Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sleep Paralysis Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:534338
  • Souls Baptized:773,445
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

I didn't realize it randomly targets people so much, though I doubt I will ever experience it which is lucky since if I did would probably be a regular thing as well. 
But I doubt it is that big of a deal since people experience it regularly unlike those who experience it once or twice and think it is something extraordinary.

I don't think it's extraordinary. Just a byproduct of going into a coma regularly. Even the best built computer suffers freezes and restarts.
People just cling to the idea that their own brain is perfect in every way, so they scramble for explanations when it lets them down.

I also don't think it's a sign of mental illness, but I'm not a psychologist. I've never seen anything to indicate that it's more than a quirk of biology.

Hippie Warrior

tumblr_ltn48fQZK51qlktl7o1_500.gif

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Robert2424

Robert2424

Minister of Defense (P&W)

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:538459
  • Souls Baptized:4,412,595
  • Squadron:Kilo
Honestly. I think personally there is allot more to this. But I imagine I'm in the minority with my theory.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Doom War Damage Rank) 35: Robert2424 - 21 - 67,720.61 - 28,156.05 - 96,651.47

Posted Image

Robert2424 has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

Honestly. I think personally there is allot more to this. But I imagine I'm in the minority with my theory.

Something religious or spiritual? That was my first impression when I experienced this, TBH.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:

pretty much. I'm leaning towards these being Demonic attacks more. Some people don't believe in that stuff, but I believe and believe Demons have attacked people like this. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

pretty much. I'm leaning towards these being Demonic attacks more. Some people don't believe in that stuff, but I believe and believe Demons have attacked people like this. 

Being raised Christian and knowing nothing about sleep paralysis, those were mt first thoughts exactly. And that was even after I stopped being Christian.

Though even being Taoist, I'm no atheist. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

I have to go back to work but I know people this has happened to and I had nightmares like this and after I've woken up. I know it is more common then what we know. Ussally this happens between 2:00 and 6:00 in the morning also. I highly doubt a doc can actually explain it. It's a terrifying exp. Sucky part of this it also ussally happens when people can be depressed. I honestly can say it was the most terrifying thing I've experience.

Fox fire. Message me.

Doctors can't explain it. Dreams themselves are still a widely unexplained phenomena, so experiences like this are even more mysterious. 

As I understand it, the body has to release a specific neurotransmitter to paralyze the conscious connections between mind & body. When this neurotransmitter doesn't do its job or does it too well, for various reasons, you get sleep paralysis, sleepwalking, etc.

On the subject of dreams themselves, they serve as safe simulations of everyday fears or situations. A lot of nightmares have to do with humiliation/failure (nudity in a public space or a test you haven't studied for). Others help you solve problems by doing a deep simulation of the real world without distractions. This is why many artists, inventors, scientists, etc. come up with ideas in dreams. It also explains why sleep is essential to the learning process. You need those dreams to rerun what you learned during the day, otherwise those connections might get lost.

The rest of sleep is merely a debugging process to ensure the brain functions properly and has been cleared of excess neurotransmitters. Without it, you hallucinate, get cranky, and eventually just get so overwhelmed with neuronal errors that you can't even perform basic bodily functions properly.

Hippie Warrior

Doom War Stats: 18 offensive wars, 2 defensive wars, 38742 damage dealt, 27670 damage taken, all with 0 tech

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

I have to go back to work but I know people this has happened to and I had nightmares like this and after I've woken up. I know it is more common then what we know. Ussally this happens between 2:00 and 6:00 in the morning also. I highly doubt a doc can actually explain it. It's a terrifying exp. Sucky part of this it also ussally happens when people can be depressed. I honestly can say it was the most terrifying thing I've experience.

Fox fire. Message me.

Doctors can't explain it. Dreams themselves are still a widely unexplained phenomena, so experiences like this are even more mysterious. 

As I understand it, the body has to release a specific neurotransmitter to paralyze the conscious connections between mind & body. When this neurotransmitter doesn't do its job or does it too well, for various reasons, you get sleep paralysis, sleepwalking, etc.

On the subject of dreams themselves, they serve as safe simulations of everyday fears or situations. A lot of nightmares have to do with humiliation/failure (nudity in a public space or a test you haven't studied for). Others help you solve problems by doing a deep simulation of the real world without distractions. This is why many artists, inventors, scientists, etc. come up with ideas in dreams. It also explains why sleep is essential to the learning process. You need those dreams to rerun what you learned during the day, otherwise those connections might get lost.

The rest of sleep is merely a debugging process to ensure the brain functions properly and has been cleared of excess neurotransmitters. Without it, you hallucinate, get cranky, and eventually just get so overwhelmed with neuronal errors that you can't even perform basic bodily functions properly.

