Welcome to IRON Forums Website
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Game of Thrones - The Final Season

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Hung Wang

Hung Wang

Baptized

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 751 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:583597
  • Souls Baptized:
  • Squadron:Kilo

I've heard there's going to be a bonus episode as well. The prequel is set about 300 years before these events so they'll only be connected through lore. A sequel is on the way too but I don't know anything about it.

It's my thought that the current fan backlash is similar to The Last Jedi. JJ Abrams did a great job reinvigorating the franchise but then the Last Jedi threw out a lot of possibilities on what could have been. I was extremely disappointed because I spent so much time reading into the fan theories and background information, expecting so much. TWO WHOLE YEARS PASSED BY. It's like seeing a person you were extremely close with years ago, pop back into your life, and as much as the both of you try to rekindle the good times, it won't happen.

Spoiler

As for "writing" or whatever... The script work is very to the point, the transition of time seems nonexistent, and character development appears lacking. The past 7 seasons had numerous character arcs, developing across continents, over many years. This last season is two locations: the north and king's landing and two pivotal battles sequences. All of our characters are fully developed. The only thing remaining is for the show to subvert viewer's expectations and give people something to talk about. Hypothetically if the show took a roundabout way to kill the bad guys and have Jon and Dany hook up and rule together, then it wouldn't be game of thrones. It wouldn't be a final season as worthy of discussion. I say stay ten dragon toes down.

Who else has been watching this show since it's premiered? I've noticed there's a difference in how people feel based on how much time they've actually spent anticipating or watching this series.

"-17.60 - Your population absolutely hates you."

Posted Image

Life is the difference between jumping out of a third story window and jumping off a penthouse suite.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:391465
  • Souls Baptized:1,724,782

Who else has been watching this show since it's premiered?

*Raises Hand*

Since the wall tunnel door raises in the very first frame... "Get back on your horse". :)

Arya has always been my favorite character... but Sandor Clegane made me laugh the most. "Everybody dies... Except this one"

Woke (adj.)

A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough

to find injustice in everything except their own behavior.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fermion

Fermion

Thirsty for moar

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,538 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:585857
  • Souls Baptized:1,086,384
  • Squadron:Alpha
  • Discord ID:Fermion#3255

I have never read any of the books... I'm all about the show. It's long past up the books, so I really don't care how much it sticks to the source material at this point. The actions of the characters are pretty much in line with the way they have always been throughout the show.

If you like the show, you'd love the books. Most of the best dialogues in the show come from the books, most of the good storylines too. Dany in particular is probably going down this path in the books too, but the show version seems too rushed after season 7 and 8. The characters and fates of many players in the show are so different, its probably better to call them different characters altogether. They should have taken up HBO on making more episodes to wrap up the storylines satisfactorily.

I agree this is a disappointing ending, but most shows seem to end badly. There are too many threads to tie, or the writers got burnt out, or the smoke monster was a pissed off, shape shifting guy with *issues* - oh wait, that was Lost. Seriously, there’s no way they could satisfy everyone, but I think the characters have stayed largely true to themselves. Dani has done some really fucked up crap in almost every country she’s stayed in. Jamie just couldn’t not love Cersei and be there for her. 

The Cleganes are Cleg-gone now, although Gregor, The Mountain, was turned into a Frankenstein monster and I wonder if he’s unkillable. Of course he’s dead, but a girl can wonder. Sandor is a cuddly puppy at heart, nice moment with Arya. 

Euron got blasted straight on by a dragon, didn’t burn, and swam to shore at just the right place and time to fight Jamie??? Yeah, okay, whatever. Be kinda fun if Dani told Drogon to “draconus” Jon, but Drogon refused to kill his first cousin. 

Tyrian would be a better king than Jon because Jon is just too foolish and doesn’t learn. He broods really well, though. Does Westeros want a not too bright, but handsome, emo king? Probably. And he does have the strongest claim to the throne he would prefer not to have. I liked they had flashes of green quick fire in the cinematography, forgot to mention all this before.

There were some legit great character arcs, Theon and Jaime are the biggest examples. I would side with you about Dany. The earlier seasons were leading up to this, and i'm sure the books will still lead up to this too, but the lead up itself felt unsatisfying. This is a girl who was doing nothing but listening to her advisors in the last 2 seasons, chained up her dragons because one of her children killed a mireeneese child, was so hesitant about going against king's landing because of the people that would be killed in an earlier season just burned the whole of king's landing. Red Keep, I could understand, but she burned the whole city. This seems so rushed after what's happened in the last two seasons. They had the choice to extend the season, even get more (HBO wanted them to have more), but they rushed the season and the story arcs so they could get it over with. 

