Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sleep Paralysis Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

Has anyone ever had this before? It comes in quite a few forms, most seem to be fairly benevolent and just weird, but there are other states where this phenomena is literally a nightmare. Like this:

http://www.wired.com/2009/08/sleep_paralysis/

Apparently this is quite common, but not in my experience. Trying to explain it to people, other seem to end up confused with no idea what I'm talking about. 

I've had this experience twice, both in the same night. During said experience, I never fell asleep. I simply closed my eyes and starting having visions. My body was paralyzed and it felt hard to breath. The visions themselves were extremely vivid and interactive to the point they felt almost undeniably real. 

However, at the same time, I was completely awake and very aware of my surroundings. I could feel my GF's arm touching my own. I could hear her breathing and even the heater running. But my body was paralyzed. I tried screaming, but couldn't so much as open my mouth. I specifically remember trying to focus on listening to my RL surroundings which suddenly felt like my sight in noticability, hoping someone would do something to help me.

Another thing I remember is trying my hardest to move. I was able to ever so slightly move my fingers and barely open my jaw with extreme effort but nothing more. 

Overall, I was stuck, paralyzed while experiencing one of the worst nightmares I've ever had. 

In the nightmare, I was being strangled by a figure-less entity that had no specific form. The visualization of this entity can only be described as darkness. It enveloped me and suddenly it became hard to breath. Eventually my breathing just stopped and I felt like I was going to die.

At the last moment I regained control of my body and came out of it crying. My GF just blew it off as a typical nightmare and went back to sleep. After about 20 minutes, I finally gathered the courage to try to sleep again, and the moment I closed my eyes, I had the exact same experience.

Vision wise, the surrounding setting was different, but the overall theme and experience was the same. 

After finally breaking out of this one, I refused to go back to sleep and stayed awake for 2 days, too terrified to close my eyes. 

This was all over a year ago, and I've never experienced anything like it before or since. 

Has anyone else here experienced this type of thing? I think there is a specific term for it, but I can't remember.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Imran Ehsan

Imran Ehsan

Minister of Internal Affairs

• Council Member
  • 13,148 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:474454
  • Souls Baptized:7,295,300
  • Squadron:Kilo
  • Discord ID:Imran#8180

One of my friends had a similar kind of experience once. He saw some kind of dark figure trying to strangle him...he wasnt frozen in place though, but he was freaked out and he was actually trying to choke his wife (for some reason he thought his wife was the dark figure). We were there fortunately so we put a stop to it.

We were three couples camping out in a really remote area (it was away from locality and in the middle of a jungle) and he had some local weed before going to sleep (which was like 10 times stronger than the weak stuff he was used to) so the combination of the eery surroundings and weed was what caused it.

sooo...if you are on weed..lay off it... :P

Classified Intel on Empire of Imran:

Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Samus

Samus

The Convict

• Samus Mask
  • 14,677 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:254470
  • My Aid Data:254470
  • Souls Baptized:2,311,441

My girlfriends had this a few times, was mainly during university exam periods when she was stressed out. She even described abit of paranormal acitivty and seemed very afraid by it. She's even had it while I was in bed with with her, she couldn't let me know at the specific time cause apparently she couldn't physically move. I've never experienced it though, so can't really comment too much, but it does sound freaky

254470-ng.png

samus1.png
Root Admin
Ex-Kilo CO, Ex-Bounty Director, Ex-Mentor, Ex-Admissions Admin Ex-Deputy Headmaster of Academy, Ex-Recruitment Staff, Ex-SWAG Personell, Ex-Academy Staff, Ex-Trade Post Director, Ex-Deputy Trade Post Director, Ex- Foxtrot Master Sergeant, Ex-Award Panel Deputy Director, Ex-Award Panel Staff, Ex-Trade Post Staff, Ex- Delta Executive Officer, Ex-Express Delivery

00:48 Fernando[IRON] � I will refer to you as Supreme Overlord Guru Samus

Only I have the baptismal power.

Samus because of your dedicated service to IRON; your high casualty count and aid given your fellow IRONers. I hear by baptize ye in Fire and blood. You rise as IRON!

You may now wear proudly in your Sig "I have been Baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON."

18:28 %FinsterBaby[IRON] • I'm only afraid of Master Samus.
18:28 %FinsterBaby[IRON] • All powerful root admin
18:29 @onbekende • wussie
18:29 %FinsterBaby[IRON] • he can make you disappear. I've seen it

MVP(Mod’s Choice)= Master Samus; I think Master Samus played amazingly for a guy who claims it was his second only mafia game. He never led the town on him and that’s why he deserves this award. He was impressive in manipulating the town that led to the ultimate mafia victory.

