

samus1.png
Root Admin
Ex-Kilo CO, Ex-Bounty Director, Ex-Mentor, Ex-Admissions Admin Ex-Deputy Headmaster of Academy, Ex-Recruitment Staff, Ex-SWAG Personell, Ex-Academy Staff, Ex-Trade Post Director, Ex-Deputy Trade Post Director, Ex- Foxtrot Master Sergeant, Ex-Award Panel Deputy Director, Ex-Award Panel Staff, Ex-Trade Post Staff, Ex- Delta Executive Officer, Ex-Express Delivery

Samus because of your dedicated service to IRON; your high casualty count and aid given your fellow IRONers. I hear by baptize ye in Fire and blood. You rise as IRON!

You may now wear proudly in your Sig "I have been Baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON."

MVP(Mod’s Choice)= Master Samus; I think Master Samus played amazingly for a guy who claims it was his second only mafia game. He never led the town on him and that’s why he deserves this award. He was impressive in manipulating the town that led to the ultimate mafia victory.

Player of Mafia; Master Samus/emudevelopment (shared); I think both were instrumental in the town’s defeat. Both were manipulative and deceptive. They clearly came out as pro-town and looked like de-facto town leaders. They led the lynch wagon w/o anyone uncovering their true motives.

Samus, you should be proud that you've helped make an environment where people feel safe enough to share their experiences.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

joe44

joe44

IRON's High Priest

• BR|Member
  • 2,080 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:568614
  • Souls Baptized:9,297,525
  • Squadron:Foxtrot

maybe a webcam for picture in picture?

568614-iron.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Samus

Samus

The Convict

• Samus Mask
  • 14,677 posts
  • Resources:

maybe a webcam for picture in picture?

i got this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Stream-Streaming-3-month-License/dp/B006A2Q81M/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1544552484&sr=1-3&keywords=Logitech%2Bc920&th=1

254470-ng.png

samus1.png
Root Admin

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• Military - Radar Leadership
  • 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:156811

That part list should serve you well for what you are looking for, Samus.

The Cooler you purchased contains some free Thermal Paste to attach the Cooler to the CPU. Stock paste is fine so you don't have to buy aftermarket.

I recommend watching a youtube video on how to properly apply thermal paste so that it done evenly. It doesn't have to be perfect but you don't want large globs. I personally went with the Spread Method to better insure even distribution.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Recruits: 7 Alliances Fought: LSF, Sparta, VE, Umbrella, DBDC, STA

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

cup holder? :D

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lorikz Kain

Lorikz Kain

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,105 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:339638
  • Souls Baptized:4,484,630

I recommend running a smaller SSD just for booting and not really anything else, then get a couple cheaper HDDs and run a simple software raid for storage/games. Cheaper and will get faster read-write than an SSD.

If you are going to be doing heavy re-writing to your drives then I wouldn't recommend an SSD. SSDs are great for holding storage to be read fast but if you want to be writing to drives frequently with consistent long term performance then use an HDD. Heavy constant re-writing to an SSD will exhaust the memory cells.

If you are set on getting a SSD then get a newer model with large storage space. Their writing algorithms help prevent uneven wear on the memory cells and larger drives with more cells help distribute the wear over more cells allowing for greater lifespan.

"Sir, we are surrounded!"
"Excellent! That means we can attack in any direction!"

Former: Councilor, Secretary of State, Academy Headmaster, BoI Editor In Chief, Postmaster General,

Diplomacy Director, Diplomat, Express Delivery Staff, RADAR (SWAG), Mentor, Recruiter,

Echo CO, Echo XO, Delta XO, Alpha MS, Mentor Staff, Academy Staff, Vault (Mattech)

(TLDR: No Longer Relevant)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

I recommend running a smaller SSD just for booting and not really anything else, then get a couple cheaper HDDs and run a simple software raid for storage/games. Cheaper and will get faster read-write than an SSD.

If you are going to be doing heavy re-writing to your drives then I wouldn't recommend an SSD. SSDs are great for holding storage to be read fast but if you want to be writing to drives frequently with consistent long term performance then use an HDD. Heavy constant re-writing to an SSD will exhaust the memory cells.

If you are set on getting a SSD then get a newer model with large storage space. Their writing algorithms help prevent uneven wear on the memory cells and larger drives with more cells help distribute the wear over more cells allowing for greater lifespan.

Modern SSD write speed will dramatically outperform anything but the most overkill of raid arrays. For random read write on a HDD raid array, to match you'd need something severa drives in RAID 0 which oh god no.  It would also cost you vastly more to set up. RAID, while once the hottest shit for gaming is much less of a performance boost day. With RAM being so much more plentiful and DDR3 (let alone DDR4) having much higher speeds, most games just proactively load anything they think they might need into memory anyways well before it's actually needed. even the most stupidly overkill RAID 0 array would only be able to eek out one or two more FPS vs a single HDD. 