And you're right. I think Tyrion would probably be a better king than Jon. Jon in the show is a shallow reflection of his book self. Jon's not just supposed to be honorable, he's also pragmatic. They just made him a brooding figurehead with terrible battle plans. Just not wanting to be king doesn't make one a good ruler. Robert didn't want to be king. He was a good man at heart, but his actions cost the realm a lot, ultimately causing the war for 5 kings. 

The cinematography and acting are so good this season though. Dany's state when Tyrion meets her broke my heart. The shots at both Battle of Winterfell, and KL were beautiful. I didn't get the pale horse imagery (death rides it or something like that?), but it was awesome. 

I hear there's gonna be a bonus episode and a prequel is planned to explain all the other stuff

I hoped they'd do the Dunk and Egg novellas. CoTF and White Walker take so much CGI they could half ass it, like they did with Jon and Ghost's goodbye.

no offices held rn

Posted Image

Get a trade circle here | ITF Guide | War Guide

Apply for War Aid | Delta Squad Bar

U had no mp no sdi no military wonder actually :lol:
Kuch bhi kaho bhai dilar admi ho tussi
Sunnny deol ho sunny deol

The differance between IRON and some rag tag alliance is the fact that we will fight with no reguard to our own nations. Putting the greater good of the whole before ourselves. Victory for all or they will have to fight us to the last point of infa in the last IRON nation. Every so often someone(s) will come around and exemplifie this. Living up to the IRON Values. It gives me great pleaser to baptize three of IRON's up and comers.
Fermion, you have been Baptized in Fire and Blood and Emerged as IRON!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fermion

Fermion

Thirsty for moar

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,538 posts
  • Resources:
All of our characters are fully developed. The only thing remaining is for the show to subvert viewer's expectations and give people something to talk about

I'd hope they took decisions for the sake of story rather than subverting expectations. Arya killing night king was a cool moment, but Arya's arc was not about the white walkers, it was about revenge. They built up the night king for 8 seasons, then killed him off in the first real battle. Jon snow didn't pet ghost because costs, while we have Dany petting her dragons almost every episode. There were no consequences for Lord Glover's oathbreaking, the whole continent seems to be comprised of like 5 houses. There's almost no political intrigue except for Sansa telling Tyrion Jon's secret. Writers didn't have Euron catch on to Tyrion's 'you're not mad' speech's implications, and according the them, the reason Dany was surprised by Euron's magic ships was because she forgot about him despite being reminded of him literally a scene before. Hope the prequel's better thought out, atleast.

no offices held rn

Posted Image

The differance between IRON and some rag tag alliance is the fact that we will fight with no reguard to our own nations. Putting the greater good of the whole before ourselves. Victory for all or they will have to fight us to the last point of infa in the last IRON nation. Every so often someone(s) will come around and exemplifie this. Living up to the IRON Values. It gives me great pleaser to baptize three of IRON's up and comers.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:

Writers didn't have Euron catch on to Tyrion's 'you're not mad' speech's implications, and the reason Euron was surprised by Euron was because Dany forgot about him despite being reminded of him literally a scene before.

I totally can't understand this sentence... and your previous post was everything Sister already said... I was reading double. :)

The thing I don't like the most about this season... it's already been said... it's so rushed it feels uncomfortable. Previous seasons, all the characters were traveling all over, and the journey was so much of the show. This season, they make their plans to sail to Dragonstone, or march south to Kings Landing... and the next scene is them arriving there. You feel like you missed a few episodes.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fermion

Fermion

Thirsty for moar

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,538 posts
  • Resources:

I totally can't understand this sentence and your previous post was everything Sister already said... I was reading double.

The formatting got a bit wonky. Sorry for that. I have edited it.

I meant to say, when Tyrion tried to negotiate with Cersei, he told her that she wasn't mad, and that she'd always loved her children. He told her she should surrender for the sake of her child. Now how would Tyrion know about Cersei and Euron's kid when even Euron just found out about it? The director for the episode said that Euron wasn't the point of the scene, and that he wasn't paying attention, and that is why he didn't catch on. If they had to include that line, they should've just excluded Euron from the scene. If they had him in the scene and set up that conflict, it should have paid off. But no, it didn't, because the writers didn't want to. This season and the previous one has been full of these kind of conflicts. They set up a potentially interesting conflict and then it's immediately resolved by some stupid means/rationalisation.