I would personally sum it up as dreams are you experiencing your subconscious mind. 

Hence why dreams can be so ridiculous, yet so realistic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:

true. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Duderonomy

Duderonomy

NG's Best Hippie Warrior

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 984 posts
  • Resources:

Fox fire. Message me.

I would personally sum it up as dreams are you experiencing your subconscious mind. 

Hence why dreams can be so ridiculous, yet so realistic.

True, but I don't fetishize the subconscious. It's important to listen to it and train it, which can be done with meditation, but it's not the "vast ocean" that some thinkers purport it to be. It makes decisions based on prior experiences and often senses patterns in those experiences. This can be a good thing. My family's experience with the oil industry left me feeling insecure in my oil-industry-oriented job, which led me to leave for the civil industry a year-and-a-half ago, before the current slowdown. That was a good outcome from listening to the information my subconscious was trying to tell me (the insecurity).

However, the subconscious can also make erroneous connections, like my often-struggled-with racist tendencies, which are a byproduct of my upbringing and my location. Oh, few are outright racist anymore, but I've heard things and seen behavior that has no other explanation. I do my best to counter them with my conscious will, but ultimately it's been interracial friendships and appreciation of other cultures that have done the best good because the subconscious learns through experience.

Dreams can lead you through extreme versions of prior experiences, but that is all they are. And that includes virtual experiences. I once dreamed about fighting in Vietnam after watching Apocalypse Now. It doesn't mean that I had a "prior life" as a soldier. Just processing a virtual experience and the stress I was going through at the time.

Hippie Warrior

mariomario190

mariomario190

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 109 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:587870
  • Souls Baptized:0

Happened to me once as a little kid. Started crying. I thought I was in shackles. Very, very scary as a little kid. Happened couple of other times. I started dreaming of something I can never explain, something having to do with something moving back and forth... Don't know what is, can't remember it, and never will.

Posted Image

Founded on February 18, 2016

TheSphinxOfDarkness

TheSphinxOfDarkness

Wrought IRON

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 164 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:540468
  • Souls Baptized:0
  • Squadron:Alpha

I've had it before, like a year or two ago. Woke up, tried to lean over on my pillow to go back to sleep, oops! No moving for you! BANG BANG BANG, louder than anything I had ever heard, like a muscle man was banging two metal pipes together, only thing I could do was move my eyes and scream-whisper "Help! Help". I don't think it was demons though, I think the body and mind are just two very complex organisms, sometimes wires get crossed.

Disclaimer: I am a super atheist

Sleep, and dreams are just the way the mind sifts through all the stuff you learned throughout the day (Learn in a general sense) . If you've ever gone a long time without sleep, you'll find it harder and harder to remember stuff, at that point you're truly living in the moment. In my personal belief, the mix of fantasy and reality in dreams comes from visual stimuli mixed with all your thoughts.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

Welcome comrade :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:

I've had it before, like a year or two ago. Woke up, tried to lean over on my pillow to go back to sleep, oops! No moving for you! BANG BANG BANG, louder than anything I had ever heard, like a muscle man was banging two metal pipes together, only thing I could do was move my eyes and scream-whisper "Help! Help". I don't think it was demons though, I think the body and mind are just two very complex organisms, sometimes wires get crossed.

Sleep, and dreams are just the way the mind sifts through all the stuff you learned throughout the day (Learn in a general sense) . If you've ever gone a long time without sleep, you'll find it harder and harder to remember stuff, at that point you're truly living in the moment. In my personal belief, the mix of fantasy and reality in dreams comes from visual stimuli mixed with all your thoughts.

I've looked into this a lot more since this post. 

Basically, when you start falling asleep, the parts of your brain that control movement shut down. You literally become paralyzed. This usually happens just before REM sleep to prevent the body from thrashing. However, sometimes the paralysis stage will come during the transitional stage between awake and asleep. When this happens, it's usually accompanied by terrible visions. However in my case, it happens as I'm falling asleep, not when I'm waking up. It's also happened multiple times (even in one night) which leads me to believe I have narcolepsy, though I think that it may actually just be part of my manic depression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

I remember my parents being concerned that I might have had a sleep disorder when I was a little kid. I had to spend a night in the hospital, to monitor my sleep, but apparently nothing was abnormal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Robert2424

Robert2424

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 5,720 posts
  • Resources:
I've been waking up with scratches the past week in 3 straight lines going down my leg. I'm 6"4 and don't have nails to have done it myself. That simply don't make sense how it happens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

linpingping1314520

linpingping1314520

Forged

• NM|Registered Users
  • 54 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:000000

delete

Edited by DeathMerchant, 08 October 2017 - 05:29 PM.
Spam. Needs deletion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users