About the only reason to run RAID today is for redundancy and even that that's questionable. Bulk storage is cheap and for a home user it's much less hassle to simply keep an incremental backup than deal with the headaches that come with RAID. Plus the redundancy of RAID is somewhat of a lie anyways, since it distributes the wear equally across drives, they have an unfortunate tendency of failing close together. I've seen more than one attempt to recover a RAID setup from a drive failure collapse because the extra wear on the remaining drives caused some of them to fail. Unless you've got the kind of network infrastructure you have an actual IT team to manage, RAID of any level is probably not needed. 

Kingston rates the drive samus picked for 80TB of rewrites. Manufacturers tend to be conservative with their  TBW, and that will been when performance degradation becomes noticeable, not when the drive becomes degraded to the point of it being an issue. Samus could write 50gb to the drive a day and it would fine for several years. At a still absurd 25gb a day and it would last close to 9 years, which is well past the point you should plan on an HDD lasting. I wouldn't recommend it for any task that involved constant writes to it long term, but for day to day use it's more than sufficient. 

While a larger ssd is nice, the number of applications that actually require both the hard drive space and the write speed are minimal. 240gb is a bit small personally, but that's just because i'm a lazy bastard who hates to clean up his files, not because it's that much of an issue. With windows and etc that's still the best part of 200gb of "living room" for day to day use, which is more than enough. Samus will just need to be a bit proactive about deleting junk or moving it to the HDD. Not a big deal. 

By switching to the smaller SSD+HDD combo samus managed to save himself what looks like 60 quid. He could proceed to go stuff that under his mattress, and by time the TBW for the SSD becomes an issue, buy himself a new and probably much larger SSD with the money. And i mean, if you want to do RAID, for that 60 plus another maybe 20 or so he could go buy himself a second one of those SSDs and decent external drive, configure the two SSDS into RAID 0 for pure lulz and stupidity. and then just have the external HDD store incremental image copies off the SSD. That'll even extend the life of  the SSDs. HDDS fail mechanical wear and tear, while SSDs fail because of finite writes. so RAID 0 Spreading the wear evenly is actually beneficial to them.  

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lorikz Kain

Lorikz Kain

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,105 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:339638
  • Souls Baptized:4,484,630

Every SSD I ever used has bottlenecked when writing to it. I don't have that issue with raided HDD. For my uses, I get the best performance from my setup and that is proven through actual application. That being said it isn't a one size fits all so what works best for me is simply what's best for me.

"Sir, we are surrounded!"
"Excellent! That means we can attack in any direction!"

Former: Councilor, Secretary of State, Academy Headmaster, BoI Editor In Chief, Postmaster General,

Diplomacy Director, Diplomat, Express Delivery Staff, RADAR (SWAG), Mentor, Recruiter,

Echo CO, Echo XO, Delta XO, Alpha MS, Mentor Staff, Academy Staff, Vault (Mattech)

(TLDR: No Longer Relevant)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Samus

Samus

The Convict

• Samus Mask
  • 14,677 posts
  • Resources:

Just to mention, this PC isn't going to be my main. It'll literally just be for streaming.

I have a Macbook PRO which is basically my day to day computer cause it's just easier for my job compared to a windows. So i'm literally only going to be streaming for now through this new pc and maybe saving all my content to the hdd.

I see people using some wrist strap for "grounding" theirselves against electricity or some shit. I don't get what it's benefits are and if I really need one for building a PC. Would you guys recommend to get that stuff?

254470-ng.png

samus1.png
Root Admin

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

You don't really need the strap. I've never bothered, I work with electrosensitive components on a pretty frequent basis. All you've got to do is ground yourself before hand, and  not that hard to just touch the ground terminal on the oscilloscope before fucking with components.

In your case just go touch a faucet or a metal bit on a lamp or something. Just do you work off of carpet on a non conductive surface  (so like a wood table) and without wearing a wool jumper or something so you're not building up a static charge while you work. Try to grab parts by things like the heatsinks when moving them around as much as possible. A block of metal will care a lot less about a static shock than the  components on the PCB.

If you want to be really paranoid/fancy, stick the power supply on your workbench, plug it into an outlet but keep it turned off while you work. Then just tap it every few minutes. This also gives you an easy to access place to ground yourself if you end up moving around which is a bit more convenient than remembering to tap a lamp again before sitting down. 

That said, while not needed, it does still reduce the risk of damage due to ESD, since (provided the other end is properly grounded), you no longer need to think about it. So if you're looking at 900 GBP components and feeling nervous, yea go for it. They should cost you like 5 quid? If you do grab one, do the thing with the power supply, and then just clip the non wrist strap end to it. 

If you want an anti static platform to breadboard on, get one if you want, but your motherboard box works pretty good too. .

Every SSD I ever used has bottlenecked when writing to it. I don't have that issue with raided HDD. For my uses, I get the best performance from my setup and that is proven through actual application. That being said it isn't a one size fits all so what works best for me is simply what's best for me.

Write time is not really all that important, nor really is read time. Access time is the point of an SSD, which is why ti causes such dramatic improvements.