Player of Mafia; Master Samus/emudevelopment (shared); I think both were instrumental in the town’s defeat. Both were manipulative and deceptive. They clearly came out as pro-town and looked like de-facto town leaders. They led the lynch wagon w/o anyone uncovering their true motives.

Samus, you should be proud that you've helped make an environment where people feel safe enough to share their experiences.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

One of my friends had a similar kind of experience once. He saw some kind of dark figure trying to strangle him...he wasnt frozen in place though, but he was freaked out and he was actually trying to choke his wife (for some reason he thought his wife was the dark figure). We were there fortunately so we put a stop to it.

We were three couples camping out in a really remote area (it was away from locality and in the middle of a jungle) and he had some local weed before going to sleep (which was like 10 times stronger than the weak stuff he was used to) so the combination of the eery surroundings and weed was what caused it.

sooo...if you are on weed..lay off it... :P

Nah. I've been told similar experiences can be caused by irregular sleep cycles. The only thing I can think of is the day before, I wore myself out pretty good swimming in the river. So I was physically exhausted, but completely sober.

My girlfriends had this a few times, was mainly during university exam periods when she was stressed out. She even described abit of paranormal acitivty and seemed very afraid by it. She's even had it while I was in bed with with her, she couldn't let me know at the specific time cause apparently she couldn't physically move. I've never experienced it though, so can't really comment too much, but it does sound freaky

I feel bad for her. It isn't just freaky, it's fucking terrifying. :(

Saw something on TV where some lady was describing something identical. She was using a certain term for it, but I can't remember what it was.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard

Steadfast

• NM|Former Member
  • 4,871 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:449726
  • Souls Baptized:3,970,043

Sleep Paralysis seems to run in my family, my mum and two brothers have had it happen for years. One brother has it more so than the others, never asked him but I reckon he has it about a dozen times each year but it could be less or it could be more than that.

As far as I know none of the rest of my family ever experienced it. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

I had this twice, but I did not experience any visions or nightmares. The only part that happened to me was that I couldn't move any part of my body, including my mouth.

I had read about this phenomenon beforehand, and my immediate thought was "FUCK, IT'S SLEEP PARALYSIS!". Since I consciously recognized what I was dealing with, I tried to actively "snap out of it", like forcibly move my mouth, fingers, arms, etc, and that worked, so it only lasted for 30 seconds or so.

I think it's really important to recognize what you're dealing with to avoid panic. Keeping your cool will get you though it sooner.

Edited by ccabal86, 09 July 2015 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

I had this twice, but I did not experience any visions or nightmares. The only part that happened to me was that I couldn't move any part of my body, including my mouth.

I had read about this phenomenon beforehand, and my immediate thought was "FUCK, IT'S SLEEP PARALYSIS!". Since I consciously recognized what I was dealing with, I tried to actively "snap out of it", like forcibly move my mouth, fingers, arms, etc, and that worked, so it only lasted for 30 seconds or so.

I think it's really important to recognize what you're dealing with to avoid panic. Keeping your cool will get you though it sooner.

Yeah. The experience described in the OP has only happened to me twice and back than I didn't know what it was. But I've had normal sleep paralysis a few times, including just a few nights ago. That's never made me panic (in fact, I kinda find it amusing), as it's fairly easy to force your way out of. But when you're having a nightmare at the same time it feels like your being tortured by something other worldy or something. XP

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

Hey, religion has to get it's material from somwhere, right? Good thing Jesus was there to save you :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:534338
  • Souls Baptized:773,445
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

I've had it twice. First time was a euphoric experience were I was paralyzed in bed but felt something similar to religious experiences I had in childhood (although I was an agnostic adult at the time). It's the main reason I've been interested in DMT experiences since they sound astonishingly similar (minus the hallucinations). Second time I felt a crushing weight on my chest, but didn't really get the feeling of an entity nearby. Of course, I had heard of sleep paralysis by then, so my mind wasn't grasping for explanations. 

My sleeping life has always been rather...exciting. As a kid, I would regularly sleepwalk around the house, disrobe, and watch TV turned to static. I never knew where I would wake up. In college, my roommate said I talked in my sleep, but it was nonsensical.

Hippie Warrior

tumblr_ltn48fQZK51qlktl7o1_500.gif

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

I've had it twice. First time was a euphoric experience were I was paralyzed in bed but felt something similar to religious experiences I had in childhood (although I was an agnostic adult at the time). It's the main reason I've been interested in DMT experiences since they sound astonishingly similar (minus the hallucinations). Second time I felt a crushing weight on my chest, but didn't really get the feeling of an entity nearby. Of course, I had heard of sleep paralysis by then, so my mind wasn't grasping for explanations. 