And it's not just that the timelines are rushed. As I said above, they have eagerly finished off entire storylines unceremoniously, they have rushed through and discarded interesting conflicts and games of political intrigue, and they have disregarded most of the other houses and the politics of westeros to rush the ending.

no offices held rn

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Fermion

Fermion

Thirsty for moar

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,538 posts
  • Resources:

The Game of Thrones prequel has begun filming! Working title is Blood Moon, GRRM wants to call it The long night. It will be set in the long night when the wight walkers were defeated by the combined forces of CoTF, first men, giants, night's watch etc.  :D

no offices held rn

Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

brewersalliance

brewersalliance

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,811 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:602775
  • Souls Baptized:1539600
  • Squadron:Foreign Diplomat
  • Discord ID:brewersalliance

if the recent writing is any indication, this new show is gonna be straight trash.  

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Brewersalliance: Lover of the Pack and Beer. Hater of the Bears and Cheese.

Nukes Delivered for IRON-31

Nukes Taken for IRON-44

You are bresky, Brewsky, Brewers, stud-muffin, Mr. Sexypants, and that cute guy over in IA.

TO: Brewersalliance | FROM: SeaBeeGipson
TYPE: Nuclear Missile Strike | DATE: 8/18/2017 9:07:26 AM
Your nation has been attacked with nuclear weapons in a standard nuclear attack by SeaBeeGipson. You lost 488 soldiers, 0 defending tanks, 0 cruise missiles, 1.602 miles of land, 0.000 technology, 103.283 infrastructure, 75% of your aircraft, and 25% of your nuclear vulnerable navy force. In addition to these losses your nation will experience many days of economic devastation.Your clones are dead

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight

The IRON Maiden

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,988 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:592482
  • Souls Baptized:Plenty
  • Squadron:Delta

if the recent writing is any indication, this new show is gonna be straight trash.  

Everyone will be invested in having a successful new show, therefore it will be quality writing, like the early seasons of GoT. They’ve been doing a rush job to tie everything up, that is why things have deteriorated.

Posted Image

( @ )( @ ) The official salute from women in the great, nudist nation of Secor. I'm naked and very excited to be here.

Posted Image
The Supercalifragalisticexpealadocious Award

"This award was custom made for a special person. Its gleam reflects the endearment of the people that she leads. Awarded to the IRON Maiden, Sister Midnight."

[center]~~A partner in Blade's crimes~~[center]Nukes taken for IRON since restarting on 6/10/2016: I stopped counting after 69.

Sister Midnight has been Baptized in Fire and Blood and emerged as IRON!

The people of Antropomorphica join their leaders in welcoming the discovery of this previously unknown colony of Secor in the wilds of South America. They organised an airdrop of money and soldiers to protect this fledgling state as it undergoes construction (I mean... 1k infra at day 1 guys... come on!).

(@)#(@)
_ # _
_ # _
_ # _
8========D ~~

from our leaders to yours.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

brewersalliance

brewersalliance

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,811 posts
  • Resources:

Everyone will be invested in having a successful new show, therefore it will be quality writing, like the early seasons of GoT. They’ve been doing a rush job to tie everything up, that is why things have deteriorated.

the writing was good because they had source material.  when they had to come up with their own details they sucked. Plus spin offs are either hits or misses, not much in between

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nukes Taken for IRON-44

You are bresky, Brewsky, Brewers, stud-muffin, Mr. Sexypants, and that cute guy over in IA.

Your nation has been attacked with nuclear weapons in a standard nuclear attack by SeaBeeGipson. You lost 488 soldiers, 0 defending tanks, 0 cruise missiles, 1.602 miles of land, 0.000 technology, 103.283 infrastructure, 75% of your aircraft, and 25% of your nuclear vulnerable navy force. In addition to these losses your nation will experience many days of economic devastation.Your clones are dead

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight

The IRON Maiden

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,988 posts
  • Resources:

the writing was good because they had source material.  when they had to come up with their own details they sucked. Plus spin offs are either hits or misses, not much in between

They passed the source material when Jon was murdered, but as I recall, they continued to produce good material after.

Posted Image

( @ )( @ ) The official salute from women in the great, nudist nation of Secor. I'm naked and very excited to be here.

Posted Image

"This award was custom made for a special person. Its gleam reflects the endearment of the people that she leads. Awarded to the IRON Maiden, Sister Midnight."

[center]~~A partner in Blade's crimes~~[center]Nukes taken for IRON since restarting on 6/10/2016: I stopped counting after 69.

