Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Falcon Heavy Test Launch: It didn't explode. There's a car in space! 2 out of 3 for booster landing. (link to livestream of car in space)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782
  • Squadron:Kilo

The engines falling back and firing up to land was like something out of an old science fiction movie. That was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I heard the core was lost because only one of the three engines fired up. Musk is an eccentric rich dude, so instead of concrete blocks he used one of his cars for weight. The dummy in a space suit is a tribute to David Bowie. They played Starman during the launch.

To see the stark difference between how Apollo and the shuttle were done compared to a private money operation was just humorous. To go from the white coats, glasses, and pocket protectors to this, was a real change from what I have always seen before. Elon has proven that the private sector can do anything better than any government. A very proud day for us.

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire

I don't get it... What was the point of throwing a car in space?

Shits and giggles. Also Tesla advertising.
This is the firstl launch of a new rocket design. No one wants to stick anything important on it in case it explodes, but you still need a payload to test the thing ( you don't just need to see if the rocket can go up, you need it to be able to carry however many tons at the same time). You also can't really launch a bunch of low cost things, since new designs can easily be delayed. Like if tesla had offered to launch a bunch of cube sats for university students at the Falcon heavies original launch date...they'd have all graduated by now. Also if it does blow up, even if the financial cost isn't huge what the hell does anyone who's thesis was dependant on that experiment do now?  You basically can't do anything useful with the first launch. 

So you launch dead weight. Which is why there are a fair few blocks of concrete and tanks of water floating about the solar system. Cheap, heavy, entirely useless. . SpaceX however...they like to launch silly things. The payload for the dragon capsule test was a massive wheel of cheese, because Monty Python joke.
And yea elon musk owns both companies, and Tesla got the world's greatest car advert out of it. 

Meh. I guess. I'm quite sceptical of Elon. His cars are impressive at face value but even the cheapest ones have ridiculous price tags and are the subject of much criticism. I feel like they are overhyped and by connection, probably Spacex.
But I do like the idea of private space exploration and I hear Spacex is cheap in that market.

*Tackle hugs*!!!

I'm still on Discord. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:610507
  • Squadron:Alpha

Tesla's are overpriced because they're luxury models. Most major production models make money on secondary products (hello maintenance) and on sheer numbers. On the actual car...Toyota makes something like 2k on a Corolla.

Telsa...doesn't move nearly enough product to do that. So they sell high performance (which is actually pretty easy to do for a electric vehicle) feature rich vehicles, and sell fewer, but for more money. They cost a lot for the same reason a BMW or a porsche costs a lot. Even then Tesla's main  focus isn't the car (an electric car is pretty easy relatively speaking) but the battery tech, the deployment of fast charge stations and the potential of autonomous driving tech. The Model X etc exist to justify demand for better batteries, charging stations etc in the hopes that developing and deploying that tech creates a market for cheaper cars with less of a profit margin. 

They're probably betting on the right horse provided we see even fairly modest improvements in battery tech. 

Spacex meanwhile, yea fucking no one else is close to them atm, at least as far as "putting things in space" go. NASA could be but America refuses to fund them and NASA can't develop jackshit without the US military stanking the project up.

If the Falcon heavy meets cost projections and manages to be reliable, they just put nearly every other heavy config rocket out of the market. If lifts more and costs less to launch than the Delta IV Heavy or China's Long March 5. It can get 5 times what the Ariane 5 can to LEO and do it cheaper etc. The SLS will be able to launch heavier loads, but see again the problems with NASA and we're not seeing the thing finished till 2025 minimum. Even then Space X has the BFR under development which, if they meet the design specs, will manage the same launch capacity as the SLS but also have reusable boosters etc (and be able to lift nearly twice what the SLS is spec'd for in a disposable configuration). 

Elon musk gets....way to much hype. But he's building some cool shit. 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

Elon musk gets....way to much hype. But he's building some cool shit.

The people need their stars and celebrities, Elon is just that, but he also happens to be a smart guy with a vision and the wealth to back that vision up. Honestly, if all he accomplishes is to divert public attention away from trash like the Kardashians for 5 minutes a day, it's well worth it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:

The engines falling back and firing up to land was like something out of an old science fiction movie. That was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I heard the core was lost because only one of the three engines fired up. Musk is an eccentric rich dude, so instead of concrete blocks he used one of his cars for weight. The dummy in a space suit is a tribute to David Bowie. They played Starman during the launch.

To see the stark difference between how Apollo and the shuttle were done compared to a private money operation was just humorous. To go from the white coats, glasses, and pocket protectors to this, was a real change from what I have always seen before. Elon has proven that the private sector can do anything better than any government. A very proud day for us.

To be blunt, you are making a monumental amount of assumptions, and some rather baseless comparisons here. 

Space X is able to do what it is now because it's had the opportunity to piggyback onto a ton of expertise and tech they didn't have to develop themselves. The abbitly to land a rocket is not new, this is tech that has existed since long before you were born. 