My sleeping life has always been rather...exciting. As a kid, I would regularly sleepwalk around the house, disrobe, and watch TV turned to static. I never knew where I would wake up. In college, my roommate said I talked in my sleep, but it was nonsensical.

Strong evidence suggests DMT may be present in all living things, with speculation that it plays some role in dreaming. It seems to be produced in the pineal gland of the mammal brain, but it's purpose is unknown. I've always had quite an interest in that myself and wish more was known about it. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

Strong evidence suggests DMT may be present in all living things, with speculation that it plays some role in dreaming. It seems to be produced in the pineal gland of the mammal brain, but it's purpose is unknown. I've always had quite an interest in that myself and wish more was known about it. 

Quite a bit has been discovered in recent years now that the drug wars are trailing off.  There are also ayahuasca retreats in Peru that I've been curious about, but don't really have time to participate in. They require a lot of commitment and aren't for a simple weekend getaway.

I suspect that a lot of psychics, spiritualists, etc. have an elevated level of DMT in the brain (or at least the ones that aren't outright con artists). Many of the experiences, as described, are also similar to descriptions of Buddhists' astral projections. While I don't hold that this gives those trips special revelations about the real world (since the human brain is quirky), it can illuminate basic schematic assumptions about the world that just aren't true. Most of what society projects as reality is fabricated.

The cultural ideas of wealth, happiness, and drama are built for the good of certain segments of society, not the benefit of the individual or society as a whole. It's why I prefer experiences that build relationships (like writing, martial arts, and dancing) over experiences that build the socially-built ego (like trips around the world or network television). I'll compromise for special relationships (like inefficient hunting with my dad and brother-in-law), but I generally don't spend a lot of resources on those activities.

Hippie Warrior

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

The closest thing to this in my life was in a theatre trying to watch Avatar. Most horrible time of my life... but you may all wish to list the drugs you're taking and see which ones you have in common.

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

Quite a bit has been discovered in recent years now that the drug wars are trailing off.  There are also ayahuasca retreats in Peru that I've been curious about, but don't really have time to participate in. They require a lot of commitment and aren't for a simple weekend getaway.

I suspect that a lot of psychics, spiritualists, etc. have an elevated level of DMT in the brain (or at least the ones that aren't outright con artists). Many of the experiences, as described, are also similar to descriptions of Buddhists' astral projections. While I don't hold that this gives those trips special revelations about the real world (since the human brain is quirky), it can illuminate basic schematic assumptions about the world that just aren't true. Most of what society projects as reality is fabricated.

The cultural ideas of wealth, happiness, and drama are built for the good of certain segments of society, not the benefit of the individual or society as a whole. It's why I prefer experiences that build relationships (like writing, martial arts, and dancing) over experiences that build the socially-built ego (like trips around the world or network television). I'll compromise for special relationships (like inefficient hunting with my dad and brother-in-law), but I generally don't spend a lot of resources on those activities.

Indeed. Psychedelics are quite amazing, but what's even more amazing is that you can give yourself the same type of experience without drugs just by meditation. 

There's a really cool documentary on Netflix called "Neurons to Nirvana" that goes into how psychedelics effect peoples perceptions of the world around them. You actually "experience" more of the information your senses take in on things like MDMA, whereas sober, much of that information is never experienced. So I have to disagree with you. I think psychedelics really can give revelations about the real world. Tripping on 2C-T-2 was my first psychedelic experience, and I have to say, it completely changed my view of the real world. Ego death made me realize that "all is one" and I spent the night having intellectual discussions with my cousin about fractals, consciousness and physics. Which is what I do pretty much every time I take psychedelic. 

Before this experience, my perception of the world was through the lens of ego and I always viewed myself as individually separate from my surroundings. In reality, I'm like a cell of a much larger organ.

The closest thing to this in my life was in a theatre trying to watch Avatar. Most horrible time of my life... but you may all wish to list the drugs you're taking and see which ones you have in common.

You sir, sound like a person in need of some LSD.  :awesome:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

Actually only tried pot once. It made me paranoid. Would not try again. :( Plus that was a couple years after my sleep paralysis experiences so it had nothing to do with them.

Other than that my drugs have been caffeine and alcohol. I'm a raging caffeine addict. I keep caffeine pills for trips away from home, just in case I can't get coffee. Better than going through the detox process. I've never been on psychological pharmaceuticals and manage my imbalances on my own.