The people of Antropomorphica join their leaders in welcoming the discovery of this previously unknown colony of Secor in the wilds of South America. They organised an airdrop of money and soldiers to protect this fledgling state as it undergoes construction (I mean... 1k infra at day 1 guys... come on!).

(@)#(@)
_ # _
_ # _
_ # _
8========D ~~

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

brewersalliance

brewersalliance

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,811 posts
  • Resources:

parts of season 6 had source material to work with

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nukes Taken for IRON-44

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight

The IRON Maiden

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,988 posts
  • Resources:

*Raises Hand*"

Me too. And read all the books, some of which were mediocre.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(@)#(@)
_ # _
_ # _
_ # _
8========D ~~

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

brewersalliance

brewersalliance

Theo's Defeat

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 17,811 posts
  • Resources:

*Raises Hand*"

cough cough feast for crows cough cough

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nukes Taken for IRON-44

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Rhizoctonia

Rhizoctonia

Retired

• NM|Former Member
  • 7,698 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:314185
  • Souls Baptized:7,436,130

Worst Season Ever

Posted Image

Former Government Of The East India Company(VOC)
Posted Image

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight

The IRON Maiden

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,988 posts
  • Resources:
Tagged the wrong person so disregard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(@)#(@)
_ # _
_ # _
_ # _
8========D ~~

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight

The IRON Maiden

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,988 posts
  • Resources:

*Raises Hand*"

cough cough feast for crows cough coughhttps://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

Your siggy is so last month

Posted Image

Posted Image

(@)#(@)
_ # _
_ # _
_ # _
8========D ~~

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Hung Wang

Hung Wang

Baptized

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 751 posts
  • Resources:
  • CN Nation ID:583597
  • Souls Baptized:

All of our characters are fully developed. The only thing remaining is for the show to subvert viewer's expectations and give people something to talk about

I'd hope they took decisions for the sake of story rather than subverting expectations. Arya killing night king was a cool moment, but Arya's arc was not about the white walkers, it was about revenge. They built up the night king for 8 seasons, then killed him off in the first real battle. Jon snow didn't pet ghost because costs, while we have Dany petting her dragons almost every episode. There were no consequences for Lord Glover's oathbreaking, the whole continent seems to be comprised of like 5 houses. There's almost no political intrigue except for Sansa telling Tyrion Jon's secret. Writers didn't have Euron catch on to Tyrion's 'you're not mad' speech's implications, and according the them, the reason Dany was surprised by Euron's magic ships was because she forgot about him despite being reminded of him literally a scene before. Hope the prequel's better thought out, atleast.

*SPOILERS* (although I think it's already mostly been spoiled)

With regards to Euron's ship, I believe they edited that scene once again to show how the entire scene played out. Someone figured out that part of what was shown in the preview was not in the actual episode. There's a lot of bad editing if you ask me and choices made for sure. In the actual scene, ONLY ONE scorpion hit Rhaegal, but there was an entire barrage heading his direction. On the other hand, with this most recent episode, you find out just how deadly a dragon is with a rider. Remember the night king? He mastered it and neither Jon nor Dany alone would have beaten him in the air. When a dragon has a rider, it's a lot more focused, and has a second set of eyes (expectations undermined).

I feel for Dany because when Jon betrayed Dany and told Sansa, who told Tyrion, who told Varys, who sent ravens to the lords of the realm establishing Jon's claim to the throne, and tried to poison Dany. Tyrion told Dany which confirmed it. There was no emotion when Varys was executed. This may be the best politics we get all season. I as of this moment do not know what to expect next episode.

On separate note, I think there's positives to last episodes. When the lead up to the battle started, it was an incredible scene - seeing the golden company walking through the streets, Euron's fleeting making formation, and even how the camera panned through the scene right before Drogon busts through the gate and burns the golden company (again - expectations undermined).

It's hard to pin blame somewhere specific without feeling reluctant. At this point I have strong feelings for everyone except Cersei's character.

Remember how Jaime entered king's landing? He didn't bother go ring the bells but instead chose the selfish route, rescue Cersei. Good job, asshole. Takes me back to when Qyburn asked Jaime how many men he's killed - a hundred? a thousand? Jaime responds with 'countless,' remarking of the nice ring it has. Then when his morality is questioned, how many lives he saved, he responds with, "half a million... the population of king's landing." Now he doesn't give two shits about the 1-point-something million living in king's landing. Fuck Jaime Lanister and his stupid redemption plot line. I'm glad their characters didn't get a better death scene. Watching the tomb slowly crumble, as the rubble makes its way towards them leisurely, was too nice. The only thing that would have made it sweeter is if the iron throne fell through and crushed them both somehow.