NASA has been burdened with horrible under funding and saddled with stupid requirements to get that funding since the 60s. THe space shuttle was an over budget shitshow because of stuff like initial design being modified so that the airforce could a launch loads into polar orbit, and then modified again so that the shuttle was 20% overweight and now couldn't do that. Huge chunks of money went into designing systems so the air force could steal satellites, something that was as best as anyone can tell, never used. It was also required to be human rated, which most other launch systems aren't. The shuttle is also 1970s tech, NASA should have had a new launch system 20 years ago, no one bothered to fund it. The same issue is coming up again with the SLS with completely stupid requirements.

The comparison to the apollo program meanwhile is utterly absurd. leaving aside the fact the apollo was cutting edge tech (They basically invented modern rockery during that time period), nothing spaceX has, comes anywhere close to the capabilities of the saturn V let alone  capable of anything close to the moon landings themselves. And again, the Saturn V was human rated. 

Also this should be pointed out: Neither the STS nor the Saturn V were commercial launch systems. Commercial launch systems are things like the Atlas V, Proton, the Delta IV, the Ariane family and so on, all of which are far cheaper to operate than the STS.

It's also absurd to claim that this is a private endeavour. SpaceX has been and will continue to be dependent on public funding for a very long time. While it is "privately funded", that means private parties coughed up the R&D cost in expectation of future profits that take the form of government contracts. Space X's biggest customer is...NASA. it's second biggest company (if you include all those interesting "classified" missions for northop etc) is the USA air force. US tax dollars is what's paid for the Falcon 9 and the Falcon heavy. Because apparently Congress will cheerfully demand NASA pay a private company out of it's tiny budget to do the work, rather than just give NASA the budget to do it in the first place (and do it 20 years ago). 

Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

To be blunt, you are making a monumental amount of assumptions, and some rather baseless comparisons here. The abbitly to land a rocket is not new, this is tech that has existed since long before you were born.

I'm sorry. I was sharing my personal thoughts about what I saw, and the reports I have read. I have never seen rockets land like that... I thought it was pretty damn cool. My comparison was with the people running the operation... big difference between the NASA eggheads and the crew behind this launch... that could compare with any sports bar during a big game. My monumental assumption was that Elon Musk is spending his own money on this, and not U.S. taxpayers... if I'm wrong, I'll be angry about that. Be careful talking about when I was born... I have children that are older than most everyone here. Just sayin' :)

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Captain Crozier

Captain Crozier

IRON Rose

• Vault: Leadership
  • 13,748 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:374610
  • Souls Baptized:7,459,493

I see Captain Crozier driving a car.

A good reason to pull him over.

On duty cop joe issues a ticket:

measured speed: 24,600 mph

speed limit: 65 mph

penalty bill: 24535 x 10 000 $ =245 350 000$.

To pay within 10 days.

Bank account: 

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=568614

Your rights sir:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/police-stops-when-pulled-over-30186.html

BAH, everyone knows cops can't go fast enough to catch me.  No plates.  Deal with it!  B)

374610-iron.png

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

ccabal86

ccabal86

IRON Rose

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 12,373 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:362483
  • Souls Baptized:5,083,976

check mate flat earthers, the livestream is round!

It's not, it's just that the disc is always facing the camera :P
(Technically, the claim that Earth is "round" isn't correct either. it's more of a "geoid")
Uh-oh it seems that undoctored images are starting to emerge:
uploads1518049613736-gElG6n6JZl7TVKoqA6r

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Baptized in Fire and Blood"

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rand0m her0

Rand0m her0

Steadfast

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,259 posts
  • Resources:
Nonsense. Its trivial to prove the earth isn't flat. If is was the cats would have already passed everything off it.
Posted Image

5 points!
Spoiler

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

onbekende

onbekende

IRON King/Queen of Spam!!!

• Special Betsy Mask
  • 26,898 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:012501
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat

Tesla is the same as facebook, twitter and any other internet phenomena under the guise of a multi-billion company. Much "future" richess which seem to keep being "future". That said the R&D coming from Elon's company's is cutting edge.

I believe the "first" somewhat private space launch possiblity to be Sea Launch, mainly using Russian tech.

I still want my pressure test footage :(

Also, you folks call that a "cheese wheel"? That is just a normal cheese you fools :D

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF

2021-03-21-sig.jpg

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fox Fire

Fox Fire

Vice-Chair of the Lobster Party

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 3,767 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:527884
  • Souls Baptized:1,083,443
  • Squadron:Foxtrot
  • Discord ID:Fox Fire
Private space exploration does sound more efficient than government space travel. However it also brings to mind thoughts of a dystopian future. Should humans ever actually colonize space, private companies could grow more powerful than governments. Like something out of Borderlands or other scifi space age stories. That would be my only serious concern for long term private space exploration.

https://youtu.be/qVWaBjR58Ew

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users