If you're getting notable better performance out of a raid array vs and SSD, your running on a system without adequate memory, using a program that makes terrible use of available memory, or have a fairly niche application  where you're frequently reading from and writing to many large files. For the home user you're better off installing more RAM into your system, for the cost of a decent RAID 0 setup you can stuff 20 to 30 gigs of DDR4.

Infact with modern HDDs RAID  doesn't even provide that big a performance boost (Per dollar) over single HDDs anymore. Larger single drives have *way* better data density and the OS is better able to set the system up for sequential read/writes. two 7200RPM 500Gb HDDS in raid 0 will only provide a moderate speed improvement over a single  5200 RPM 4TB HDD, but it'll cost about same amount of money. You need 3 or 4 of them for it to be that big a deal. And once you're up to 3-4 drives in raid 0 your just asking to lose everything, so now you need more HDDs to run an incremental backup and/or you need even more drives to set up a RAID 10 or etc. And at that point you're now up to the cost of a 1Tb to 2Tb SSD. Might as well just got one of those, since they'll be vastly more reliable and have similar write speeds 

And again, this assumes it's even an application where RAID is even useful; Most of where RAID beat out single HDDs in the past was not read/write time but instead  access time, and if that's important SSDs are the clear winners. Games no longer see a noticeable performance improvement in RAID, with the exception of some loading screen times, simply because they've already preloaded the needed assets into RAM. 

For samus's expected uses, there's no justification for the added cost and headache that comes with using RAID. A  modern use case for RAID is something like a video production company that needs a server to handle storage and backup of video files.

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:

Anti static wrist straps aren't really necessary if you take steps that RH outlined. I rarely use one since I'll take precautions before hand.

The idea of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the enemy die for his.

Former Member of the VOC

IRON STATS Wars Fought: 13 POWs Taken: 2 Nations ZIed: 2 Aid Given: $341 Million

Alliance Seniority: 2,595 Days Soldier Casualties: 867,426 Att + 2,123,326 Def = 2,990,752

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Samus

Samus

The Convict

• Samus Mask
  • 14,677 posts
  • Resources:

Do guys assemble everything to the motherboard first and then screw that in or screw in the motherboard first?

254470-ng.png

samus1.png
Root Admin

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

DeathMerchant

DeathMerchant

IRONclad

• 6,498 posts
  • Resources:
I add the CPU to the Motherboard, apply the Thermal Paste, and then attach the CPU Cooler. It's much easier not working in the confines of a Case. Once that is assembled I screw in the Motherboard to the Case, then I insert the RAM, GPU, connect the HDD and begin wiring everything in.

Now depending on the size/layout of your case it might be easiest to do the Power Supply first. But that is entirely up to you.

Former Member of the VOC

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Blade 619

Blade 619

Master of Nukes

• IRON President
  • 7,579 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:040973
  • Souls Baptized:7,122,755
  • Discord ID:Blade
Fun story... have a look at Shadow ... that'll save most of your requirements I suspect too.

40973-detailed.png

Blade 619 you have been baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

I will remember this, Blade, and I will be forever grateful... oh hell words fail me!  ( @ )( @ )

Revenge is best served cold, tasting of vanilla yoghurt with vanilla and chocolate balls.

Leave it to Blade to step in and say the most completely true post in this thread. You make my day Sir.  

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Samus

Samus

The Convict

• Samus Mask
  • 14,677 posts
  • Resources:

Fun story... have a look at Shadow ... that'll save most of your requirements I suspect too.

huh

254470-ng.png

samus1.png
Root Admin

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

joe44

joe44

IRON's High Priest

• BR|Member
  • 2,080 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:568614
  • Souls Baptized:9,297,525
  • Squadron:Foxtrot

@Samus: if y got all parts, send them to me. I will put it together.

568614-iron.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Samus

Samus

The Convict

• Samus Mask
  • 14,677 posts
  • Resources:

I received all my parts today, excited to get home and put this all together :D

@Samus: if y got all parts, send them to me. I will put it together.

uh nuh

254470-ng.png

samus1.png
Root Admin

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

I add the CPU to the Motherboard, apply the Thermal Paste, and then attach the CPU Cooler. It's much easier not working in the confines of a Case. Once that is assembled I screw in the Motherboard to the Case, then I insert the RAM, GPU, connect the HDD and begin wiring everything in.

Now depending on the size/layout of your case it might be easiest to do the Power Supply first. But that is entirely up to you.

Similar. Backplates exist and if you're dealing with that, might as well just install the whole cooler at the same time.  I'll also stick the ram in before putting the thing in the case, but that really doesn't matter that much.  Just habit from ye olde days of breadboarding builds first. 

Having the CPU cooler attached to the motherboard gives you a nice handle to move the mobo around by which goes back the whole "try and touch the big electrical insert block of metal and and not the little itty bitty electrosensitive components" thing. Also just having it as a handle can be useful. 

power supply has its own area in the case covered by a  shroud, so put that in roughly whenever. Looking at your case, point the PSU fan downwards. 

You might want to look up a build guide done in your  case. Not so much for the "how to build" but to get an idea of how to run cables from the PSU. You've got the pretty glass case after all, don't want wires all over.   

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users