Rhizo has a valid point because in a show with so many incredible seasons and events, there must be a worst. Imagine if this season ended up with universal acclaim, what would be the worst season then?

Edited by Hung Wang, 16 May 2019 - 03:59 PM.

"-17.60 - Your population absolutely hates you."

Posted Image

Life is the difference between jumping out of a third story window and jumping off a penthouse suite.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Lysistrata

Lysistrata

IRONclad

• BR|Member
  • 7,133 posts
  • Resources:
I meant to say, when Tyrion tried to negotiate with Cersei, he told her that she wasn't mad, and that she'd always loved her children. He told her she should surrender for the sake of her child. Now how would Tyrion know about Cersei and Euron's kid when even Euron just found out about it?

Oh damn! I get what you're saying now. I never believed that Cersei was really pregnant, I believed she was just acting like she was to manipulate everyone. Guess we will never know, but yes, if Euron heard Tyrion say that, he would have immediately lost his mind. He has never been the one to hold his tongue. Thanks for pointing out that obvious flaw, and a story line that should've had a conclusion.

Woke (adj.)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight

The IRON Maiden

• NM⎪Inactive
  • 4,988 posts
  • Resources:

I feel for Dany because when Jon betrayed Dany and told Sansa, who told Tyrion, who told Varys, who sent ravens to the lords of the realm establishing Jon's claim to the throne, and tried to poison Dany. Tyrion told Dany which confirmed it. There was no emotion when Varys was executed. This may be the best politics we get all season. I as of this moment do not know what to expect next episode.

Jon did not betray Dani. He never said he would keep that a secret and it is his right to discuss with family. Just because she says he betrayed her doesn’t make it so.

On the other hand Varys did betray Dani and attempt to kill her. She’s lost everyone she has ever loved or trusted, she FEELS betrayed by the guy she loves, but dumped her, her heart has been broken into tiny pieces, she is deeply grief stricken over Missandre, and she has no emotion left to show as she roasts one of her newest staffers for trying to kill her.

All she has is rage and paranoia and grief and I’d imagine rage is the easiest emotion to grasp onto, especially as she goes to battle for the throne she feels utterly entitled to. She’s too angry to accept surrender, she’s too angry to just roast the Red Keep, she needs to be the queen of ashes.

Remember how Jaime entered king's landing? He didn't bother go ring the bells but instead chose the selfish route, rescue Cersei. Good job, asshole. Takes me back to when Qyburn asked Jaime how many men he's killed - a hundred? a thousand? Jaime responds with 'countless,' remarking of the nice ring it has. Then when his morality is questioned, how many lives he saved, he responds with, "half a million... the population of king's landing." Now he doesn't give two shits about the 1-point-something million living in king's landing. Fuck Jaime Lanister and his stupid redemption plot line. I'm glad their characters didn't get a better death scene. Watching the tomb slowly crumble, as the rubble makes its way towards them leisurely, was too nice. The only thing that would have made it sweeter is if the iron throne fell through and crushed them both somehow..

Jamie came to Kings Landing to save Cersei. He did not know exactly what he would find, but that was his goal. He got stopped and detained before he could reach her. Tyrian released him to save Cersei and flee. He did not make it into the fortress, so he had to go around back and sneak in. At no point did he have access to ringing any bells. I do not know if he would have rung them if he could, but the point was moot. He is a complex character, who could have been a reformed villain, but could not resist his need to save his wombmate and their unborn child. He knew Cersei had a hit out on him, but stayed true to his emotions. We can call him a schmuck for it all, but that is who he is.

I meant to say, when Tyrion tried to negotiate with Cersei, he told her that she wasn't mad, and that she'd always loved her children. He told her she should surrender for the sake of her child. Now how would Tyrion know about Cersei and Euron's kid when even Euron just found out about it?

Oh damn! I get what you're saying now. I never believed that Cersei was really pregnant, I believed she was just acting like she was to manipulate everyone. Guess we will never know, but yes, if Euron heard Tyrion say that, he would have immediately lost his mind. He has never been the one to hold his tongue. Thanks for pointing out that obvious flaw, and a story line that should've had a conclusion.
The only reason I believe she was pregnant is because she said she did not want to lose the baby as she and Jamie hug and die together. Apparently she already name the kid, which in TV Land means it will probably not be born. On the other hand she is not showing in the slightest and has been pregnant for like 20 months.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(@)#(@)
_ # _
_ # _
_ # _
8========D ~~

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users