Different people have different mind spaces, and I've always been drawn to weird cultural products. Movies like Heavy Metal, shows like Aeon Flux, music like Parliament, and books like Neverwhere. I get vivid experiences from books and creative writing. They also give me more control over my experience than most psychedelics could ever offer. I'm only interested in DMT because it is a natural compound in the human body, seems to have consistently positive results, and does not appear to alter brain function. If you sleep, you have been on DMT. It's also the likely culprit behind near-death experiences.

I understand what you're trying to imply, but it's likely you have less DMT or some other neurotransmitter than I do. Not a bad thing. Just don't automatically dismiss a strange experience because you didn't have it. We all are operating within the limitations of our wetware. Mine gives me the ability to save up more money than more physically-oriented people. Why spend a lot of money when my mind space has a better experience to offer? Because some suit is trying to sell me something?

Hippie Warrior

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

Indeed. Psychedelics are quite amazing, but what's even more amazing is that you can give yourself the same type of experience without drugs just by meditation. 

I've felt the same experiences on my own without meditation. I can spend four to five hours just sitting in place looking at nothing, not counting the six hours a day I can spend looking at a blank computer screen and writing. However, this is more a quirk of neurobiology, rather than any spiritual significance.

The mind is built to simulate real-life situations for planning and abstracting physical processes. Professionals like engineers use it to test their designs, while athletes like football players use it to memorize plays. Some are just better at controlling this capability, while others require triggers for it to work.

It helps if you can use this ability for your own benefit, but that usually requires training, which requires effort which is something the subconscious is built to avoid. People underestimate the creativity required for "dry" subjects like accounting and coding, in my opinion, while they overestimate the creativity in Hollywood movies. We're built to be drawn to those narratives, and it just takes time and sensitivity to edit them enough for sale. Understanding why a line of programming is important for you takes real discipline and brainpower.

Hippie Warrior

Shahenshah

Shahenshah

Minister of the Dark Arts

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 9,117 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:162944
  • Souls Baptized:1,876,873

I've had it twice when I was a kid, not sure if it's the same thing. I was having a dream (zombies), I felt I was being strangled, I suddenly wake up...then I feel that i'm just up mentally, but my body would just not respond, I could not move, I'm trying to move, I just cant..it's like software-hardware disconnect or something. 

Had absolutely nothing to do with any drugs, A mix of my love for zombie movies and bad sleeping habits is my guess.

Edited by Shahenshah, 09 July 2015 - 05:52 PM.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Danvey

Danvey

Blade's Biatch.

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 1,484 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:554315
  • Souls Baptized:10,496
  • Squadron:Delta

I had it once, about 1.5 years ago. Was just waking up, still half asleep and sorta dreaming. Suddenly (in my dream), something that felt evil appeared in the corner of my vision and I was just frozen. I'm religious, (but not a God Botherer), and my brain ended up reciting the Lords Prayer until I woke up/it went away - no idea how long it took. 

Rational part of my brain tells me that I was just trying to explain a natural phenomenon with an image of the Devil :P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

[22:20:55] Deus Tonitrus: i got handcuffed today
[22:21:09] onbekende: wrong fetish room?

The young nations, they are THE future of IRON. And God knows they're very hard ****ing nuts to crack.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595
I have to go back to work but I know people this has happened to and I had nightmares like this and after I've woken up. I know it is more common then what we know. Ussally this happens between 2:00 and 6:00 in the morning also. I highly doubt a doc can actually explain it. It's a terrifying exp. Sucky part of this it also ussally happens when people can be depressed. I honestly can say it was the most terrifying thing I've experience.

Fox fire. Message me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

I have to go back to work but I know people this has happened to and I had nightmares like this and after I've woken up. I know it is more common then what we know. Ussally this happens between 2:00 and 6:00 in the morning also. I highly doubt a doc can actually explain it. It's a terrifying exp. Sucky part of this it also ussally happens when people can be depressed. I honestly can say it was the most terrifying thing I've experience.

Fox fire. Message me.

Doctors can't explain it. Dreams themselves are still a widely unexplained phenomena, so experiences like this are even more mysterious. 

Send me a PM. I'll reply tomorrow. Going to bed ATM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard

Steadfast

• NM|Former Member
  • 4,871 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:449726
  • Souls Baptized:3,970,043

I didn't realize it randomly targets people so much, though I doubt I will ever experience it which is lucky since if I did would probably be a regular thing as well. 

But I doubt it is that big of a deal since people experience it regularly unlike those who experience it once or twice and think it is something extraordinary.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users